In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

i need a job

aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
someone hire me please. i'm going nuts not working.

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    missouri's min wage is raised to 7.05.. up 40 cents, in 2 hours.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My yard needs mowing, may be a little far for free lunch and gas money.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Have you checked out this site?

http://www.topusajobs.com
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    How much effort have you put into looking for a job?
    edited November -1
    check snagajob.com
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I've been out of a job for a little over a week and I kinda like it. Just applied for unemployment.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I'm opening a cat house next week. A little short on staff. Could use a good man to run it by hand until I get some girls if you're interested.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    I've been out of a job for a little over a week and I kinda like it. Just applied for unemployment.
    Dont forget about the "waiting week" and verification.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    kinda crude for the holidays.. fats[}:)]
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    Fats...i have 4 cats i can put up for ya...lol

jacob...yup. i have an account with snagajob. i don't think anyone in my area of WV has even heard of a computer, let alone posting a job n the internet. i DO however keep getting postings for Columbus, cincy, dayton, lancaster, reynoldsburg, pickerington and surrounding areas.

BlackRoses...no. i will now.

algore...32 applications and counting.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you called the cable company? They are often hiring installers.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    Fats...i have 4 cats i can put up for ya...lol

jacob...yup. i have an account with snagajob. i don't think anyone in my area of WV has even heard of a computer, let alone posting a job n the internet. i DO however keep getting postings for Columbus, cincy, dayton, lancaster, reynoldsburg, pickerington and surrounding areas.

BlackRoses...no. i will now.

algore...32 applications and counting.

Have you thought about Cruise ships. I understand they are always hiring. Tough being away from home, but better than nothin.
    edited November -1
    sav99...can't drive. no license.

fats...nope. good thought.

too bad the mine was shut down for the next 2 days. i heard they want somebody to charge the batteries for the lights the guys wear. $14 per...no union...just stand there and charge batteries. of course...that info is 2 weeks old now and i just learned it last night.
    edited November -1
    sav99...can't drive. no license.

fats...nope. good thought.

It's my understanding that the wages aren't bad. But you might be out for awhile. If you could leave your children w/relatives a few months, you and the misses might could earn a good enough nest egg to move to where regular work is more plentyfull. So far, Okla isn't doing too bad.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a local kraigslist? look under "gigs"
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    don....

CL: Charleston, wheeling, huntington, martinsburg, parkersburg, old.
    old refers to everywhere that is NOT these cities. and yup...i hit them. no one near me.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about Garbage Collector?
    I heard work is Picking Up. [:)] [:D] [8D]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Aramisi-Have you looked into working on the river as a deckhand on a river barge? The way I understand it your gone for around 3 weeks and home for a couple. Google "American Commercial Barge Lines" and see if they are hiring. They run mostly on the Ohio/Missisippi so you'd still be kinda close to home. It's tough work but might be a change of pace.
    edited November -1
    ljwrench....

i guess i should change my location huh? i live in the dead middle of WV now. i already hit all the (15) places here in my home town for jobs....and hit the next closest (30 miles away) town for jobs.

any smiths on that would be willing to teach me? i've been talking to people about smiths in my area... the most consistent reply "thay ain't one" or "thay awll died. t'ain't been one here fo years" (WV accent added for effect) [:D]
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Here is a list of 569 open jobs in WV. Hope you don't mind working fo da man.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.asp?q=&lid=660&jbf571=&salmin=&salmax=&paygrademin=&paygrademax=&FedEmp=N&tm=&sort=rv&vw=d&brd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y&SUBMIT1.x=56&SUBMIT1.y=16

didn't mean to make the page big. What is the trick to do the tinyurl thing?
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So get out there and pimp yourself, everyday you end the day with a dollar more than you started your getting somewhere.
    You have seen the windshield guys on city street corners? get a squeegee, (a real one,) a window brush, a bucket, a bottle of windshield wash and some rags, and hit the local businesses, window cleaning can be good money.
    My dad told me during the depression, he and my uncles would sell my grandmothers home canned vegetables door to door, My mother used to tell us that dad had "accidentally" shot a elk after he was discharged after WWII, and they kept it in a cold room in the house they lived in, and all winter they ate off the elk, it took me 40 years to ask mom if they bought any meat that winter.... When times get tough, you do whatever you can.....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    ljwrench....

i guess i should change my location huh? i live in the dead middle of WV now. i already hit all the (15) places here in my home town for jobs....and hit the next closest (30 miles away) town for jobs.

any smiths on that would be willing to teach me? i've been talking to people about smiths in my area... the most consistent reply "thay ain't one" or "thay awll died. t'ain't been one here fo years" (WV accent added for effect) [:D]

That would be what I'd suggest. I had to. I was absolutely amazed to learn that the 1990's were so prosperous in America. Sure couldn't tell it in SE Ks.
    I can't even BEGIN to tell you how GLAD I am that I finally left. My life is so much better. More opportunities, better pay.
    I see my old KS friends still struggling and BEG them to leave. Some have and have done better as I did. And some won't and will likely never have anything.
    Now would be a tough time to relocate w/o knowing you have a job 1st. But a $8.00 job at McD's in Tulsa might be better than no job in W.Va.
    edited November -1
    i'm working on rebuilding my life so i can leave WV again.

most of this was just a "god i'm so bored i need to get the hell outta here...feeling down because of what i lost...hate bringing in a new year without the woman i love in my life anymore" rant/thread.

but you guys did give me some good ideas.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    for most of your water related jobs you'll need an mmd(merchant mariners document) and a twic(transportation workers identity credential). i dont know anything about you, so this isnt mean to be offensive, but there are some requirments. its all federal, so the usual bs. citizen, no felony convictions, nor drug use, honorable discharge if applicable etc etc.

if its somethign you're thinking about, get the paperwork rolling asap. it can take months. the twic is a new thing. at this time its both required and completely worthless. i have heard horror stories of people that enrolled a year ago and stil dont have it. i had mine in 7 days exactly(2nd fastest in my enrollment centers history) so its pretty variable but its the fed so you can reasonably expect it to take forever and a day.

fwiw, entry level maritime jobs are damned hard to get right now. about the onloy chance you have is if your actually able to show up at the dock/office packed and ready to go with all your documents. ive heard stories of guys showing up at the interviewers office down in the gulf and seeing a two foot tall stack of mailed/emailed/faxed resumes etc. its the guys that show up at the boat that get hired, not the guy that tried to phone it in from three states away.

ive been working on getting an ocean going job for 4 months. i even have the most highly reccomended maritime headhunter in the business on my case for about the same period of time and i still dont have a gig(mainly becuase i cant take a field trip to the boat hall in seattle or down to fourchon, la).

bottom line is i wouldnt reccomend trying to get into the maritime business right now. its sucks out there, unless you;re connected.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.federaljobsearch.com/advanced_search.asp?cid=0&tid=36371474&matchall=0&search=&grd=0&tot=166&pg=0&states=55&cats=0&daysdiff=0&sort=0&dir=0&searchId=29612083&profileOnly=0

I went ahead and put W.Va. into the search just for grins an giggles. Looked like quite a few openings.

Hope that blasted link fits. Blame me if'n ya gotta scroll three feet to the right.[:I]
  • clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey aramis, I feel your pain on the "bored". I was in a car accident almost 10 months ago and still haven't been released to go back to work. Warning: It gets worse. Good Luck
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you need to do, is get up, go to one end of town and walk from business to business and start putting in aps. Do one side, then go down the other side. Do this every day until you have put in aps. in every business in your town/city

Then at night take a phone book, write down every business that doesn't have an office or store to work out of and call them on the phone. If they only answer during business hours, then call from your cell or a pay phone as your pounding the pavement during the day..

I have never been out of work more than 2 days in my life. And I've seen a lot tougher times than this. They won't come to you, you have to go to them, instead of sitting around designing jet powered hang gliders, That BTW has already been done

JMO
    edited November -1
    cowboy....i read many of the postings on that link....

remmy...did that.

clb024...that must've been one heck of a wreck...but you're still here and kickin...that's what counts.

here's a map.... find the red "x" that's where i am. and remember....no license, no car. depending on dad for transportation until i get $1000 saved to get my license back.

6219661-739.jpg
  • GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go Mart is always hiring.[;)]
    edited November -1
    gk.... hit them too. in fact, i hit 2 of them...even tho i was told 1 app covered 5 of the locations near me..i hit 2 of the closest.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Chris. Buy a book and start memorizing mixed drinks. There's always a bartender needed. And you'll never forget how for the future. (there are bennys btw that'll take care of your other 'problem' [;)])
    Also barbers. Most shops will rent you a chair. but IIRC WV requires a cert for that.
    Start now while you're young and build some experience you can fallback on if times get rough again. May not pay much but the two above will always be needed.

So will finish carpentry. Or whatever they call hand fitting 'gingerbread' trim. Those skills would translate into stock making. (with muzzleloaders the rest is minimal)

This is the only gunsmith I'm aware of left in WV.
    http://www.novaksights.com/novak_sights.htm
    The old man may have passed though.
    There are many parts replacers.

Did you check Kroger pharmacy's?

Right now I'd look into clearing driveways and installing snow chains (maybe even clearing roofs) for some tax free bucks over the next couple of months. Then there's always someone wanting some plowing done in the spring. (or 'landscaping' if you will)

Or as Don said check into window cleaning. Start locally and expand. Undercut whomever is doing it now. They usually pay cash. My BIL built up a route from Hurricane to Beckley that brought in over $1500/week on just chain restaurants over the last 10 years, till the IRS caught up with him. (he pizzed off his galfriend and she turned him in) [:D] He started out walking with a 5 gal bucket,spray bottle,a long handled squeegee,and a few towels.

One 'job' he did was planting flowers for a Golden Corral. He used those 6/$1 spring plants from Lowes. He cleared over $2 grand after expenses for a two day job!

Employers always question why someone is not currently employed. Sometimes they miss out on a good worker by doing this.

Allen
    edited November -1
    i'm working on rebuilding my life so i can leave WV again.

most of this was just a "god i'm so bored i need to get the hell outta here...feeling down because of what i lost...hate bringing in a new year without the woman i love in my life anymore" rant/thread.

but you guys did give me some good ideas.

Well it a tough situation. Here's how I saw it. In 1996 I was working at a foundry for $5.25 PH. Worked 8hrs OT every week so I could bring home $200. after deductions. And after paying bills, I usually had less than $50. left out of my pay for spending money or to save a portion of for something I wanted.
    I spent years waiting for "My ship to come in." Waiting for some favorable change in conditions that never materialized. Then it hit me. You can stand there at the dead end, banging your head against the wall. Or get off your * and do something to help yourself. And believe me, NOBODY can do it for you.
    I sold EVERY DAMNED THING I OWNED except my car. Including my motorcycle, my guns, and my highly prized inherited 1969 Sunburst Fender Stratocaster and Kustom Amplifier. I even sold my furniture. And went to truck driving school.
    When I met my current wife while I was still in school. I was living in a 1974 Ford LTD.
    I did get Govt help for school. The JPTA program which I think is no longer in effect. I knew that this was my ONE chance and took it EXTREMELY SERIOUSLY. Graduated 2nd in my class on a Friday in May 1997. I was 38 yrs old and didn't have a dime. All I owned was a 1974 Ford LTD. Started a new job the next Monday.
    In May 1998 I bought a brand new Harley. And in Oct. 1998 I bought my current home near Tulsa Ok. (Married the wife in July '98).
    Didn't really enjoy the OTR trucker life. It was OK for the 1st couple years. Certainly enjoyed the income and seeing the country. But it got old pretty quick. But I stuck with it until I had built my good driving record and credentials so that I was a viable candidate for ANY truckng job I might apply for. And eventually landed a semi local position where I am home every day, that still paid as good (actually BETTER) than OTR.
    Now the details of how things work out for you will almost certainly be different than it was for me. Different people w/different talents in different place in time.
    But one thing is the same. YOU have to MAKE IT HAPPEN. Won't be easy and you'll have to sacrifice. But one thing about this great country. If you make up your mind that you've had enough of being on the bottom of the totem pole, You CAN find a way to advance. When you make that decision is entirely up to you.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...No license??? THAT alone will seriously hender your job options...most employers will be very nervous about hiring someone without a "gauranteed" way to make it to work...I'd be working VERY hard at getting my license which = a LOT bettter shot at landing a job and the ability to relocate TO where the jobs are, luck...[;)]

...Oh, the woman, get past it...they're everywhere, besides, if it bothers you to think about her, WTH punish yourself with more misery?
    IF you just have to have a woman around, find one immediately...best cure for getting past the one you lost...same advice if you loose your best friend, a dog...get a puppy ASAP...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...No license??? THAT alone will seriously hender your job options...most employers will be very nervous about hiring someone without a "gauranteed" way to make it to work...I'd be working VERY hard at getting my license which = a LOT bettter shot at landing a job and the ability to relocate TO where the jobs are, luck...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

That's right. I saw on another thread where you have some guns. Now I know you'd hate to sell them. But what's more important? Having a few guns or getting your life on track?
    You can get more guns later.
    And not having a woman is to your benefit right now. Less baggage to be responsible for. Plus the Bible says to "Build YOUR house. THEN find a woman to move into it."
    You'll find you have a better chance & selection, once you are on a stable foundation.
    I don't mean to sound harsh. But it's a harsh situation. Good Luck.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    start a oil change and grease job while you wait business
    cut firewood
    shooting range
    lawn mower repair and servicing
    find somethin you like to do and use it youngun, be versatile, you young folks have'nt ever seen hard times,and take things for granted. gotta use your head,look around and see things folks need done..advertise and bring a service to your area[;)][8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    start a oil change and grease job while you wait business
    cut firewood
    shooting range
    lawn mower repair and servicing
    find somethin you like to do and use it youngun, be versatile, you young folks have'nt ever seen hard times,and take things for granted. gotta use your head,look around and see things folks need done..advertise and bring a service to your area[;)][8D]

+1. Good advice.
    If I ever lose my job, I'm thinking of getting a high pressure washer and start a biz cleaning house siding & decks. Hopefully work like hell in the spring/summer/fall, and take winter off.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You could move to Florida, the strawberry farms are hiring now..[:D]
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    hint...you will find that if you cater to the older retired folks,just helping them do odd jobs that they are no longer able to do,and keeping it affordable for them to call on you,you will have more work than you can handle...a few bucks a day beats none...jake will make 30 here 50 there 20 over there...he isn't choosy...and its cash to boot[;)]
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that it is a good ways to the Walmart complex north of Summerville on Rt19. But could be a place to look..

Are mines in that area like Lady H still operating? Hanover also had a some guys working somewhere near Summerville. When Fork Creek shut down Hanover sent guys to Cook Mountain near Van and some to Summersville to work. Which made a lot of them happy for they lived in that area.

Down towards Fayetteville, Hico, Hinton you have all of the Whitewater companies that do a lot of hiring during the spring and summer. Everything from house cleaning, cooks, bar tenders to guides. All of them are willing to train a new guide be it for float fishing or whitewater rafting. Use to know a lot of good people that worked for River Expeditions (still great people by the way), Class IV and River Runners. Most of the guys I knew have since moved on to bigger and better things thou.

Also check with the DNR. They hire maintenance crews at times to take care of parks like Seneca. The people do light maintenance and clean the cabins, work on trails and what ever needs to be done during the summer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    hint...you will find that if you cater to the older retired folks,just helping them do odd jobs that they are no longer able to do,and keeping it affordable for them to call on you,you will have more work than you can handle...a few bucks a day beats none...jake will make 30 here 50 there 20 over there...he isn't choosy...and its cash to boot[;)]

+1 again. My folks live 50 miles away and while I help often and as much as I can. I can't be there for alot of stuff.
    And they are always on the lookout for a reliable youngster to help them out. Mowing, shoveling snow, waxing cars. Just lots of mundane little jobs. And when they find one, usually a high school kid who wants some spending cash, they find something for him to do at least weekly.
    Plus the kid uses their mowers etc. And they pay CASH and are so appeciative that often give a bonus when something comes up that they need done quickly.