In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 Special

dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
With all the hulabaloo about compact 40 and 45 autos lately, I can't understand why a manufacturer other than Charter Arms can't come up with a concealable revolver in 44 Special. I bet there is a good market for this round in a defense style snubbie. All that being said, I got tired of waiting and went out and bought a Bulldog Pug. I didn't pay that much for it so my experiment won't be too costly. I also got some Blazer 200gr Gold Dot HP ammo to try out. Anybody have any experience with this load in this gun? I know the recoil will probably be stout, but I am not that sensitive to it. Thoughts?[?]

Comments

• dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any thoughts/advice on the use of 44spl in a 44mag revolver?
    edited November -1
    does anyone know if there is a semi-auto chambered for 44special? Yes, I realize this is a rimmed cartridge.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Shoot'em up! Works just fine. Have fun.

Although, oddly enough, most places I've been to for ammo charge a higher price for specials than the magnum loads.....I haven't figured that out yet.

How is the recoil/accuracy in comparison?
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dallas.com

About the same difference as a Porsche 914 and a Porsche 911[;)] Same fruit, different juice

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I shoot .44 Special in my 3" M29 Hunter almost exclusively. Half the recoil and, for me anyway, better accuracy out to same distance because of it.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    If you shoot just for fun, sometimes you can find "cowboy action" 44's and they shoot little recoil and sometimes are not horribly expensive.

Welcome on board by the way.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'd avoid shooting hot loads with special brass, just so you don't start getting erosion in the chambers in fromt of the brass, which would interfere with the longer mag brass, but unless you shoot a bunch, it's more theoretical than practical.
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love .44Spl. I had a S&W 29 and shot .44Spl. in it all the time. Lighter recoil, easier to shoot and very accurate and cheaper. I have a Navy Arms (Uberti) .44Russian top break revolver which I had the chambers milled out to accept .44Spl. (.44Russian is just a shorter predecessor to the .44Spl. and the .44Mag. and has the same cartridge diameter and bullet). Since the Uberti top breaks are capable of handling .45Colt and the cylinder is longer than the real S&W No. 3 top break revolvers including the No. 3 Russian, it was no problem to convert the cylinder of the Navy Arms Russian to accept .44Spls. It works like a charm and .44Spl. is certainly cheaper and easier to come by than .44Russian (although Black Hills makes a great reproduction cowboy load .44Russian). Besides, even Dirty Harry said he used a "light special" in his S&W 29 .44Mag.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any thoughts/advice on the use of 44spl in a 44mag revolver?

Yes.
    Please do.
    Unless you like more recoil and noise, that is.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huh......I LIKE recoil and noise!

Merc (who needs to get to reloading for his S&W 500)

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well,
    for a couple of years I 'carried' a Charter stainless .44 3" "off duty" while I carried a revolver on duty , then with with the 'auto' thing , No Regrets !!! still own & like & enjoy the little (big) Charter .....
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    abc guns
    sweetwater,tn

abcguns.com
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, if Dirty Harry can carry a "light special" load in his 44 Magnum, then I guess its ok!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg[IMG][/img][IMG][/img]springer.jpg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Med Vel. 44 Mag rounds. Case length is longer and they will not fit in a 44 special gun and they have a little more get up and go than a 44 special.

44 special 246 lead muzzle velocity energy muzzle
    755 feet per sec. 310 ft pds.energy

44mag med vel. 240lead 1000 feet per sec 533n ft. pds. energy
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys
    was out of town and it was not until now that i had the chance to check on all the emails.