In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A ?

49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=486237824
Will someone verify what I see? Upon questioning seller about selector being faux, still claims to be semi-auto. Yet all the machining on right side including middle notch? Am I wrong? I'm very familiar with these, but never personally examined a Class 3?

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    fake for looks , it is an original springfield /devine TX gun that will bring about 5K, the E3 stock about 400.00 mags 35.00 each little over priced
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the seller's description is accurate. The faux selector parts kit is basicly glued to the stock, & is not functional. The op rod lug width, & corresponding receiver track of a full auto M14-type rifle are substantially different from those of the semi auto version.

A small number of Class 3 rifles were made by SA Inc at Geneseo, IL; I am not aware that any were made in Devine, TX, where this rifle's barrel & receiver were made.

Folks selling Devine rifles usually ask a high price based on [img][/img]someone's belief that they should be desirable, but I haven't seen any sales that show that to be true. A genuine USGM14E2 stock will bring a substantial price, but I see no markings to make me believe that the stock on the rifle pictured is not a reproduction. It also seems odd that anyone would put an M1 rifle lockbar rear sight on an M1A.

Neal

EDIT: Mr Harley makes a good point about the notch. This is an early Geneseo receiver, & it doesn't have the notch.
    M1Aserial.jpg
    P1000504_zpsvdxrrkqs.jpg
    EVERY SA Inc M1A receiver was cast; they did not "convert" USGI receivers (which were forged). And, there have been at least a dozen variations, likely because every contractor made their own molds. I would guess that the notch in the middle was eliminated at the request of the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A Neal said, the operating rod track is not the same as found on an actual M14 Rifle (which Neal is very familiar with) and the selector is a fake and used as a space filler for a USGI M14 stock. Notice the dismounting notch directly under the rear sight windage knob? That is a semi auto tell-tale.
  • 49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm blind, but looks to me like rail has been modified, as shown in pic 6 and others. All M1A receivers were cut the same as far as the op rod slot and notch. Full auto modification was done in Illinois, and have no clue as to Texas guns? For comparison...http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=25897&query=retrieval
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Have you contacted the seller and made an inquiry as to the origin of the receiver? Ask him and then let us know what he has to say.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We built a M-14 lookalike a couple years ago. Just cut the stock and put a selector switch there. Didn't go to the expense that guy did with the stock. Just found a H&R receiver for it.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    It also seems odd that anyone would put an M1 rifle lockbar rear sight on an M1A.
    I have a standard grade M1A, purchased new in 2000. It came equipped with a WW II vintage M1 lockbar rear sight.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one on a Springfield M1A I assembled to look like an older GI type.

http://sparrowhawkm14.com/hawks-deluxe-ambi-kit.html

There are a couple different versions. The cold pin hole you see on the rear is for a cold rolled steel pin anchoring the fake device to the stock.