In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger AC 5.56

z3beemerz3beemer Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a legally owned AC 5.56 full auto. Today the extractor broke. Does anyone know it a standard Mini 14 extractor will work? From the picture the look the same.

Comments

• burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, they use the same bolt assembly. the extractors will interchange with no problems.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    As far as I am aware the two rifles share the same extractor, which is probably a weak point on the selective fire AC556. Brownells usually has Ruger parts in stock.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you google Ruger parts for your auto and determine who to contact at Ruger they are usually very helpful and mail you the currently available "sometimes improved part" for free.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    just send the bolt back to ruger they will rebuild it.

of course contact them first!!!!!! or just order another bolt from them
    they are one and the same as all mini 14's

I would send the bolt back and let them deal with it[;)]

i too have a AC 556 [:p][:)][^] have not shot it in 2-3 years ,time to get it running again[;)]
  • MarvMarv Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the reasons I bought one years ago was that they were covered under Ruger's Lifetime warranty. That apparently changed a year or two ago. I haven't needed anything from them and haven't checked to see if they even work on them anymorre. Please post the outcome/resolution of your problem.
  • z3beemerz3beemer Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spoke with Ruger and they told me they no longer support the AC556. They do not work on them or have any parts available. I asked if the extractor on the 556 bolt was the same as the mini 14 and they told me no. Although I do not currently have a mini 14, the ac556 part did not look like anything special. So I orderd a standard extractor, extractor spring and plunger from Brownell. I figured if it didnt work maybe I'd be able to modify it to work. Turns out it fit exactly. It was a bit of a challange getting the plunger and spring compressed while inserting the extractor but I finally got it (would have been a lot easier with 2 people). I think the total cost of the parts with expidited shipping was like $20. Tested it out works perfect in semi, 3 rd burst and full auto. No filing or fitting was required. I just ordered 2 more from Brownell so I have a few spares on hand...just in case.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That begs the question.

What is the difference between the AC556 and the Mini 14 extractors?
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    That begs the question.

What is the difference between the AC556 and the Mini 14 extractors?

I would wager it is only the heat treating/ tempering used.
  • burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I told you in a previous post they are the exact same thing. ruger simply doesn't want to help anyone fix their ac556. bill ruger said himself yrs ago he never intended the ac556 for civilians, it was strictly for police or military use and put a stop to servicing them. they will tell you they ran out of parts. right! there is a huge market for ac556 parts and they could make money off them, but they refuse to make any more. remember when bill sr said no one needs more than 5rds!

when I had my ac556 ( traded for m-16, best thing I ever did! ) I bought 2 complete parts kits. never needed any parts, but nice to have them.