In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If you could go back in time...........

Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
What time period and where would you go?

Me? I'd love to go back to the 1870's and 1880's.

The places?

Dodge City KS
Hays KS
Abilene TX
Deadwood SD
Tuscon AZ
Tombstone AZ
Reno NV

No need for CCW permits back then. [;)]

Comments

• nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometime in the remote past where superstition was the rule (Europe circa 1300?) before the invention of firearms. I'd take all the guns and ammo I could with me in the portal or chamber or whatever it is that allows time travel and amaze the ignorant natives with my amazing magic devices that can kill at a distance of hundreds of yards (or whatever they used as a standard back then) in less than a second. I'd kill the king, force the locals to worship me, instruct them in the finer points of empire building and create my own kingdom, run along the lines of Marlon Brando's Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.[}:)]

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    badwrench- I was in San Francisco in the 60s and 70s, before and after my all expenses paid trip across the pond, but I don't remember much of my time there- which I understand is a common problem.
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as my time machine was a tanker truck and I could go back when gas prices were about .30 a gallon I would go back in time.

dsarms_e0.gif

It is better to be prepared, than to be suprised.

I'm pro choice: I choose to hunt, trap, eat meat, and wear fur.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I'd go back to the writing of the Constitution and add the phrase "or get your * kicked" to most of the Amendments[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lewis and Clarke era or gangster roaring 20's era..
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    San Antonio de Bexar, Februrary 1836. Providing I get to carry a few Barrett .50s, Browning M2s, M60s, M16s and a 53' box trailer full of ammo.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would warn all of our forefathers to stop bringing in slaves, as one day they will be free, and then become the scourge of the country

I watched roots last week, I find it has a happy ending if you watch it backwards
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go back to high school and live it just a little different knowing now what I didn't know then.[}:)]
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1880's
    someplace in s.e. az......

d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO (dreaming of tombstone?)...
    abc guns
    sweetwater,tn

abcguns.com
  • carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to go back when only the Native Americans were here. 50 Years before the whites. Live the way they live. To Have Honor. To Survive on what we were given. And do it well I might Add.

"Guns don't kill people, husbands who come home early do." -Larry the Cable Guy

"If I can't trust my self carrying my gun, I shouldn't be carrying it."
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I'd go back to the early 70's and 80's; buy as much Microsoft and Halliburton stock as I could. [:D]

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippohula.gif
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1995. I'd work 3 jobs for the next 4 years and pour every penny I had into tech stocks. I'd then sell them all in 1999-2000 and retire. Plus the music was a lot better back then, before even top 40 became jungle music.

cat.gif
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I like it right where I'm at![:D]

heat1.jpg
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1990....family ties, fresh prince of bel air, urkel...what more so you need [;)][:D]

24_emblem.jpg

"Not many like us, in fact very few, and most of them are dead" LtCol Pratt - USMC
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I would love to go back to the early 12th and 13th centuries, Constantinople, already on the vanguard of personal hygene, antibiotics, and analgesics....
    But the Christians sacked them so whatever they accomplished was lost....

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back to last Tuesday before I lost my Friggen keys[:(!][:(!][}:)]

americashapeflag.gif
    "If I'm ignorant, that's the first I've heard of it"
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    June 1979: Disco sucked [xx(], youth was king [8D], I was a boot in Orlando [:D], and the world was my oyster! [}:)]

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really want to go anywhere but if I were to go back it would be the Mountain Man era (1824-1836) or 1942 at a place called Guadalcanal--especially would like to have taken part in the night fights against the jap navy in Iron Bottom Sound.
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm right there with ya, Big Dave and abcguns2. I love the old west. It'd be a hoot! You know, despite what the movies portray, there were actually less murders in the entire time period and area commonly called the "old west", than there were in New York City in each of those years. Of course that's not counting military action against native Americans which were not considered murders back then.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    I'd go back to the early 70's and 80's; buy as much Microsoft and Halliburton stock as I could. [:D]

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippohula.gif

Go back another 30 years and buy Coka-cola & pepsi you would be worth billions.[;)]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    library of alexandria

talk about some fascinating reading
    assuming I could read whatever languages that stuff was written in
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    I'd go back to the writing of the Constitution and add the phrase "or get your * kicked" to most of the Amendments[;)]

My wife had to come see why I was laughing so hard I choked.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Dave

The places?

Dodge City KS
    Hays KS
    Abilene TX
    Deadwood SD
    Tuscon AZ
    Tombstone AZ
    Reno NV

I'm going to be in Dodge City this weekend and could swing through Fort Hays,,, need me to pick up a souveneir(just how in the * do you spell souvenier?[:(!]) toothpick holder or sumpin???[;)][;)]
    While watching westerns I've wondered about the 'going back in time thing',,,and I have come to the conclusion that,,,if,, I lived back then,,I would be DEAD NOW,,, so I'll leave well enough alone!![;)]

,,,sod[:)]

cyclone.gif

Colby.gif
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Ya'all wouldn't last two days without a cable modem and e-mail. [:D][:p]

But, anyhoo, I think I'd like to travel back to:

-December 6, 1941

-The day the constitution was written up, specifically the 2nd amendment and rewrite it so that it was unmistakeable in it's intent, even to liberal scumbags.

-New Mexico/Manhatten Project. Expose those who sold our nuclear secrets to the soviets and blow their brains out.

-Korean War. Convince Truman to let McArthur do what he needed to do to win that war. I see the firing of McArthur as the beginning of our current situation of being whipped in int'l politics and war. Since then we've been weak. IMHO

...1887 or so. Would want to meet up with my great great grandfather. He's the sheriff in Creek County, Creek Indian Nation, Indian Territory. He's also the leading member of the other less than welcome these days secret societies...

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Middle 1970s and get with then poor Bill Gates and buy a 1/2 interest in his business for 10,000

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I would love to go back to the mid 60's! Those times were great even tho a made a bad decision in my life and i would rectify it!

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , as I stated before , 1880's or so in S.E. Az..."f" the movie versions , I have enough real info and (been there-love it "s.e. az.")
    to know , if I could , Thats the place & time 4 me...............
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    abc guns
    sweetwater,tn

abcguns.com

P.S. would also hold to my 2 chosen 'professions' I hold dear !!!!!!
  • Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of interesting answers.......even a few smartazzed ones too. [:p][;)]
    quote:rldowns3 Posted - 06/30/2005 : 11:24:46 PM
    Ya'all wouldn't last two days without a cable modem and e-mail.
    And your point is? [:p][:0][:D]
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Posted - 06/30/2005 : 07:30:33 AM

I would warn all of our forefathers to stop bringing in slaves, as one day they will be free, and then become the scourge of the country

1911-you're great!
  • s1rGr1nG0s1rGr1nG0 Member Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knowing what I know now?

September 10, 2001 with my Sig and a few targets in mind.[:(]
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [blue]Interesting post and thought provoking.
    I have often thought how it would be to go back about 500 years to the area I now live in and have some modern survival gear and just spend a week exploring and looking for familiar landmarks.

We are living in an era that many in the past, where they able to see us, would give a fortune wherein to live. If the world last another 200 or so years there will be those wishing they could come back here to be a variety of occupations. We who are presently captured in this bubble of time should just make the best of it, enjoy the short time we have to be here, and be a good steward of what we have to work with. If the footprint I leave here points someone toward the narrow road to Heaven I will be one happy camper. Just my thoughts.[blue]

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if I could take my arsenal with me, I'd go back to the medieval days and conquer Europe, single handedly. Chain mail is for sissies.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got room for 1 more, you hit it right on the head with your picks.

PJ

quote:Originally posted by Big Dave

The places?

Dodge City KS
    Hays KS
    Abilene TX
    Deadwood SD
    Tuscon AZ
    Tombstone AZ
    Reno NV

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Edmond_DantesEdmond_Dantes Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anywhere, anytime. as long as it isnt here and now.
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to go back about 1,975 years or so, give or take a year, to the southeastern end of the Mediterranean Sea. Like to look up a certain Nazarene,the son of a carpenter but working as an itinerant preacher, just to hear what he had to say about stuff.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Take my present knowledge and experiece back to a night in 1959, in the back seat with ...but you don't want to hear that. OK, same deal, 1963, couch wrestling one summer night ...no, not that, either.
    Well, I like it here just fine ...career, guns, lady. I'll man the portal for your return.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I'd go back to the evening at the station where I was pumping gas to try to get through college, when I asked one of my workmates if he knew any girls that might want to go out with me. If I could go back and not ask that question, I would prevent more than 25 years of heartache that I foolishly generated by meeting the woman that would become my ex wife.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by firstharmonic
    I'd like to go back about 1,975 years or so, give or take a year, to the southeastern end of the Mediterranean Sea. Like to look up a certain Nazarene,the son of a carpenter but working as an itinerant preacher, just to hear what he had to say about stuff.

You might end up on one of the other two crosses as a thief![:D][:D]
    After all you don't know the rules there!![:o)]

If I can't spell, so what!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by s1rGr1nG0
    Knowing what I know now?

September 10, 2001 with my Sig and a few targets in mind.[:(]

Good One!!!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.