In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Teaching kids to celebrate homosexuality?

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
edited January 2005 in General Discussion
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 11:10 AM

>Subject: Dr. Dobson Sets the Record Straight

>

> By now you've undoubtedly heard about the controversy surrounding statements I made recently in which I reportedly accused a cartoon character named SpongeBob SquarePants of being "gay." Although I never made any such comment, the media has repeated the story incessantly, to the point that the truth of the matter has been completely obscured.

>

> Here's what actually happened. In an address to congressional leaders last month, I briefly took the time to express my concern over a video that is being distributed to elementary schools featuring not only SpongeBob, but more than 100 additional children's characters including the Muppets, Barney the Dinosaur, Bob the Builder, and Winnie the Pooh. The video itself is relatively harmless and is devoid of any sexual content. However, it is being incorporated into a larger campaign, created by an organization called the We Are Family Foundation, to teach "tolerance" to young children. Unfortunately, rather than simply encouraging tolerance of those who come from different cultural, religious, or socio-economic backgrounds - which we believe is a worthy objective - the curriculum also contains material designed to encourage young children to celebrate homosexual behavior.

>

> To complicate the issue further, soon after this story broke, the pro-homosexual resources to which we took offense were suddenly removed from the We Are Family Foundation's Web site. However, despite the suspicious disappearance of this material and the public denials on the part of the foundation that it was promoting homosexuality, we have extensive and detailed documentation showing that my original statements are still valid. It should be obvious that my concern lies not with SpongeBob or Big Bird or any of the other characters in the video, but with the way the We Are Family Foundation is hijacking those childhood symbols to blatantly promote the teaching of homosexuality to children in elementary school.

>

> The February edition of my monthly letter, which is being released a few days early, explains this situation in greater detail. It can be accessed on Focus on the Family's Web site by clicking here<http://imdl.net/nct?id=$id&urlid=1405&aid=837>. I hope you will take the time to read it and get a better understanding of what has transpired. This is especially important if you are a parent with children in public school. Now, more than ever, we must be vigilant in staying abreast of what our little ones are being taught in the classroom.

>

>

>

> James C. Dobson, Ph.D.

> Founder and Chairman

Larry
binladen.gifShowLetter.gif

Comments

• Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Where would we be if...
    ksm0227l.jpg

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower/The gun manufacturers are not making a dangerous product.
    Bad parents are.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll take the bait...

"Unfortunately, rather than simply encouraging tolerance of those who come from different cultural, religious, or socio-economic backgrounds - which we believe is a worthy objective - the curriculum also contains material designed to encourage young children to celebrate homosexual behavior."

Anyone see the contradiction in James' own statement?

Set the Media Straight on SpongeBob
    Urge them to stop distorting Dr. Dobson's words

Hundreds of media outlets in recent days have vastly distorted comments made by Dr. James Dobson designed to warn parents of efforts to promote homosexuality to their children through the schools.

Dr. Dobson has been mocked for saying that a group calling itself the We Are Family Foundation is using a video on "tolerance" -- one which features popular cartoon characters like SpongeBob SquarePants -- to potentially teach children that homosexuality is the moral and biological equivalent to heterosexuality. Instead of reporting those concerns accurately, though, reporters have twisted the story to say Dr. Dobson has suggested SpongeBob is gay.

Among the greatest offenders in the media:

* New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, who sarcastically wrote Dr. Dobson had done "the country a service be reminding us to watch out for the dark side of lovable but malleable sponges."

* Today show anchor Matt Lauer, who suggested that "Focus has made a mistake and really doesn't want to apologize for it."

* MSNBC.com columnist Michael Ventre, who called Christians "creepy, rigid, arrogant, cruel, know-it-all, pompous, obnoxious and treacherous -- better know by the acronym CRACKPOT." He added: "They are giving Jesus Christ a bad name."

* Crossfire host James Carville, who said: "How stupid am I? I thought these (tolerance and diversity) were actual virtues."

* MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann, who said: "If the folks at Focus on the Family are right, it could make you, your children or maybe your furniture gay. Or tolerant."

Would you like to set these reporters and commentators straight on the real facts of the story? We've made it easy for you to do just that. Just click the "Take Action Now" button and you'll be taken to an easy-to-use e-mail form that will allow you to send one message to all five of them.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I'll take the bait...

"Unfortunately, rather than simply encouraging tolerance of those who come from different cultural, religious, or socio-economic backgrounds - which we believe is a worthy objective - the curriculum also contains material designed to encourage young children to celebrate homosexual behavior."

Anyone see the contradiction in James' own statement?

No, I see NO CONTRADICTION in what is quoted above. Tolerance of "different cultural, religious, or socio-economic backgrounds" is not even vaguely related to homosexuality, which is a human (mis)behavior. "Celebrating homosexual behavior" should be the thing of homosexuals and their fans (if at all--Romans 1:32), but certainly not the general population and certainly not the stuff of childhood school curriculum.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tolerance is a personal decision that comes from a belief that every person is a treasure. I believe that America's diversity is its strength. I also recognize that ignorance, insensitivity and bigotry can turn that diversity into a source of prejudice and discrimination.

To help keep diversity a wellspring of strength and make America a better place for all, I pledge to have respect for people whose abilities, beliefs, culture, race, sexual identity or other characteristics are different from my own.

From the website http://www.wearefamilyfoundation.org/tolerance_pledge.asp

No where in there does it state that children "Celebrate" homosexuality. However it does offer respect for people that are different. Christianity is still trying to deal with cultural diversity black and white issues The rest of the world has moved on.

Mathew 7:3

However, I mostly agree with you that this is not something that should be taught to kids that are still watching Big Bird. I immagine that the creators of this website were trying install morals like respect for others at an early age.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg