In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First Real Gun

rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
What was your first real gun and how did you get it?

Mine was a 20 gauge Mossberg shotgun that I received as a Christmas present in 1955. My neighbor Joe Stanton took me and my dad out on Chriswtmas day to shoot it. This is something I will never forget.

Thanks

Rockton

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    First real gun? Hrmmm.....A .22lr/.410 o/u rifle, considerably older than myself, it was my old mans first rifle and so it was my first rifle as well and it'll be my kids first rifle if I ever choose to have any.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    First gun I got was a Mossberg 500A which my folks got for me for Christmas years ago. The first one I purchased was a Russian Makarov. Still have both of them, but they've received some improvements over the years.[;)]

fc7245e9.jpg

fc7245fa.jpg

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a ruger 10/22 beautiful walnut stock blued finish. i loved that gun. still do. got it for christmas when i was 13. just like my dad, just like his, just like his. not all 10/22, but all .22 caliber still have it, shoot it at least every week.

SGT USMC

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a J.C. Higgins .22 back about 1960. First I bought was a Rem. 700 BDL, in 7mm Rem mag.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    First real gun was a Marlin 39A as a XMas present. It now resides in my brother-in-law's house.

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The first real gun that I ever got was an old Marlin Model 81DL .22 which belonged to my father. I still have it, still shoot it now and then and it still works fine. The first gun I bought for myself was an Armalite AR-7 survival rifle and I still have that rifle as well. Over the years I have owned maybe 1,000 firearms, most bought and later sold for something new, but I'll always keep those first two.

Mark T. Christian
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Well, according to me, it was a Stevens Springfield model 15 single shot 22 that I worked all summer to get the money for. But, according to my father, it was the Daisy Red Rider BB gun that he gave me and taught me gun safety with. He said, "If it fires a projectile, it's a gun!"

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first one was a marlin model 60. gave about 25 bucks for it from a pawn shop.had some fun with it refinished it and traded it in for a crapy looking shot gun. had some fun with it refinished it and traded
    for something better. done this for about 2 years.now i'm hooked for life.

chris
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    My first gun was and is a Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk Brown .22 Semi-automatic. My Dad had/has one, so it was the first gun I shot and the first gun I wanted for myself. Bought it around 1980-81, when I was 10-11 yrs. old. I now have 5 of these fine rifles. (not to mention the others)[;)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My first real gun was the Ruger .44 mag carbine that aglore and the rest of the forum gave me....till then I had used my fathers and Classics....
    That Ruger was my first...but it sure isnt my last....*LOL...Thanks again guys...

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Marlin Model 81 .22 bolt

Thought that was the best Gift ever.

A Christmas Gift (used) but my Dad could never have done better than to give me that .22.

I then felt all grown up.[:D]

I am confused at times.<BR>We park on driveways<BR> and<BR>drive on parkways.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    A friend of my Dad's gave him a Stevens? single shot .22 for my brother and me to share.

The first gun I bought was a 1917 Eddystone. It was original military except for a sporter stock. I was 13 or 14. It was 1974 or '75. It cost me $40.00. Years later, after I aquired more iron I bought a military stock and returned it to it's original glory.

I still have both

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 gauge remington wingmaster.

"If it's brown, it's down" crosshair.gif
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first real gun was a winchester 22 autoloader. Don't remember the model number, but it was probably 25 years old when I got it. I was 13 so it was the most beautiful gun in the world to me. Wish I didn't trade it for a guitar. [V]

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a old springfield semi auto 22 that has been around my house since I was 5 still got it. My dad taught me how to shoot with it.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A SEARS{?} single shot 20 ga , traded it for a H&R single 12 ga a few years later.

member; DUCKS UNLIMITED,AGA, ............R.S.A. KULP..................OHIO
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Win 67 with finger groove forearm $7 (used) of my hard earned money
    Bought 1952 Still in the safe today.

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad gave me his 20 Ga. single shot Sears Shotgun that he purchased when he was a kid in the late 40's. I received a Winchester Model 190 for 8th grade graduation. The first gun I purchased with my own money was in 1973, a brand new Ithaca Model 37 12 ga. I still have all three.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Harrington & Richardson 20 ga. Topper jr. when I was 8 years old. I cleaned and oiled that gun almost every day when I was young, and 27 years later it still looks and works great.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    In my family you got a 20gauge single on your twelth birthday and could go hunting with the boys on Saturdays.Mine was a Stevens. Big Daddy

my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Christmas, 1956 my Dad, aka Santa, gave me a Grade 1 Browning .22 semi-auto. Cost him 3 weeks salary. It still shoots like a champ and is in great shape.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I looked through all the post's and nobody listed mine. It was my dads and I used it for years. a model 74 winchester auto held 15 rounds of long rifle, Dad is gone and I still have the rifle and shoot it at least once a year, and it's still great. the first one I bought was a 30-06 huskie back in 1961. still have it and it still shoots great.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    First gun I ever had was a Sears & Roebuck .22 single shot rifle in 1963. I was 5 years old. It put many a squirrel int the pot for supper in those lean years. The first gun that I bought for myself was a Zephyr Woodlander 12ga., double bbl. Still have them both.

Proud member of the NRA

If it ain't broke-it ain't ours!!!
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glenfield/Marlin Model 60 followed by a Llama 45 a few weeks later.Still got them both.CW

1.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!

2.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!
  • ChadyckChadyck Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first Long gun was a 10/22 at 14, my dad helped me purchase it. When I turned 18, I got my first shotgun, A New England Firearms 12ga that the guy at walmart gave me for $40 since it was the last one in stock. Just turned 21 last week and bought my first handgun today, Browning Buckmark. Next month I'm hoping to put enough aside for either a Ruger GP100 .357 or a Winchester 94 30-30.

Chadick
  • magnumjimmagnumjim Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An old nondiscript single barrel 12 guage shotgun with a shortened
    stock that one of my fathers buddies gave me. It had a very sharp
    comb and kicked like a mule. That sharp comb would hit me under the
    eye and make my eyes water. It would spin me half way around each time I fired it but it was mine. Shot my first duck with it. Man
    that was a beautiful gun.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first was a Stevens .410 single shot. My dad walked into town and bought it, then rode the city bus home. He bought it for $7.50 for my mom in 1938 when she was pregnant with me. My daughter still has it.
    * hunting story: my dad's dogs got into a skunk and mom rode home on the running board, she was about 7 months along. My dad and the dogs rode inside.[:0]

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wundudnee, good story about the skunk, sounds like something I would do[:D]

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • GotdeereGotdeere Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    North American Firearms breech barrel 20 ga. $75 from Wal-mart give to me by my dad from my 12th B-day.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    First gun I owned a Mossberg pump given to me by my father on my 11th birthday. Still own it. First gun I ever bought was a single shot 22 Lr at a yard sale for 5.00 that didn't work. Someone had dry fired it until the chamber rim was pitted were the firing pin struck and the metal was sticking down into the chamer so a shell wouldn't fit in it. I swaged the metal back up into the gap and polished it smooth with a split rod and sand paper . Shot it all summerat Bullfrogs and sold the legs to my neighbors for money to buy another gun. I was still 11 at the time. Yes my parents gave me permission and my dad had shown me how to do it on another gun.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was a Sears J.C. Higgins 16 GA bolt action, I still have it today and just got it back from my parents house. Living in the Communist republic of MA I was talking to my dad, now 80 years old about the new "laws" we have here about keeping a gun locked and offered to give him a trigger lock for the gun but he said you take it it's yours anyway! Ever notice there are an awful lot of guns that came from Sears? I would have loved to be a consumer in the old days where you could buy almost anything from there.
  • VonflakVonflak Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad bought me a H&R 20 gauge at K-Mart when I was 14.

A few weeks later we went to an auction and a SKS dropped down to $20.
    No one there knew what it was (except me, the young milsurper) they hadn't started importing them yet. Dad Looked at me and said, "How low are you gonna let that go before you ask me to bid on it?" I didn't even think he'd let me have it. I ended up getting it for $35....

It has a dark dark birch (I think) stock, about 45% blue left and was made at factory 26. It has "NGYEN CHAN UL" carved into the butt. I've always had that "Vietnam Trophy" kinda feeling about it. It took years to find ammo for it though...

at that same auction I bought an all for one money box of "stuff" inside was,among some crap, a box of 1943 carbine ammo, and a mint 1917 bayonet with a OD fiberglass scabbard....$15 (had to owe dad for that, the SKS cleaned me out)

He bought a "OSS" comemorative series 80 COLT .45 with I think ebony wood grips for $390.....

well, I seem to have wandered a bit...one of my favorite days.

Cpl RRG, Oxidation NCO
    byf
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my first own personal pistol from a pawn shop in SanDiego for $29.00 a H&R 22 with a drop out cyl. I would probably by it again if it was that price. be for that we had to use family firearms.

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remington 1100 12ga.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre-64 Model 12, 16 gauge Winchester pump.

Still got it.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    S&W Combat Masterpiece in .38. Bought it from an LEO when they changed over to autos.
  • CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Lawman MkIII .357 when I was 16. Wanted a Python, but a minimum wage after school job wouldn't allow it (new ones were a whopping $350 at the time!) Still have it, but for sentimental reasons only.

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    A old Monkey Wards .22 single shot bolt action, that would fire sometimes while closing the bolt, Dad bought it from a pawn shop in 1956 for $5.00, when I was 5yrs old.

What a piece of crap, Dad kept it until I joined the Marine Corp's, think my dad threw it away, never saw it again.

First that I purchased was a surplus WWII Jap 6.5mm rifle, gave $29.00, & had just turned 18.
    Walte
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Stevens pump action .22LR rifle made in 1903. My Dad traded an old Belgian pinfire revolver for it at a Kansas gunshow and handed me the rifle. Still ranks as one of the most thrilling moments of my life. Beach
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was a Browning .22 auto short gallery special gave to me by dad back in 1963. I still have it.