In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RUGER 44 carbine

gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to get a ruger 44 carbine on a trade with a serial #5740 I have not seen the gun yet but I'm wondering how much would this gun be worth as I don't need it and would probably sell it and what I trading for it is worth $550 in elctronics that the other party wants.
thanks for any help you guys can give

Comments

• gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello;

looking on gb and saw ads for ruger 44 carbines, pre and post warning. pls. explain pre/post warning on the ruge 44 carbine. thank.

rp
    edited November -1
    Im having trouble with this rifle as the bolt locks open after each round is fired? Any ideas and thanks
    edited November -1
    What makes some of these firearms more expensive then the others? I see the DEERFIELD model fetches a higher price but is there any difference between the regular 44 carbines that makes some worth more than other 44 carbines? I am seeing prices between 6 and 900$. Wondering why the difference
    edited November -1
    What can I use to secure the lifter latch pivot pin in place in the lifter latch? The pin has become loose over many years of use and it causes the action to lock up.
    edited November -1
    Is this special with checkered stock ? Cant find any here with checkered stock ..Thanks

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=234934186
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Ruger .44 mag carbine has a tubular magazine whereas the Deerfield uses a detachable mag. The early versions of the original models are somewhat collectible especially if in excellent condition.

I have both an original model and a Deerfield and I actually prefer the workmanship of the original. The only thing I can attribute to the price variations would be condition since, I believe, Ruger no longer makes either model.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's also the lever action 96/44. I was shocked to look at the auctions & see the prices they are asking for those. I may have to consider selling mine.
    edited November -1
    That's what I was thinking on the tube fed as well. I have one in excellent condition but not sure if I want to part with it or not. Not very useable rifle as far as accuracy goes
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i had a early finger grooved ruger 44 auto and ask 800.00 for it and took 725.00. mr myopic.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The.44 auto loading carbines were the first rifles that Sturm Ruger ever produced. They date back to 1961. The first of these were stamped as DEERSTALKER models. Ithaca produced a shotgun named the DEERSLAYER and Ruger dropped the DEERSTALKER name rather than face a possible lawsuit over the gun's name. These early Ruger's bring the highest prices. Many people still call all Ruger 44 autoloaders DEERSTALKERs but very few are so marked on the receiver, probably less than 2000 and mostly made in 1961. The .44 Magnum carbines were made much like a pump action shotgun and work similarly. Eventually they were dropped due to poor sales or due to costs of manufacture. Later a new model autoloader .44 appeared. It was called the DEERFIELD. It had an open top action like a 30 M1 carbine and used a rotary detachable magazine. They were discontinued about 10 years ago. As they were the most recently made .44 autoloaders, their prices were higher due to inflation and the normal rise of gun prices.
    edited November -1
    So how about the tube fed 44 carbine?
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the .44 auto rifles were tube fed until the DEERFIELD carbine with a rotary magazine was produced.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The bear hunters in this neck of the woods where real big on the older 44 mag semi auto's. I have an old model, it's a PIA to load and unload, other than that, they are a good reliable gun.
    W.D.