In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-1 Garand

bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
In my life, I have seen people hunt with a lot of different firearms, 303 British, sporterized 03's and 17's. I have never seen or heard of anyone using a M-1. I have seen 30 cal. carbines but not grown up M-1s. I know they are not intended as sporting rifles but I know you all have seen unusual firearms on trips, what about the Garand? I don't know if I spelled correctly, please excuse mis-spells.

Comments

• bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've decided that my collection won't be complete until I have a M-1 Garand. I don't want one that so perfect that I would feel guilty shooting it but don't want a hunk of junk either. I want one that looks good and shoots straight. What should I be looking for in a historically accurate(to a point) Garand. I've heard some terms tossed around like wielded, what's that? What prices are these fetching these days.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Item# 521796788
    Something is wrong with this whole deal. The spot weld will only stop you from removing the gas port unit. Looking close you can see the gas cut off is turned off. Someone check with Mark but I think there is nothing a little touch up or replacing a few parts on this rifle couldn't fix.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Well I know they make a special clip so the Garand only holds what is allowed by law. You can get special clip for 1-5 rounds.
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    People have hunted deer around here (Virginia) with Garands for as long as I can remember. Also 1903's and 1917's.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used mine. Unless you try them out you won't have any stories to tell about them and whatever game you killed with them. Here you don't need a special en-bloc clip as we are allowed 8 rounds in the magazine.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    used to be extremely popular with pig hunters here when we could have them.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I used my Garand for deer hunting one year. Bought a couple of the 5 round clips for it. This is an excellent deer rifle and I would not be afraid to use it again!

Shot a mule deer doe and a buck that year at 200 and 300 yards respectively.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, you really don't see alot of them being used for hunting. I imagine that a cut down tanker variant would probably be fun for hunting boar. Loud, but fun...