In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Canine Question

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
The misses and I are considering getting a dog. I grew up with German Sheppards and Labs, so I do know a bit about the species(?). However, the dogs I had growing up needed a good-sized yard to run in, and we don't really have a large yard, and DO NOT have a fence.
What, in your opinion, would be the best mostly indoor dog for us to consider. I won't go the Chihuahua or Dacshund route. Anthing I can put in a mixing bowl when full grown is out also. After that, I'm all ears.....

I'm looking forward to reading your opinions.

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Several breed would adapt fine, but don't shy away from a mutt. Dachshunds have great qualities, unobtrusive and loving being foremost. A Pug is a good house dog and they're quiet most of the time. I would go by the pound and see if you click with any of those guys. Knowing that you saved a loving creature from certain death is way morally superior than just handing some bucks to a puppy mill.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    yeah...i thought of a pug as well. the lack of a fence limits your choice badly.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Poodles are the best.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you have no fence and get a smaller inside dog you can crate train them-just walk them before you leave and then when you get home and they will be fine--of course that leaves out you going away unless you take the dog or kennel it. if you have a back yard at least you can always build your own kennel-some dogs, like my boxer are just fine for up to 3 days alone as she is a self feeder and wont gobble up all her food in one sitting(i use those feeders that look like a water cooler and hold 7 days worth of food)--some dogs like beagles will eat till their tummys are scraping the ground. italian greyhounds are good little inside dogs. pound pups are good too as long as they get full shots before they go home.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    Miniature Schnauzer, or a mini yokie (Yorkshire Terrier)

had both growing up
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    basset or beagle
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Jack Russells are high energy dogs.....Beagles need the room "work"....

Mini yorkies?...yappy things and yes they are energetic...

In all honesty I would go to the pound and get one from there, and get a mutt...they are a much better dog than purebreds....besides no one is really impressed with "papers" anymore....
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, my best dogs have always been mutts and free. Ruger, (dogs name), was a cross between a german shepherd and border collie. He was the smartest and best dog I ever had. A german shepherd I paid big money for had to be put down. He got just plain mean, and when he tried to take me twice one afternoon, that was enough. I was scared he'd turn on my grandkids.
  • skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree with ruger and blackroses! before you make any decision, check out your local pound. they will have most shots, get their tags, and you will be saving one more canine from the dreaded needle. my last two were from local humane society, and were a great addition to our family
  • gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you are up for a great house dog, try a Chinese sharpei or a Chow Chow..My wife breeds both and I am telling you they are the easiest dogs to house train...
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    We have a Lab, a Basset hound, a rat terrier and a small mixed-breed dog, in the house. Why would they be anywhere else? We have a fenced yard, but all that means is we don't have to closely supervise potty trips.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    One of the best dogs I ever owned was a Cairn Terrier. They're quickly housebroken, very smart and loving, great with kids, and extremely loyal.

Cairn-Terrier.jpg
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Brittany
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Miniture Yoki, full grown and 4 lbs

media1f.jpg
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Had the same experience and problem because I grew up with hunting dogs like labs, bassetts and beagles that needed a lot of outdoor space. Moved into town and couldn't have a big dog. Gave up the macho thing and got a minature poodle. Had her for 17 years yntil she deceased. Wife saw how much I missed her and bought me a new toy poodle to replace her. We have since bought 3 more for the kids and grandkids. Good guard dogs always letting us know when someone approaches the house. I have lousy hearing from weapons fire and the dogs alert me to anything unusual. One sleeps under the covers with us and snuggles up against our legs. They travel great in a car or small enough to go on the plane under the seat in a carrier. They can be a bit touchy and have to be watched around small children that might unintentially abuse them. Their bite is small enough that they can't do serious damage but it can hurt a child. Otherwise good companions and usually have lots of energy and fun to be with. Good inside dogs only needing small outside space.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote: Yep, my best dogs have always been mutts and free.

x25, go to the local shelter and find one.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for a shelter dog here. Our neighbor got what looks like a sheltie and we ended up with a Aussie Shepherd.
    You can save a life and get a good dog.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Pound pup/dog.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once a beagle (or bassett) learns to guard the couch/bed, and how lonely the pillows get without them, they don't tend to run much (but the still tend to wander off while following their noses.

Blue Heeler/German Shedder, Basset, Miniture Austrailian
    Picture199.jpg

The healer/shep cross is one of the smartest dogs I've ever known.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danes rule!! (If you got a big enough house)
    [^]barto[^]
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always found the best dog in the world, is the one the guy is telling you about owns or has owned. My two cents worth, as you are going to keep it in the house, advoid those that shed a lot, and those that don't take to regular baths. Some dogs stink more than others. I love dogs but keep mine outside.
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spryor
    Pound pup/dog.
    I agree, again look for a non-sheding, eaily cleaned dog, you don't want your house smelling like a barn!
  • EZRyderEZRyder Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother lives in a downtown rowhouse with almost no yard. He did a fair amount of research on what kind of dog to get (he had always had St Bernards before but realized that was just not going to work there). He ended up getting a french bulldog. Apparently, they are good apartment/city dogs.
  • AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midnight and Sparky say, pound pups rule!!![8D]
    http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/azhunter_album/DSC00211.jpg
    At least they rule our house....[;)]
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    +1 on the "pound puppy".

Just go to the pound without anything in particular in mind.
    When you see them, one will grab your heart and not let go.
    You will not be able to leave without it.
    It may take a couple of trips so don't be in a hurry.
    When you see 'the one', you will know it.

Thanks---Peabo
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a Welsh Pembroke Corgi. Great dog, very good with children and has the bark of a dog 10x their size.
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You already know about GSDs, just get a small female. You can never go wrong with a German Shep. Dog. If they live in the house like they are suppose to, you can walk them and train them to stay in the yard. I have had GSDs since the late 60's and never had a fenced yard and never had my dogs leave that yard after they were trained as puppys. A little training goes a long way and you can have the best family dog around. Like I said a small female GSD will work out fine.[:)]
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really appreciate all the input and suggestions in regards to my dilemma. My family and I wen to the Belleville Humane Society today and spent a lot of tim interacting with the dogs they have there. However, we didn't find a specific pup that we had to take home. We will continue our quest to find the right pup to bring into our family.

I really do appreciate all the suggestions you all have given. Will keep you posted on the results.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    I really appreciate all the input and suggestions in regards to my dilemma. My family and I wen to the Belleville Humane Society today and spent a lot of tim interacting with the dogs they have there. However, we didn't find a specific pup that we had to take home. We will continue our quest to find the right pup to bring into our family.

I really do appreciate all the suggestions you all have given. Will keep you posted on the results.

you'll find the right one that will make you family complete
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have to agree, search out the pound pups and no-kill shelters first. Great Danes are actually decent apartment dogs despite their size. They have short lives though. Avoid high energy dogs and herding dogs -- like border collies and PWD's -- because they will herd your kids.
  • Christine GibsonChristine Gibson Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our family always had pets, quite a few purebreds. The dogs that
    were the most loving and loyal either came from the pound, or was
    a stray that one of us rescued.
    Just follow your heart.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I can only tell you what not to get.

Any Husky.

They're wandering dogs.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear English Bulldogs does well in apartment type of dwelling. Personally I'd like to go with Olde English Bulldogg (has better genes) but they're more active than their inbred cousins.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    may sound stupid because they are large dogs, but a grey hound makes a great indoor pet. get a retired racer they are compltely house broke. big couch potatoes and loves attention don't need a lot of room to run just a fenced yard. also great watch dogs
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hotshoot
    Miniature Schnauzer, or a mini yokie (Yorkshire Terrier)

had both growing up

Agree, Miniature Schnauzer. Very smart, easy to train, NO SHEDDING, great watchdog, loves to play and go for walks.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local shelters and find a pet that needs a home. There are probably plenty of them, and you might end up saving a dogs life. The shelters usually have a much harder time finding homes for dogs then the breeders. Plus you will end up spending less money.
  • RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    I hear English Bulldogs does well in apartment type of dwelling. Personally I'd like to go with Olde English Bulldogg (has better genes) but they're more active than their inbred cousins.

Be ready to spend a lot of money on medications, awesome dogs but not very healthy.
    edited November -1
    Well, we went over to Florissant, MO and found our new family member at a Pet Smart Adoption Day. He's a 5 year-old Beagle/Bassett hound mix and came home with us 24 hours ago. We are still getting used to each other but I think we made the right choice, He's 42 pounds and has a charming disposition.

Heeeeeeree's ROSCOE!!!!

2008223174512.jpg

2008223174534.jpg
    edited November -1