In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping Advice... will dealer ship for me?? Thx.

scifi3dzooscifi3dzoo Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Buyer is telling me shipping should not be $100 but like $30. I read here that UPS and FedEx are the only options using "Over Night" only. I am not a dealer and neither is the buyer. They are setting it up on their end to get FFL/Dealer delivery. Can a dealer on my end ship it too? Maybe they can ship cheaper. I thought I read on GB.com that you guys have a network of dealers you work with to take care of shipping between non-FFL buyers and sellers???

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it you're shipping a handgun?
    If so, then yes, it must go over night via ups/fedex if you ship it.
    Your local FFL dealer, however, can ship it via Post Office at a much lower rate. Call one or three of your local dealers to see what they would charge to do this.
    Bear in mind the dealer might charge a bit more than you anticipate, but it won't be nearly as much as over night.
  • scifi3dzooscifi3dzoo Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh yea.. sorry.. Handgun yes. I know that limits options too.
    FFL can do that. WOW. I thought USPS won't take any handguns from anybody?? Only other long guns. I figure.. they might do like a Pack and Ship place... if shipping is $20 they'll charge a $10-$20 fee.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not familiar with any of local FFL dealers. Ask around at the shooting ranges. See if you can get local person, who actually has utilized one for shipping a handgun.

When you find somebody with good references. Get everything in writing. As your total cost will include his transfer fee, shipping and insurance.

Be aware if you're shipping a handgun, certain States and Cities. Won't allow high capacity guns, or guns not on their approved list. To be transferred/sold, no matter if it has been sent through a FFL dealer. If you ship one of these guns, you might wind up with it in limbo. Having to recover from the FFL dealer, it was sent to.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handguns may be MAILED only between licensed dealers and manufacturers in the ordinary course of business. A large number of postal employees have little knowledge of their own regulations.

You can use the "Find a FFL" feature here in GB-just plug in your zip code. Then call them and ask them what their charges would be.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Let's say a dealer charges $30 for the transfer. A USPS flat rate box with insurance will be about 15 bucks. So $45 to ship.

That's a lot cheaper than most overnight fedex/ups options.

This said, if the gun you're selling (and this is just general advice to anyone) isn't worth at least a few hundred dollars, you probably would make out better putting it in on consignment somewhere, or selling in person at a gun show. I know I had a used Bersa Thunder I was looking to sell, but after considering the $50 in shipping fees on a gun I knew would go for about 200, plus or minus, and considering the local gun store charges 25% consignment and it would be a fast sell for them, I was right at the break even point either way, but the gun store was less hassle. Took it in, dropped it off, he sold it at a show that weekend, job done.

Would I do that with a thousand dollar gun? Well no. Then it's worth the shipping costs, transfer fees, etc.
    edited November -1
    I thought USPS would not take "hand guns" from anybody... even dealers? That's what it says here in the FAQ. It says I can ship it not being a FFL/Dealer too. But only Over Night which is like $100. I found that Dealer link here. I remember seeing that somewhere. So I'm in contact with some local people on cheaper shipping. Thx.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the find an FFL under the tools for sellers to find an FFL near you.

http://www.GunBroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Selling hand guns on GB and not being an FFL can be a pain sometimes.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scifi3dzoo
    I thought USPS would not take "hand guns" from anybody... even dealers? That's what it says here in the FAQ. It says I can ship it not being a FFL/Dealer too. But only Over Night which is like $100. I found that Dealer link here. I remember seeing that somewhere. So I'm in contact with some local people on cheaper shipping. Thx.

I read our sites FAQ and this is what it said:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

It does NOT state that handguns are non mailable by "anybody...even dealers"...They are non mailable by non licensees.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shipping a handgun to an FFL, say a gunsmith will cost you $80+, while he can send it back for $12 or so. My ffl charges $20 plus shipping charges, so you can likely use an ffl and ship for less than half what it would cost you alone.
    edited November -1
    Welp... I don't frequent firing ranges so.. anybody know good honest low cost FFL in the ORLANDO area that I can look into?