In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

High standard duramatic M-101

MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Recently picked one of these up, however; the safety doesn't fuction.

I pulled it apart and it appears the plunger that holds the shear up when the safety is engaged the trigger has a slight wiggle effect which in turn disengages the sear from the striker.

Do I need a new pluger spring or a new sear?

Looking online at numrich it appeared some of these guns had a double sear and some a single.

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i have had them apart sounds like a new spring or possible old grease/oil dirt mix
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Lots of good H-S folks here that might have some ideas as well.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had worked on one awhile back. Bubba had cut down the sear spring, to lighten trigger pull. This same sear spring also tensions the safety detent. My WAG is if you completely disassemble frame, making sure all internal parts are clean and free of dried grease. Then replace sear spring, it should work OK. Make sure that the safety detent hasn't been removed or been lost.

Be advised there are two versions of the Duramatic. The early one has a plunger that secures the barrel nut. Some of the internal parts aren't interchangeable between models. Although I believe the sear spring and safety detent are.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Also be aware there is a pin you need to drift out if you take the screw loose that holds the firing pin tube to the frame. You really cannot get it apart without driving out that pin first or you will break the screw holding the F/P tube on the frame.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john w
    Also be aware there is a pin you need to drift out if you take the screw loose that holds the firing pin tube to the frame. You really cannot get it apart without driving out that pin first or you will break the screw holding the F/P tube on the frame.

Amen brother! I learned this the hard way first time I took a Duramatic apart. Drilling that broken off screw out of the frame without messing up the internal threads was challenging, to say the least.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by john w

Amen brother! I learned this the hard way first time I took a Duramatic apart. Drilling that broken off screw out of the frame without messing up the internal threads was challenging, to say the least.

Well someone already broke that screw off. so it's only half a screw on further inspection.

The sear spring looks fairly short and shot. I ordered one up see if that helps.
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Well someone already broke that screw off. so it's only half a screw on further inspection.

The sear spring looks fairly short and shot. I ordered one up see if that helps.

The broken off screw is you problem, not the sear spring. It holds the striker retainer in position. Your going to have to do what I did, i.e. carefully drill out the broken off screw, to get the DM back in operable condition.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had some success with backing out broken screws with a hat pin or a small watchmakers screwdriver.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:

The broken off screw is you problem, not the sear spring. It holds the striker retainer in position. Your going to have to do what I did, i.e. carefully drill out the broken off screw, to get the DM back in operable condition.

You mean safe operation It's operable as is. the screw has about half of the thread still in tact and holds the tube down. I'll have to find someone with a drill press I am not using my unsteady hands.