In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1911 A1

pawulspawuls Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I'm looking into listing the following pistol on the site for sale and would appreciate your good council since I am offering on behalf of my family. We lost my father late last year, none of us are gun collectors but recognize we need to pass this along to a new home, want to realize a fair return for the family, and want to, of course, avoid that it fall into the wrong hands. I am a novice, and intend to do my due diligence on the proper and legal path to do this.

I recognize that I'm not a retail seller and don't expect to realize that value, but would like to list the gun (and accessories) at a price that while pleasing a buyer will also help the family some. My father was in the Air Force, a fine man. I never saw him take the gun out of the closet, and I suspect he only used it while training to serve in the Korean War.

From what I can gather from my limited research, it appears to be made up of both Colt and Remington Rand parts. The slide indicates Colt while the frame and serial number indicate Remington Rand.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Again, my intention is to 1) realize the best price for the family while 2) understanding it must be sold without the expertise of a dealer, and 3) making sure to my best ability that it does not find its way to criminal hands.

Note, I have not done any cleaning to the gun.

1911a_zpskmrl7cce.jpg

1911b_zpsi2ge1pbm.jpg

1911d_zpsmsvelryo.jpg

1911e_zpsxkwpz8th.jpg

1911c_zps0osm0ztl.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice outfit! Go for good money, nowadays. The only negative I see, is the obvious mismatch in finishes. The early manufacture Cold slide, with original blued finish, vis a vis the Pakerized Remington Rand frame.

On the other hand it might be attractive, to a knowledgeable. Dealer or collector, who has a early blue Colt frame. And need a contemporary blued slide, to make it right.

Remove the firing pin retainer, to see if the slide is serial numbered.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The collection of support items will make this an interesting grouping to many collectors of military equipment. When these pistols went to the armorers for maintenance they didn't pay much attention to getting them back to matching, just to functioning. The pistol looks to be is reasonably good condition for a military issue item and the support items look to be in nice shape as well. You will need the services of a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) to transfer and/or ship the item even though you may sell it here on the auction side. The Remington-Rand and Colt versions were the most common during the WW II period and the mixture will detract further from the sale value, but the story and the other items will make up the difference. The additional serial number referenced by Rufe is located by locking the slide to the rear and using a small punch to press the exposed tip of the firing pin inward, at the same time lever it downward and the small plate that hold the firing pin in place will start to move. Back the punch out a little and use it to continue to slide the plate straight down, remember there is a spring on the firing pin so hold your hand in such a way as to block it from popping out. Once the retainer plate is out of its slot there may or may not be a number stamped in the steel around the firing pin hole, this will be the number of the pistol the slide was first installed on. As they say in the NRA dissasembly guide - "re-assemble in reverse order". Others may be able to give you an idea what the supporting items are worth.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job with your photos; that will help you get top dollar for your gun. I would take 15-20 more photos, including photos showing the disassembled parts. But, if you aren't comfortable taking it apart, just take close-ups of every surface. Be sure to describe the condition of the bore. And, the mags probably have letters on the top &/or bottom of the "toe" (front part of the floor plate).

If you start at the GunBroker home page, you will find information for sellers that takes you through all the steps of listing & selling. You don't need to worry about selling it legally, as you will only ship to a Federal Firearms Licensee (dealer or 'collector of curios & relics'). You want the word "1911A1" (no space) in your title. GunBroker is an auction site; you can start your auction at whatever price you want, but all 1911A1's will bring a good price. You probably would be safe starting at $.01, but you may not have the stomach for that. Realistically, mixed parts guns generally selling in the $800-1,000 range, but I think that yours will likely bring around $1,200 with the accessories. (An all original Colt or RR in similar condition would bring $2k -3k.)

Get back to us if you have any questions. Remember, you can only ship a handgun by FedEx or UPS Next Day Air, which will likely cost $80-100. Your listing should state "Be sure that your dealer will accept delivery from a non-licensee."

Neal
  • pawulspawuls Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I will look into taking it apart and snapping more photos-best to know both the good things and the bad, visible or not. Not sure if I'll get to it before the weekend but will post a note when I put it up for auction. I've sold from time to time on eBay so I know the process. The 1 cent start is a good way to get lots of bids over the course of the auction, although many or most of the serious bids end up coming in at the end either way (low or moderate opening bid).

I find several disassembly videos on Youtube. Any have a favorite to follow?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    your pictures have very good detail as focus as to the slide how ever the most important will be the marks that were put on a pistol during rebuild these will be on the left side of the frame near the magazine release on the frame there will also be marks on the barrel that will show Who made the barrel and if it is original or replacement duing a rebuild We also need to dismount the slide from the frame if Possible and look at what letters if any are on the frame as to serial # on the slide not all colts had the serial behind the firing pin retainer . They were put there at times but not at other times most early production had them. the value in your case for the slide would be of more value if they were not there unless some one had a pistol with a frame the same serial number . your best price most likely will come from someone that has lots of mis-matched pistols or parts and need a donor slide and a donor frame I think the $800.00 -$1200,00
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You have very good focus on detail of the finish on the slide as well as frame but all the small markings on frame , slide , barrel,and small parts . we need close up of top of frame with slide dismounted from the frame letters on frame around the disconnector also on left side of frame near the magazine release we also need markings on barrel to see if it is correct for Remington or colt or replacement used at a later date. your top buyer will most likely be someone with bunches of mis matched parts and looking for a Donor slide a donor frame to build what will l;ook Like an all matching pistol It will bring
    more as a slide without a serial behind the firing pin retainer than with one unless some one has that matching frame I think a total of $800.00- $1200,00 is in the ball park
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    You have very good focus on detail of the finish on the slide as well as frame but all the small markings on frame , slide , barrel,and small parts . we need close up of top of frame with slide dismounted from the frame letters on frame around the disconnector also on left side of frame near the magazine release we also need markings on barrel to see if it is correct for Remington or colt or replacement used at a later date. your top buyer will most likely be someone with bunches of mis matched parts and looking for a Donor slide a donor frame to build what will l;ook Like an all matching pistol It will bring
    more as a slide without a serial behind the firing pin retainer than with one unless some one has that matching frame I think a total of $800.00- $1200,00 is in the ball park

Sounds like you're focusing solely on the pistol, the obvious centerpiece. Would it, to those buyers you mention, be better to offer the pistol in one auction and all the accessories in another? I noticed some auctions for holsters that range above $100 anyway.

thanks
  • burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you would get more money if you sold the accessories separately. the gun will be a hard sell for good money because it is so miss-matched. it appears from the pics that other parts look to have been replaced.
    you basically have a parts gun. if it was mine, I would trade the colt slide for a Remington rand slide, and have the gun professionally coated.

there are way nicer military issued1911s on the auction side for 1200.00. here is one of a few I found.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547959958
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pawuls,

Welcome to the forum. You did an excellent job with the pictures.
    I agree with Karl on the pricing. $800.00 sounds steep but you never
    know in an auction setting. Your *accessories*. A dirty clothes bag and a garment bag do not fit in with the pistol. The items you have
    are not a big deal. The magazines are about $25.00 each/lip marked
    or not. The double magazine pouch is $20.00/unissued-WW1 or WW11.
    SARCO. The invasion holster is $5.00. (SARCO) The shoulder holster,
    maybe $75.00, give or take. That 11A1 never saw the inside of that holster.

You are welcome.[:D]

Good luck.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 101AIRBORNE
    pawuls,

Welcome to the forum. You did an excellent job with the pictures.
    I agree with Karl on the pricing. $800.00 sounds steep but you never
    know in an auction setting. Your *accessories*. A dirty clothes bag and a garment bag do not fit in with the pistol. The items you have
    are not a big deal. The magazines are about $25.00 each/lip marked
    or not. The double magazine pouch is $20.00/unissued-WW1 or WW11.
    SARCO. The invasion holster is $5.00. (SARCO) The shoulder holster,
    maybe $75.00, give or take. That 11A1 never saw the inside of that holster.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, that 11A1 hasn't see the outside of that holster since the 1950s (unless my dad removed it now and again out of view). [:D]