In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Daylight Savings Time

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
why didn't they just set the clock back 1/2 hour, leave it year round, and be done with it! stooopid
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh Boy! This coming Sunday many of us get to Fall Back an hour of our lives! Sure does disrupt my sleep cycle twice a year!
    edited November -1
    Each year about this time, and again in the Spring, I have to adjust my living and sleeping habits due to Daylight Savings Time. I have never liked Daylight Savings Time, but I help to enforce it because it is the law of the land, and we do get an extra hour of daylight out of the deal.

I have suspected for a few years now that we don't really get an extra hour of daylight. This year I did an illegal experiment which I am aware was in violation of the law. At 2:00 AM, I pretended to turn my watch back, but I really didn't move the hands. I stayed on Daylight Savings Time an extra day, but didn't tell anyone. I hoped I would be proved wrong, but the sun set on everyone in the neighborhood at the same moment, including me. For me it was 6:15 PM, for everyone else it was 5:15 PM, but I had lost exactly one hour of daylight this morning. Now I am faced with the ugly truth. We have been hoodwinked. We do not save daylight on Daylight Savings Time. But it's the law of the land, so I'll continue to help enforce it.

There are people, some in my own family, who would turn the clock back when going to bed instead of 2:00 AM, as required by law, if someone didn't enforce the law. Even police officers in uniform talk about changing the clock before 2:00 AM, but when questioned about it, they claim they conform to the law. Right. I have even heard radio DJs openly advocate changing the clock before going to bed.

I intend to turn myself in to the Time Police for my violation of the law. I can't live with myself.

Daylight Savings Time was first suggested by Benjamin Franklin as a joke. Unfortunately, Congress can't take a joke.
    edited November -1
    Aside from those in Arizona and Hawaii (I already know the answer) does your state have a measure or bill in progress to end the ridiculousness known as daylight savings time?
    edited November -1
    dont forget spring forward this sunday @ 2 AM
    edited November -1
    It's time to move your clocks forward one hour tonight. For most of us that means losing one hour of sleep. For some here, it's one less hour on the computer[:(]. On the bright side, it means longer days, more time after work to shoot, fish, and chat on the forum!

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6PM eastern here in SC and it is dark.

" It Ain't Over till its Over"
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    6:30 and dark as can be in eastern VA. Then again, in ND in the winter it was pitch black by 4:30 PM in the winter but not until after 11:00 PM in the summer.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You've got too much time on your hands James (must be that extra hour you claim you never got). The actual term is Daylight Saving Time. The way you say Daylight Savings Time is like an advertisement announcing that it is "Ammo Savings Time at John's Guns". Daylight Saving Time does not magically give you any extra time (I wish it could) it is simply one hour ahead of Standard Time and allows for more hours of sunlight in the evenings when the days are longer and people like to remain outdoors for evening activites like sports. Most folks don't really want the sun coming up before 5 AM in the Summer (except those darn farmers) and would rather have that light to enjoy in the evenings rather than while they are still in bed sleeping. There are no "savings" of day light, you simply get to enjoy it later into the evening. You may consider relocating to Indiana as I understand they are on Standard Time year round but Aviod Arizona since they never go off Daylight Saving Time.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:There are people, some in my own family, who would turn the clock back when going to bed instead of 2:00 AM, as required by law, if someone didn't enforce the law. Even police officers in uniform talk about changing the clock before 2:00 AM, but when questioned about it, they claim they conform to the law.

Required by law????????????

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the extra hour as an excuse to watch a little more of the second season of "24".
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    You may consider relocating to Indiana as I understand they are on Standard Time year round but Aviod Arizona since they never go off Daylight Saving Time.

In a technical sense, us Hoosiers never go off Daylight Saving Time either. Prior to the decision to stop changing, Indiana was part of the Central Time Zone. We leave our clocks set on Eastern Standard time all year, which is the same as Central Daylight.

Some counties immediately adjacent to Cincinati and Louisville do observe DST because so many of the residents there commute out of state to work.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could move to AZ, i don't believe they practice daylight saving time.....

friends stand behind you.... true friends stand shoulder to shoulder with you.
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]Do you think that the Eskimos give a snot about daylight savings-No,they're to busy[:p][:p][:p][:p]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had people asking me "what time is it in Indy this month" for 40 years. I think there are 4 or 5 reasons that folks say why we don't follow 97% of the rest of the country. These arguments are enough to convince the legislature made up of part-time politicians and full time pig farmers.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indiana policitians are a notoriously stubborn lot. I know, cause a good chunk of my family are Indiana politicians. [}:)]

What we save in DST is electric power, on summer evenings. Also, it is thought to reduce traffic accidents.

"Every child had a pretty good shot,
    To get at least as far as their old man got,
    But something happened on the way to that place,
    They threw an American flag in our face."
    -Billy Joel, "Allentown"
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Maybe just maybe its time to flood the congress will with e-mail, to do away with day light saving time.Do you think?

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the dumbest law ever passed. Screwing up sleep schedules, medication schedules, work schedules, eating habits, etc so some dork can get an extra hour of golf in the evening in the summer.

Makes me mad every year. I feel set upon by the Federal Government. It is a useless and agravating event twice a year.

Feel better now. Got that off my chest.[:p]

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Mark: Farmers actually don't want the sun up that early - part of the reason they get up so early in the summer is so they can get the morning work done before it gets too hot to do it. Haying in particular can be pretty temperature-sensitive.

As to Arizona and DST, it's more complicated than that. Arizona doesn't practice DST (they want the sun below the horizon as early as possible in the summer), but the large Navajo reservation does, except that the smaller reservation (anyone know the tribe?) inside the Navajo reservation does not. If you drive across Arizona at the right time on the right day, you can change your clock 6 times:

1. Enter from New Mexico while DST is in effect - set clock one hour back
    2. Enter Navajo nation - set clock one hour ahead
    3. Enter smaller reservation - set clock one hour back
    4. Re-enter Navajo nation - set clock one hour ahead
    5. Re-enter Arizona - set clock one hour back
    6. Enter California after DST ends - set clock one hour back

On a side note, I wonder if John Kerry would drop DST for us. [;)]
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    DLST is a perfect example of politicians serving up a crock of snot..and the masses supping like it was ambrosia.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    the smaller reservation (anyone know the tribe?) inside the Navajo reservation

Hopi.

-Billy Joel, "Allentown"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by plains scout
    I feel set upon by the Federal Government.

Actually, DST has nothing to do with the FedGov. States can easily opt out of it, like Indiana and Arizona have.

-Billy Joel, "Allentown"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neighbor's rooster was crowing at 3:30 AM this morning. How does Chicken and Dumplin's sound for supper?

" It Ain't Over till its Over"
  • BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is annoying to make the changes, however, it does give one the opportunity to visit the tree stand in the morning and still get to work on time or get the darn farmer chores done before 10am.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Its not that bad.
    I like it, my children don't have to walk to school in the dark.
    Thats a good enough reason for daylight savings time for me.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least I "GOT" to work an hour over overtime saturday night. [xx(]

dsarms_e0.gif

It is better to be prepared, than to be suprised.
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with NOSLEEP:

I could hunt in the morning and still make it to the office on time.

I believe that other than energy savings another benefit that was toted to Congress is more light when children are catching school buses in the early morning hours.

"They're in front of us, they're behind us, they're to our left and to our right...they can't get away now."

Chesty Puller, Chosin Reservoir, Korea

SEMPER FI
    edited November -1
    I think if you check, your children are going to school in the daylight and you get the extra time on the stand in the morning because we went back onto standard time.

An no, Black Roses, you won't get locked up for changing the clocks early. The time does change at 2:00 am as a matter of law, but there is nothing in the law about how you handle your clocks. It's just when we change from time zone "QUEBEC" to time zone "ROMEO".

If everybody wants to go to work an hour early and knock off an hour early in the Summer, what would be wrong with just doing that? Why change the clock?

I really don't care what kind of time we use. We could change ante meridiem to post meridiem and vice versa (which would change midnight to noon), I'd just like to pick one and settle on that. This changing twice a year don't make much sense to me.

Anyhow, I'm over it now. But, on 3 April 2005, I'll be p!$$ed again.