In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RUGER 10/22

Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
On a RUGER 10/22 RECEIVER; The ATF Rule states that when an Receiver is Regeistered as A RIFLE or Pistol,Then it shall remain that way for its Life, and Shall NOT be USED as the other.
MY OUSTION .
M.O.A. of Sundance Wy.is making an STAINLESS STEEL 10/22 Receiver, and Selling it to FFL. holders with-out saying that it is a Rifle or a Pistol .
If the FFL. logs it in as an stripped Receiver, with-out saying, that it is for a Rifle or Pistol,
THEN CAN IT BE USED AS EITHER A RIFLE OR pistol or BOTH.

Please give Me ATF RULE, (page & NUMBER)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Looking for a list of ruger 10/22 serial no.s? DOM desired. Thanks
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is kind of some tricky ground here. There are some similar threads that pertain to the Thompson Center Contender, and Encore firearms. If it is a pistol, it can be built into a rifle, but legally, it can't be switched back again. If it is a rifle, it cannot have a barrel less than 16 inches, without the BATFE approval, and the $200.00 fee for the SBR(short barreled rifle).

The TC's are not the only weapon that fall into this scrutiny, as you have found, so do the 10-22's, and the AR-15's.

So, if it is registered as a handgun, then you can build it into a handgun, or a rifle. Once it is in rifle form, you cannot switch it back, legally, except for some circumstances, which relate to the TC Contender Carbine kits.

It can be extremely difficult, if you live in a firearms unfriendly state like I do n NY. They require a handgun permit for every handgun you posses, that can fire a projectile, other than an air gun. If you take that handgun off your permit, by switching it to a rifle, then they want to know where it went to.

Many of us have at least two frames, one for handgun use, and one for rifle use.

Best
  • Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am Glade that I live in a GUN FRENDY STATE of West Virginia, I have six CUSTOM RUGER 10/22's 4 Rifles and 2 Charger Pistols, They ALL have All the Bells and Whitles,s.
    I also have 14 T/C ENCORE PRO-HUNTERS. CUSTOMS
    So you can see why that I NEED TO KNOW THE LAW.

Thans for your Reply
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a Ruger 10/22 receiver, it is always a rifle. The "just a receiver" from MOA, etc. can be built as either... but if you want to switch between pistol adn rifle configuration it must be transferred either as a pistol or bare receiver, adn if the bare receiver, then it must be built into pistol config first.

There is a new-ish ATF letter that addresses this - used to be pistol -> rifle and it had to stay rifle (except the TC Contenders in the court ruling) but the new letter clarifies things.

See http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf for the actual letter/ruling