In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1000 yard cartridge?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Which cartridge would make a better cartridge for my planned 1000 yard rifle? The 308 or the 6.5x284?

Comments

• CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a gi-hughic question.

Depends on the type of rifle you are building.

Depends on what you are shooting at 1000 yards. Hunting? Benchrest? F Class? Palma? Tin cans?

There is no such thing as a best cartridge.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO the 6.5. But I'm kinda partial to the 6.5 Creedmoor.[^]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The critical factor is the ballistic coefficient of the bullet being fired. The upper end of BC in 308 are in bullets weighing at least 210 grains, while the upper end in .264 bullets is in the 160 and up weights. As such, the powder capacity of the 308 is insufficient to push bullets weighing over 200 grains fast enough to be competitive, compared to the velocities available from the necked 284 with 160 grain bullets. So for targets at 1000 yards the 6.5x284 would be expected to outperform the 308. Now if you use a cartridge that will handle the heavier .308 bullets, such at the 300 RUM, 300/378 etc; then the advantage goes back to the .308 bullets.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the 2 listed choices I'd vote for the 6.5mm, but I'm way more fond of the Hornady Match 7mm 162gr boattail hollow points out of a 7mm Rem Mag.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In my mind, the 6.5X284 offers no real advantage over many of the other 6.5s out there, including the ancient 6.5X55. But while many of the 6.5s will be able to take advantage of the high BC of heavier bullets, the 308 not so much. As said, the bigger 30s are another story. So I'd say the 6.5.

That said, I've seen some really good groups shot at 1000 with the .308 and it's largely a question of shooter ability and load development.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Cheechako says, it depends strongly on what you will be doing at the firing line.
    NRA Long Range and F-Class have rules that affect caliber choice.
    The wannabeasnipper shoots are less restrictive, but you still need to know the rules.

And don't limit yourself to those two. There are others to choose from. The various 7mms are regaining some popularity.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are all good. Having to choose what you put out there, I would go 308, just for availability of good components. If I could change it, I would either go 6.5mm Creedmore, or more so to the 260 Remington. If you want something more...6.5mmSAUM-4S.

Best
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend JJ Conway shot a 6 shot string at 1000 yds using a 6.5mm/284 which measured 2.236 inches. Which gives you some idea of the precision obtainable from this cartridge. And not too bad shooting for an eighty year old shooter.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    .308 doesn't make enough velocity with heavy high BC bullets. You will never see one win a serious 1000 yard benchrest match.

6.5 x .284 does. It has more case capacity than a .308, and the high BC bullets are lighter.

I'd actually pick a 6mmBR or similar, if you are punching paper. If punching big game, .300 Win Mag is a good choice.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very dependent on the notion of:

1 - for what purpose?

2 - on what sort of platform?

3 - why limit to those two chamberings only?

4 - IF totally open-ended for chambering, etc. I'd be looking to the .338 in the Lapua, RUM or Norma, or variation thereof - IF not shooting all day long! The posible ballistics are near unbelievable.

( IMVHO )