In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bushmaster M4A3 16" 223 vs Browning BLR '81 .243

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
I'm looking at a Bushmaster M4A3 16" 223.

I had questions for you'all, but I noticed the 800 number on the Bushmaster web page, and got my answers on this LE-Patrolman-Carb-A2-Blue model from the source. The product shown is the copy with the A2, but the web page describes an A3. The representative apologized. The Sunset has produced changes that have not caught up with the web catalogue. I can't see the difference in this photograph, but I bet some of you can.

I always thought this rifle was O.K. in the Free states, even with the AWB. Was it?

I'm still finding my way around the world of uppers and lowers; I assume that to build one of these might cost a little over half retail, and I'd need more tools; "bedding" a barrel does not sound like it is learned in a book.

So, what'd think of this Bushmaster, if a guy wanted [agreed to] to pick one rifle?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp

LE-Patrolman-Carb-A2-Blue.jpg
The traditionalist side of me is saying "Go with this Browning in .243"
A Browning BLR '81 Lightweight .243 with a 20" barrel.

034006m.jpg

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=006&item=034006111

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/034006l.jpg

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    During the AWB the Bushmaster in your pic was one that was banned due to the bayonet lug, collapsable butt stock, threaded muzzle, pistol grip and such. That nightmare is behind us now, so don't worry.
    I own both an M4 and BLR lightning and would take the M4.
    You are right about assembling an M4 from parts being a few hundred dollars in your favor.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsergovic

The traditionalist side of me is saying "Go with this Browning in .243"

Tell the traditionalist side of you to "shut the hell up," and purchase the Bushy. Or better yet, get the best of both worlds and be a traditionalist AND hitech, and get a Colt.

Colt%20AR15%20SP1%20CAR%20WoodFloorSMALL.jpg

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Bushmaster. Besides, if you're going to get a lever-action, get a Winchester.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    So fugetabout the Bushy and get this MT6400C "Match Target M4"?
    http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/MTM4.asp

This has the A3 upper?
    Does A3 refer to an upper with a removable handle?

Is ther M4 line the same as the AR15 line, only a different name?

Matt, your Colt AR15 has the attached handle? The barrel appears 16", but is configured slightly different in terms of diameter.

MTM4_BIG.jpg

Speaking of naming things differently, the military has a contract to buy a new M107 .50 cal rifle from Barret. To buy loads of them. [I think I got the designation right]. But they didn't want them, after all. Since the $$$ was already budgeted to buy the M107, Barrett renamed the M82. M107 = M82A1
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    So fugetabout the Bushy and get this MT6400C "Match Target M4"?
    http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/MTM4.asp

This has the A3 upper?
    Does A3 refer to an upper with a removable handle?

Is ther M4 line the same as the AR15 line, only a different name?

Matt, your Colt AR15 has the attached handle? The barrel appears 16", but is configured slightly different in terms of diameter.

MTM4_BIG.jpg

Speaking of naming things differently, the military has a contract to buy a new M107 .50 cal rifle from Barret. To buy loads of them. [I think I got the designation right]. But they didn't want them, after all. Since the $$$ was already budgeted to buy the M107, Barrett renamed the M82. M107 = M82A1

Well you want to see an M4? OK, I don't have an individual pic handy but the one to get right now is the Colt LE6920. (Second from bottom, below) The prices have stabilized at about $1200.00, and the are marked "Law enforcement and military use only." Very sweet.

Do it!

Do it!

Colt%20ARs%204ofaKind2004Small.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    The AR15 and M4 look alike to me [blasphmy?!?].

What's the dif?
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I have the Bushy in your picture accept its in A-3 configuration and it is one sweet gun.

GET THE BUSHMASTER!

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    The AR15 and M4 look alike to me [blasphmy?!?].

What's the dif?

A few inches here and there. [;)]

The M4 sold to civilians is not the M4 used by the military, but I think it's as close as they can legally get. It's an AR-15 with a 16" barrel instead of...is it 11.5" or 14.5" on the real M4? Obviously no full-auto. And probably no other substantial changes. As far as looks go, the barrel length is the obvious difference. Barrel length and collapsible stock are the main differences between an AR-15 and civvie M4.
    edited November -1
    The LE Carbine ...

lecarbine.jpg

http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

I have to sell a couple, maybe three, handguns first to buy that one.
  • woodmanwoodman Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The different barrels, specifically the "step-cut" barrel, is intended for the mounting of a grenade launcher, according to the Colt web page.
  • woodmanwoodman Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster -

Should the need arise, the M4 profile barrel is designed to accept attachment of the M203 Grenade Launcher.