In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on Smith and Wesson?? PIC ADDED

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
I know this isnt the ask the experts forum.. but questions get more action over here.[8D]

This smith has the Serial number in three places,, on the Butt, on the Cylinder, and under the barrel,, in the Yoke is stamped a 5 with a 2 off set , and another series of numbers.. I cant find anything on this gun in any of my books,, any Ideas as to the Model and year????Its the one in the previous pictures[:0]

yo-yo.gif

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    How about some pictures?

I have seen pre-war Smiths that had the serial number stamped on the rear face of the cylinder and the bottom of the barrel, as well as the bottom of the butt, so this is an oldie.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a K frame ? May be a Mod 10 snub. Looks like this one only not nickel. http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/viewitem.asp?item=33863952
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Classic, the odd numbers you are asking about may be assembly identification codes.

I have had a lot of luck with S&W questions by looking at The S&W forum:

http://smith-wessonforum.com

Love that little snub nose...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do y'all run into these wonderful rare finds?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    IDS: these finds are all over Florida;

This is a large frame revolver.. I will see if I can get pics of the numbers in the yoke

yo-yo.gif
    edited November -1
    The terrier has a round butt, this one has a square butt.. here is a pic of the numbers in the Yoke,, the Serial number is 183*** with a C way out in front something like C 183*** And the gun is a Six Shot not 5,,inside the grips is the serial number also meaning they are factory original...

smith.jpg

yoke.jpg

yo-yo.gif
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Military & Police .38. Later known as Model 10.

From the hammer, I think it is post WWII, probably made in the 50s.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic,if it's a .38spl. or a .38S&W it should be one of these?Manufactured in 1948.
    standard.jpg

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
    edited November -1
    The serial number fits in with the 1948 air crewmen thing, Thanks everyone,, this gun is in such great shape for the age, but I am gonna shoot it tonight at the range..[:D]

Again thanks to everyone,, that helped Identify the year..

Thanks ATF for the Serial numbers compied it an stored them for future use...[;)]

yo-yo.gif