In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got Contacted From FleaBay

chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
Got an email this afternoon from Fleabay saying that my credit card was no good. Wanted me to enter my screenname and password, then my credit card #, PIN, bank account, SS#, checking account number and routing number, mother's maiden name, etc.

I'm real glad that fleabay is looking out for me or I wouldn't have known that my CC was invalid. Good thing there are astoute people over there that can remind me of such things... and that my middle name is Moron.

Do these crooks actually think anybody is going to fall for that? Fraud is a terible thing, but if somebody falls for this nonsense then they've got a serious problem with critical thinking.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"

Comments

• TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People have been falling for it though.
    I do not understand how they can. I guess it is just Stupid.

Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it state: "Seperation of Church and State".
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't you just love to meet these slime-balls in a neighborhood bar with a few of your buds?

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Email is cheap. Just like those Nigerians that send those emails saying they've got millions of surplus dollars and just need your bank accout for a safe place to keep it, with a big part of it going to you.

It's simple. If you have the computer power to send out 100,000 spam emails and find one idiot that replys that nets you $50,000.00, you've had a very good day as a crook!

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never Underestimate the stupidity of some individuals. A buddy of mine is a special investigator for the local State's Atty. He shows me scams that people fall for that are so obvious.

I guess P.T. Barnum had it right.......

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    My dad got an email from fleabay that said his account had violated one of their policies and that he was going to have to send them some of his personal info to have it "unfrozen" i have to admit that it did look authentic. I just looked at him and said "This is a scam!"

they wanted his password, credit card info, SSN, just stuff like that. I hate people who try to get away with stuff like that. He filed a report with them.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got two or three spoof emails and ignored them...they stopped. I suggest checking the sites tips for spotting a spoof email.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Just read down to the part where they request a CC # or a bank account # and I can guarantee it's a scam of some kind.

aliens.jpg
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Received the same thing last month! LOOKED real, some people really do fall for this crap! AND I WOULD LIKE TO MEET THESE INDIVIDUALS AT THE LOCAL WATERING HOLE! MAJOR * kicking would be involved and I am a peaceful person. Scams are scum! nambu
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Forward these type emails to The place they are supposed to be representing, I get them saying they are my ISP and they need updated info.

If they get caught, its a Federal Crime. cause the fraud extends over state bounderies.

If you think about it, look at your doctor bills sometime, double billing, some contest it, and others just pay the bill.

This is the land of get rich quick Schemes, and cons, just gotta juse some common sence, If it looks "Too good to be true" take caution

Classic (the Ugly Biker)
    pig.jpg
    "I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have fun with the scams from nigera..most are sent from the uk if you noticed them......i love the ones where the old hubby got knocked off and hid tons of cash for the wife and daughter..to survive on...i send replys back...telling them that i am the son of the general that wiped out the village..and now im coming for every cent that they have hidden from my father and his rebel band of cut throats..then i blast em for the lying cheating scamming ahole's they are.and tell them to send my their account numbers...so far i havent recived them[:(]not even a return email...but im hoping one day!...lol[:D]

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if it does any good but ebay has an address to forward these emails to. I have sent them 6 or 8 and always get a thank you reply. Had a stupid friend who filled his out. Next thing he knew he was buying up ebay as well as listing things he didn't own. Took 2 days and a lot of pain to clear up. My motto is if I don't know you or I didn't ask your email goes in the can unopened. -Don

Also if anyone ever corners one of these fraud artists at the local pub, let me know. I have a special surprise for them.
    [:(!]

blonds.bmpWhen they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Parsons.gif
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    What is this I received yesterday.Said it was from E-Bay

eBay request: Please follow the Member Verification Procedure (Second Notice)

Dear eBay Member,

Due to recent account takeovers and unauthorized listings, eBay is introducing a new account verification method. From time to time, randomly selected accounts (seller and/or buyer) are subjected to an advanced verification process based on our merchant accounts/bank relations and customers credit card. eBay may also request in an email message scanned/faxed copies of one or more photo ID's. Your account confirmation may go wrong if your credit card/bank account is expired, or if you have changed your credit card number, billing address etc. without letting us know about the change.
    Subject of this verification process are also the accounts that have unpaid dues to eBay.
    Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your eBay registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    Note: If this is the second time you receive this notice, it might be because you have made a mistake when you entered your details or that the account was not updated at all.

It then had adresses highlighted for me to click on.To which I didn't.
  • PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None of the Sites..... be it GB Auction, Fleabay, Bank of America, etc have you click on a hyperlink to enter sensitive information, if the email says "click here" its a scam..just delete it..If in doubt log onto the actual site itself

Email address for reporting Fleabay spoof emails is "Spoof@ebay.com"

And yes, I have received plenty spoof mails including a few allegedly from Gunbroker