In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Percussion Lock Patent Model

old-armsold-arms Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
I found this item at a yard sale marked TOY GUN!! - I knew it was not a toy but did not know exactly what it was. After some research I found it to be a Firearms Patent Model. As you can see it is High Quality work-- SOLOMON RUSH OF REYNODSBURG OHIO == IMPROVMENT IN LOCKS FOR FIRE-ARMS -- MAY 22,1874-- MY QUESTION IS -- Why would a Gunsmith put all this work and time on this percussion lock when by 1874 all new firearms were Cartridge guns. The only thought I have is he was building High Quality Percussion Gallery Target Rifles. I would appreciate any thoughts in this matter -- ALSO -- Is there anyone out there that may have a gun made by SOLOMON RUSH ??patent_1.JPGpatent_2.JPG[img][/img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/patent_3.JPGpatent_4.JPGpatent_5.JPG

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your extra wide screen layout is annoying. Why does Bubba do anything. There are people today that hand forge their own barrels and locks, some do mighty fine work.

It reminds me of the sample new Savage accutrigger they have a the gun store for folks to fondle. Perhaps it was an inletting practice project for a budding gunsmith.

added I once considered building a modern Ferguson rifle. Swivel breech in stainless steel with a O-ring enhanced seals and a piezoelectric ignition.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that both muzzle and breech loading naval guns and artillery. Using external percussion cap ignition. Were still being made, and in wide use in the 1870's.

The way that the lock is designed with all the parts being external. Perhaps that is what he designed it for? Rather than use for a conventional rifle.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Rush was apparently a gunsmith and not a gunmaker. Nonetheless, your piece is a very interesting example of firearms curiosa. My late friend, Norm Flayderman, loved those unusual items.