In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25-20

smokeymt46smokeymt46 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was reading an article in my gun magazine about the 25-20 by Remington and was wondering if they are available now or are they just collector items? If they are how available are the cases and bullets for reloading? THANKS

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 25-20 has been obsolete for years. The last new ones made, as far as I know? When Marlin made a short production run, back in the early 90's.

Ammo, brass and bullets aren't easy to come by. Even reloading for it, would be likely pricy.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about the 25-20 Win? Not very common but it can be found. Cast bullets work if you are into reloading.

There was a 25 Rem, same family case as the 30 and 32. Brass and ammo are harder to find.

Not the same as the 25-20 Single Shot.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Ammunition/BI.aspx?Keywords=and+(-+or+.25-20+)

added Midway has new 32-20 brass for about a quarter a pop - they would size down, might need reamed.
  • Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know what others have experienced but I reload for the .25-20 Winchester. Now, if you are talking about the Remington Model 25 in .25-20, yes they are rather hard to find and can be pricey. However, the Marlin lever actions in .25-20 do show up now and then. . I believe there is currently one listed on the auction side. They are a lot of fun to shoot and can be much more useful than many folks suppose.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Marlin 1894 in 25-20 Winchester and it's a fun little cartridge. I reload for it using the Hornady 60 grain jacketed flat point. Brass and the little 60 grainer are a bit difficult to find but not overly so. My Marlin carries a Williams rear peep with a Lyman 17 globe front sight and an older Weaver 1.5 to 5X scope with the "swing mount" style base.

If you do a look up on the auction side you'll see a few rifles. Mostly older stuff. If you'd like something new I'm sure you could get a barrel made for a T/C Encore or Contender single shot.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Lead bullets for the 25-20 are readily available on the auction side from Dan The Bullet Man. I just bought some for a Remington #2 I'm working on, he sells a quality product at a reasonable price.
    W.D.