In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ham

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Anyone have a good ham smoking recipe?
A friend asked me to smoke the hams off his wild boar. It was a young Russian so it should be good meat.
I'm looking for the brine and all directions.

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did a ham last night.

Scored the outside of it, slathered on some dijon mustard all over the surface...then covered the whole outside with honey and brown sugar. Cooked it up. OH MAN did this thing come out good!!

Tastes even better today![:D]

edit: blows Honeybaked away!!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do my own smoking, You might check your area for a brine mix. I keep a few on hand for just such a thing.

The wood, I like an alder/hickory mix. The smoking time depends on your smoker.
    http://www.home-processor.com/curing.shtml

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Kinda hard to keep em in the Zig Zags..[:D][:o)][:o)][:o)]

Ham is cured pork from the hind leg of the hog. Picnic shoulder or picnic ham is made from the front leg of the hog (USDA FSIS 1995c). Ham varieties may or may not be smoked and are available in many regional and ethnic styles (Alden 2001b). Curing solutions for hams typically contain salt, sodium nitrate, sugar, and seasonings (USDA FSIS 1995c). Dry-cured ham includes country ham and proscuitto. The dry cure mixture is rubbed onto the pork surface and the meat is cured (at or below 40?F) from weeks to a year or more. During this aging process, the moisture is reduced by 18-25%, making these hams safe at room temperature (USDA FSIS 1995c). Brine-cured ham includes culatello and Irish Hams. Usually the fresh meat is both injected with brine and submerged into the brine to allow the cure to reach all of the meat (USDA FSIS 1995c).

yo-yo.gif
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My family in Iowa is partial to Hickory, but I prefer Applewood for smoking, I understand there's less tar and nicotine in it.[;)]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Kinda hard to keep em in the Zig Zags..[:D][:o)][:o)][:o)]

yo-yo.gif

Trying to keep them lit is a real * too[:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    .44 to the head?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.