In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope Mounts- something a little different

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
There are occasions when a new something or other crosses my bench and I think it's worth mentioning here.

This is the case with these scope mounts. Right off the top, these are not for everyone or even the majority of folks who shoot for fun and recreation. These rings and mounts are for the hardcore tactical shooters including the military, or those who choose to afford them. But they have some interesting features which I think are worth seeing. Besides, it never hurts to see what all is out there beyond our normal view.

scopemountsspuhr4602.jpg

Opening page of the general website for Spuhr AB:

http://spuhr.com/ISMS.html

This is the Descriptive .pdf with high quality B/W photographs:

http://spuhr.com/scopemount%20features.pdf

Best.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    2,750 Swedish Krona is around $410 USD so they are pricey, but not as high as I would have expected.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! You talk about innovative, functional, and SWEET. That has it all, including the price tag. however, you do get what you are willing to pay for.

Best

EDIT 1

Joe(givette),

Rings of this quality do NOT need to be lapped and aligned. They are way more true than any of the common stuff most shooter's are used to. The same goes for the Badger Ord. rings, and the NightForce rings, when used in conjunction with their respective bases. If you lap them, you most likely will ruin them.

As for the groove's inside these rings...click on the links, and read all about it. They are to subdue scope movement from the recoil of heavy chamberings, such as 50 BMG, 416 Barret, 338 Lapua, and some other hard kicker's.

Best

EDIT 2

quote:And that the SCOPE is also perfectly straight!

and
    quote:That assumes that the rifle you put them on is equally straight and square. Not all are.

I think it would be safe to assume, that someone is not going to put a $39.99 Tasco, Simmons, Swift, or any other type of less than appropriate optic in a $400.00+ mount.

The same goes for the rifle...no one most likely will mount this up to a Remington 740,742,7400, or 750. What is more, is that the persons using this kind of mount/ring combination, would certainly know how to bed the base to the rifle, stress free.

Best
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the built in level!
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I like to fine-hone (true) my rings, using the alignment indeces and arbor.

What's up with the knurling? (I imagine most of the cost of the product is in it's being 'true' right out of the box).

Joe
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Rings of this quality do NOT need to be lapped and aligned.

That assumes that the rifle you put them on is equally straight and square. Not all are.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    quote:Rings of this quality do NOT need to be lapped and aligned.

That assumes that the rifle you put them on is equally straight and square. Not all are.

And that the SCOPE is also perfectly straight!

Anyway, I think the mount is pretty cool. Built in level seems like a pretty useful feature to me especially if you're shooting for distance on uneven ground.

If you assume this is basically as good as it gets in terms of mounts, I also don't think $400 is out of line for it, especially if you also factor in the likely costs of the scope you'd be sticking in there and the gun you'd be putting it on.

I mean if you're putting a $1500(+) scope on top of a $1500(+) gun, housing the thing in a $300 case, and firing match grade ammo at $1.50/rd, then what's $400 for the best possible mount? Incremental cost here for the rings is pretty small, and if I were putting together one of these super-long range setups, I'd drop that without thinking twice about it.

"If" [;)][:p]

Maybe if the dollar strengthens up again, the price on this will go down a little (yeah. . .I'm not holding my breath for that either!).
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much different from existing AR designs.
    Probably best on heavy recoiling rifles.
    Level is nice if you can see around the scope bell. With some you can't and have to shift your head.
    Also, on an AR you need the rings inclined forward of the receiver as much as practical.
    Lots of Allen screws assure tight lockup.
    Even an aluminum mount as this adds noticeable weight over plain rings.
    Those internal machined rings should make for good grip with an adhesive.
    It looks like a quick release on the far side.
    I question the wisdom of four Allen screws in the front ring digging into and distorting the scope.