In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rossi .22/.410 Combo

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering if 000 buck and slugs can be fired from .410 barrel?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282460033

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It should shoot 000 and slugs.

I had a H&R combo in 22 Hornet and a 20 ga. The 20 was great to carry, the hornet was really bbl heavy.

I spent a lot of time with a Savage 22LR over a 3" 410 with a full choke. My dad had some ex military 3" aluminium empties. I cut card/felt wads to fit and used water glass and thin wad with a slight roll crimp. I think I could load 1 1/8 of shot in them. I also loaded 5 .383 cast round ball (would just fall threw the choke) in those cases. At 40 yards they would cut interlocking holes in a string like the olympic symbol.

Using gas checks you can get 1 and 1/8 oz in a 45-70 but they do not pattern well.

I do load the old 44 TC HotShots bushed out with a plastic 410 wad in my 45-350 mag. These loads pattern very well. 9 grouse with 7 shots. I lined two pair up on the ground and took the rest on the wing.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering if 000 buck and slugs can be fired from .410 barrel?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282460033

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to fire .410 slugs or buckshot. Doesn't mean you'd actually WANT to, though. .410 isn't exactly a "heavy hitter".

Depending on your choke, load, and gun, the buckshot will probably pattern poorly and I wouldn't expect all that much in terms of per-pellet ballistic performance out past 20 yards.

The only real saving grace of the .410 buckshot is that they do a LOT better out of an actual shotgun than those (IMO utterly worthless) Taurus "Judge" revolvers.

I don't think you'd actually want to use these on deer, let alone against human beings if you had a choice of something better.

The slug is a little more interesting ballistically. From your long barrel you'll get something approximating low weight bullet .357 magnum pistol ballistics, though with relatively poor accuracy from the smooth barrel. This could make an OK hunting/defense load up to 50 yards, though again, there are better choices for that.

Bottom line for me is that the .22 is more interesting than the .410, and I consider the whole thing to be basically just a kids gun. For the money, I think you can get something MUCH nicer in .22LR individually.
  • Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a pure joy it is a great combo for the money. The kids like it and as adults it is one of our favorite plinking .22s and the shot gun is enjoyable to shoot small game. Took it to the trap range and could hit targets with it.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    My idea is to use it as a truck gun. Basically for emergency use. And carry a variety of ammo for different applications/situations.
    Do you think I would be better served to abandon the 000 and slugs in favors of game loads? It has modified choke.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    My idea is to use it as a truck gun. Basically for emergency use. And carry a variety of ammo for different applications/situations.
    Do you think I would be better served to abandon the 000 and slugs in favors of game loads? It has modified choke.

Well, I wouldn't "abandon" anything. If you're going to keep this around for emergency/survival use, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to have game loads AND slugs available too to increase your flexibility. The slugs are the most powerful thing this gun can shoot, and for that reason alone they'd be worth having.

I'm not really convinced the buckshot offer anything over the slugs, but they're not too expensive or hard to find, and how hard would it be to throw a few shells in your bag too?

EDIT (Bit about Rossi TRIFECTA and utility of this gun deleted for brevity).

If you already have one of these, then I suggest the main thing you need to do is just test it out thoroughly so that you're comfortable using it and know its limitations, especially the .410 barrel. Try it with buckshot to see how they pattern, slugs, shot, etc.

FWIW, my "truck" gun is a basically stock Yugo SKS with 4-5 stripper clips (and folding bayonet in place!). Sometimes I also have a .22 pistol, and I figure between those two things, I'm covered for just about anything.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I already have one. With the synthetic stocks. Got it real cheap. It's the package (carry case etc) that makes me consider it as a truck gun. Easy and legal (in my state) to conceal. So won't invite theft. Versatility of 2 barrels/rounds.
    Obviously won't be something accessable fast.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with game load 6's. Try the other loads and see how they work. Doesn't Win make a new self defence load for the 410.