In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 1895g GOV'T Ported Barrel

jamesmccrayjamesmccray Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I want to sell my Marlin just not sure what to ask, i see plenty of 1895's just not with ported barrel, guns in good shape has a couple very small storage marks and has less than 100 rounds threw it.[DSCN1273.jpgimg] [DSCN1271.jpgimg]

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the porting was a Marlin factory option, don't see it increasing value of rifle.

Porting does help considerable when shooting hot loads. Lots of folks don't care for it though, because the gas vented back from the muzzle increases the blast effect substantially. With hot 45-70 loads the blast would guarantee to make your eyes water, if your not wearing hearing protection.
  • jamesmccrayjamesmccray Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is factory porting, i would post an image just not sure how.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate ported guns, it would be worth more to me without them. I think the overall condition will determine the value porting aside.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    those where called Guide Guns , should be about a 18 1/2" barrel that was factory ported , they where chamber in the 45-70 , 444 and 35 rem , and then the 1894 in 44mag with a 16 1/2" ported barrel
    edited November -1
    So what is a good price for it
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New in box, doesn't appear ported, nice looking wood $579 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284097924
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guide guns were also available i the 1895 version, in the 450 Marlin.

That said, it is a buyer's market right now, even though the second round of Obama sales is in effect. The economy is down, and folks(most folks), just are not spending, unless they are highly collectable.

For the best results, i would list it on the auction side, and start it at $350.00-400.00, and let the market decide. You will have a NATIONAL audience. However, be prepared, as the guide guns didn't take off like Marlin expected. Lots of folks out there didn't, and still don't like obnoxiously loud, hard kicking rifles.

Best
    edited November -1
    When your hunting you don't even notice the noise so it doesn't matter to me but the recoil reduction is a nice thing to have. It made a good hog gun the couple times i took it out, one shot and the hogs were down. Thanks for the reply's.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for 4 months. I shot at 2 hogs and nearly blew my ears out.

In the woods, it was still excessively loud.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When your hunting you don't even notice the noise

that may be true that YOU did not notice it but you can bet your ear drums sure did