In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sobering Thought

bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Last night, I heard the proverbial bump in the night. It startled my wife and I from a dead sleep. My 19 and I decided that it would be a good idea to watch the doorway and keep an eye on the hallway very quietly to spy any movement or hear further bumps. After no further developments, I heard the neighbors doing God-knows-what on their carport. Though the sound seemed to be inside, sound and sleep can conspire to fool the senses. I went ahead and carefully secured the house, returned 19 to its night-time position, and went back to sleep.

My point is this: when sitting in the dark thinking about what may or may not be lurking in the darkness down the hallway, I don't care if it's blue or stainless, revolver or semi-auto, 2 inch, 4 inch, or six inch, I just want it to do its job if needed. We argue a lot about which gun is best, what finish is best, what length is best. I can honestly say that none of those things crossed my mind last night. When it comes right down to it, remember why that gun is there. It's not romance. Ultimately, it's all about what keeps you alive when things go bad.

Comments

• brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    i hate when the proverbial "bump" happens in the night. I was told by my dad that if you are awaken in the night from a noise never never never go back to sleep until an investigation has occured because it will probably be the only noise you here if it indeed is a intruder.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Had something like that last night myself. Something woke me up. Noticed that I had light coming in thru the window Like Car lights. Could not come from the road they have to be in my drive to hit that window.

By the time I got moving and Had Pants on what ever it was was gone. But My Ultra Covert(Kimber) was with me. Has really good night sights + Lazer.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I rest a bit easier with a couple little alarm dogs...and a larger
    one to do the work.[:)]
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    quote:i hate when the proverbial "bump" happens in the night. I was told by my dad that if you are awaken in the night from a noise never never never go back to sleep until an investigation has occured because it will probably be the only noise you here if it indeed is a intruder.

Wow!...what great advise your father gave you. The best thing is that you remembered it and use it to this very day.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the dog goes crazy, then I know it is time to go take a look.
  • oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    Isn't it funny how silly you feel some times after and incident like that. Several years ago, when I was still traveling in my job, I spent the night in a real rat trap of a motel. The room was VERY dark as the window had blinds AND heavy curtains. At the time, my only firearm was a Dan Wesson .357, and I had it on the night stand. All of a sudden, I was WIDE AWAKE, and I never do that. I thought for a while and realized that what had waked me was the sound of the metal door on the motel room slamming shut. I carefully got up and looked all around the room and the bathroom, and found no one. I finally decided that the door slamming was next door. I returned to bed, feeling like a fool, wandering around my room with a loaded gun. After my heartbeat slowed down, I managed to get back to sleep.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though it was a false alarm, one good thing came out of it, you found out that you were indeed prepared! That can be of some comfort for the future!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, that's why I got the gun I did. 110% reliability was at the top of my list.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    i fortunately have never been awoken to strange noises. however have heard one that alerted the dog and out we went to investigate. turns out some dude was taken a leek on the side of the road. that is one thing about my hound, she aint worth spit when it comes to hunting but she could hear an ant fart a mile away.
    lets me know in the morning the neighbor is going back the lane to feed the cattle, one woof! any other sound she goes berzerk. cant figure it out. she has been inside with doors shut, airconditioners going and tv blairing when all of a sudden she opens up. let her out and i follow pistol in hand to find a couple of dear in the field across the road. that had to be what she was barking at that time because she went to the edge of the yard barking the whole way, and stared right at them. its uncanny i tell ya.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    Last month while the fiance and i were asleep the dog and I woke up to the sound of a bump and a shattering glass. Mia (the dog) looked at me as if she knew something was there but didnt want to go so I grabbed the P220 cleared the whole house and when it came time to go to the back door i turned on the tac light and went it. It was a picture frame that fell, that was the first time i really thought Shhit is this really happening. crime is on the rise in my area and I think we need to get out of here.
  • thebigsdthebigsd Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you. A Springfield XD .45 sleeps next to me on the night stand. Better safe than sorry.