In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Surprised at Ethics...........

625625 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
I'm a bit surprised at the response I got from GunBroker when I attempted to make them aware of a "bogus" rifle listed for auction.

The item offered was a .22 "Military training rifle" . Tube fed, no serial number, not US Property marked. I could be mistaken, but I don't know of any military rifles, trainers or otherwise, that have any of these characteristics. If there was such a rifle, please make me aware of it, as several known collectors I asked said "no way".

In any case, GB's response was.......

3/31/2003 9:59:14 AM
GB Support
If you have a question about the item, please feel free to contact the seller via Ask Seller a Question to resolve the question.

Am I out of line to try to prevent someone being had without starting a war of words?

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Some of my pics

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    It is likely you were misunderstood. What is the auction #, is the auction still running?
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Mark Christian or one of the "serious" collectors may have a better opinion. But, I do collect 22's, not military, rifles and handguns.

I have two Mossbergs, both "supposably" are trainers or were used as such. One is a 44(US)A, bolt/mag fed, with S100 Microclick sights with a military sling. This one is identical to the 44US, which was used as such and IS marked (US PROPERTY), but I believe a civilian model.
    The other is a 51M (A), tubular fed through the Mannlicher stock.

Both were made beginning in 1939 through 1949 or 1946. Oldtimer, told me he saw them both used on base. ??? It has been a few years since he was in camp (and I liked the old bugger) so I never questioned him on it.

Guess this doesn't help, but thought I'd throw it in the fire.[;)]
  • 625625 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the auction number... it's still open

I'm not trying to stir the pot, and I'm not any kind of authority, but I got burned once on a mis-represented rifle, and I'd feel funny about ignoring the possibility of it happening to someone else when it could be avoided.

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Some of my pics
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Don't sweat it 625, nobody here likes being burned.

*edit*

Ok, after looking at this auction I had one of these rifles, I don't know if these were ever used as a military trainer or not, however, did the seller specifically tell you there was no serial #? I didn't see anything in the auction indicating that this gun didn't have any. Although, I do believe that this gun *SHOULD* probably have a serial # stamped somewhere on it.
  • 625625 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not communicated with the seller. I have two of these rifles, and neither have serial numbers. I haven't ever seen (not that I've seen them all) a 151M with a serial number. Both my M44US rifles have serial numbers, and both are martially marked, barrel and receiver.

Some of my pics