In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ten Round Magazines In N.Y?

AdironduckAdironduck Member Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
In many of the auctions for 10 round magazines the seller states he will not ship to New York State with the new magazine restriction of 7 rounds. I've read the guidelines shown on Governor Coumunist's website that the new 7 round limitation does not go into effect until April 15,2013. Why are auction sellers not shipping now?

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    They don't understand the grace period.

Here are the Q&A's: http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't blame them.
    I would not involve myself in a transaction with a "grace period" of less than three months.
  • AdironduckAdironduck Member Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I don't blame them.
    I would not involve myself in a transaction with a "grace period"of less than three months."

Why is that?
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not even USPS takes that long to deliver. There should be no problem getting shipments into the state before the deadline. That is, if the seller is ethical and actually HAS the magazines he is advertising and isn't going to backorder them.
    edited November -1
    I would not do it because Mr Bloomberg has a history of sending private detectives outside his jurisdiction to stir up trouble.

You cannot count on FAQs - the images of unassault weapons are ludicrous - but it seems that the M1 Garand and the 1941 Johnson cannot be classified as assault weapons because they do not accept detachable magazines. The question is, must I deform my Garand clips and plug my Johnson magazine to hold only 7?
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do the sellers not want to ship to NY State? Because demand for magazines is so high right now, they don't have to. No need for them to do any work, read any laws, or take any chances, when there are a gazillion other bidders for the magazines.

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I would not do it because Mr Bloomberg has a history of sending private detectives outside his jurisdiction to stir up trouble.

First of all he's the Mayor of New York city (not NY State) and as they say in China, the Emperor is far away. He has no jurisdiction to enforce State law, and without a warrant opening US mail is a Federal felony.

If he pulls this sort of stunt in the wrong jurisdiction he's going to find himself on the wrong end of a Federal prosecution by some conservative prosecutor who wants to make a name for himself.

quote:
    You cannot count on FAQs - the images of unassault weapons are ludicrous - but it seems that the M1 Garand and the 1941 Johnson cannot be classified as assault weapons because they do not accept detachable magazines. The question is, must I deform my Garand clips and plug my Johnson magazine to hold only 7?

My understanding is that you can possess pre-existing detachable magazines that hold over 7 rounds, its just a crime to LOAD them with more than seven. (Yeah, that's a brilliant maneuver that will prevent criminals intent on multiple homicide).

Its little consolation now, but there is a real chance that in the post-Heller environment, this provision of the law won't stand judicial review, because 10 rounds is widely accepted as the minimum standard for modern auto magazines everywhere in the USA (including NY). I don't see how the State of NY is going to be able to argue in front of the US Supreme Court that its own NY State police officers need 15 round magazines to protect State residents, but that its NOT an unreasonable restriction of second amendment rights to let people have 15 round magazines to protect themselves.
    edited November -1
    Mr Bloomberg has a track record of interfering outside his jurisdiction. Nobody has prosecuted yet in spite of opportunites to do so.

It typically takes years for a case to wend its way through the courts to the Supremes. By then the denizens of NY will have become resigned to their fate and we will have a couple more Liberal justices who will not see things our way in the "Living Constitution."
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Mr Bloomberg has a track record of interfering outside his jurisdiction. Nobody has prosecuted yet in spite of opportunites to do so.

It typically takes years for a case to wend its way through the courts to the Supremes. By then the denizens of NY will have become resigned to their fate and we will have a couple more Liberal justices who will not see things our way in the "Living Constitution."

We now know that you are a *, please tell us more about your friends.
    edited November -1
    Isn't your sig line a little out date?
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can sell/buy 10 round magazines until April 15th plain and simple. Anybody who feels they do not want to send anything into our state well F*&* yea then. You can keep them.