In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun sight or optic

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys!

What sight or optic would you put on something like this?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485905258

P.S.
Cheap and can take the beating.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a tritium dot, no or low magnification.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Presumably this is for defensive use.

How about a fiber optic front sight and a ghost/peep rear?

I don't think it gets any more durable than that, and it should be pretty cheap. There are also no batteries to run out, forget to turn on (or off), no adjustment knobs to fiddle with, etc.

Ghost ring/tritium is another viable option, though it will cost a little more and the tritium has to be replaced every so many years. You can even do combo tritium/fiber optic, and that's probably the best of both worlds (again, more cost).

Since I doubt you're going to take a shot past 30 yards, I see no reason for magnification on something like this. IMO magnification is more of a disadvantage, since it adds cost, complexity, and will slow you down.

quote:With the rail on the back of the barrel it seems impossible to me to see a front sight of any kind.

Are you guys saying that I should mount a front and rear sight on the rail behind the barrel?
    Good point. Didn't consider height of rail here.

Pretty much the whole point of a cantilevered rear sight rail like that is to put on a conventional telescopic sight. IE, the barrel is basically designed specifically for hunting. For a no-magnfication red dot, eye-relief isn't really important.

Anyway to answer your question, no I wouldn't put a front and rear sight on the rail. While you could probably get away with it (remember, people do just fine with shotguns with NO sights on them!), I think short sight radius would defeat most of the purpose of having front and rear sights, and it wouldn't be optimal.

I agree with below, a tube or reflex red dot would be the simplest way to go, and certainly a good option on a defensive gun. Screw it on, you're done.

I think you can still probably get away with a conventional iron sight setup if you wanted to, you'd just need to keep the rear peep/ghost low and use some sort of tall AR-15 like ramp front sight.

EG, don't know what your budget is here (presumably the whole point of this exercise is to take advantage of the cheap clearance shotgun barrel), but the Vang-Comp front sight is pretty tall, and with a low rear ghost might work here. XS also has a pretty tall "tactical" front shotgun sight that might work. There may be others.

Obviously, you have to check the numbers to make sure these things fit and that the rear peep/front sight heights are compatible.

http://www.vangcomp.com/shop/vang-comp-ghost-ring-sight-set

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/banded-front-sight-only-sku006000118-19505-44572.aspx

Another way to do this is to stick a short picatinny rail on the front of your barrel that you put your front sight on. At that point pretty much the sky is the limit in terms of what you could put on there, including AR sights, etc.

If necessary you could use a cheap small riser block to raise up the front sight to match the height of the rear rail.

Again, there is probably more than one way to skin this particular cat, though I'd say a hard mount with either drill and tap of the rail or silver-soldered on is probably the "best". (IE, personally, I wouldn't trust a cheapie clamp-on front Picatinny to stay put under recoil).

Custom front sight is another option, but you're probably getting into cost-prohibitive here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With the rail on the back of the barrel it seems impossible to me to see a front sight of any kind.

Are you guys saying that I should mount a front and rear sight on the rail behind the barrel?
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mk19 has it right
    Those mini bushnells are good and work well
    I bought 2 cause I can't afford aimpoints for everything
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found an old Hi Standard pump 12ga, 18" barrel with an old Weaver 1 1/2x scope mounted. I remember saying who the hell would stick a scope on a pump shotgun(we don't use slug guns to hunt where I live)but when I put it to my shoulder and saw how well it worked I immediately understood. The human eye is drawn to a circle and this combo was fast. Turns out it had belonged to Rex Applegate. Guess the old boy understood a thing or two about winning a gunfight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot for the input guys. You guys always come through with great ideas. I will try the bushnell. If it can't take the beating, I will try a fixed magnification scope.