In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Century Arms Garands?

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited May 2004 in General Discussion
I see a guy selling a good looking Century Arms Garand. I've heard the receivers on these puppies can be pretty poopy but this Garand seems to be quite nice and can be bought now for only $600.

Any opinions? My gut tells me CAI Garands are pieces of junk but I have to ask anyway! [^][^][^]

Here's some pictures:

A_A1_1083002570_m1garnd01.JPG
A_A1_1083002573_m1garnd04.JPG

signew.JPG
aniGif.gif
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Comments

• robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Fine, don't believe me. I have no reason to lie on this forum Mark. You can even call her and ask if you want.

The want ad was 95% of a joke and a dream than anything else. I'll be sure to never do it again.

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Robo, most everthing reassembled from Century is poopy. The Garands from Century are LEGENDARY!!

free_israel_web.gifCarpe_Scrotum.gif

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    Robo, most everthing reassembled from Century is poopy. The Garands from Century are LEGENDARY!!

Legendary for their poopyness? Well that's no fun! [V]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    edited November -1
    Yes, contrary to what you may believe I did go to a NRA rifle match last July. Believe it or NOT I finished first in the unclassified category. I had the paperwork with me in December but didn't have the $$$ at the time to go for the CMP Garand. I left it there and thought it hadn't moved. The reason I asked my mother to find it on such short notice was because I was planning on taking a road trip to Ohio to visit the North Store. Now if I wait until I get home and send away through the regular mail there is little chance I can get the CMP Garand before I go back to college. I was looking at the CAI Garand because it was built by an individual who seemed to care well for it. He even describes the process quite clearly.

Damn me for not following the path of firearm enlightenment. I'm not an expert (obviously) and ENJOY asking questions. It'd a say day when a person is scolded for trying to further EDUCATE themselves.

<rant mode off>

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I just sold my CAI M1 Garand on GB. It went for $450.00. It was not as nice as the one pictured. But it functioned flawlessly. Just ask Bigdaddy, Select-fire, Spiny, Dunadunn, 7mmnut, RLDowns3, BigT7mm, Classic095 and I am sure there were a few others.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robo -- Don't sweat it. No offense to Mark, but I understand the motivation to post the want ad. You never know. There are people out there who are not into guns, or paid $400 decades ago and will be content to sell quick at what they paid. Most dealers are delighted to take one from such a person at their asking price, so you might as well "fish" too. No doubt dealers fish for bargains all the time at estate sales and such. There's no reason for an individual collector to have different ethics.

You also might look around for a Norinco M1A. Here's another hot button. The usual suspects assume Norinco copies of M1As were junk, but a LOT of people swear they were about as good a gun as what Springfield makes, without the premium price. You certainly don't always get what you pay for at "market" value. You'll go broke shelling out full retail in this world. Patience (for the right deal) is a virtue.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member
    edited November -1
    offerer, that was some of my intent on the want ad post. I mean aside from a little bandwidth, what's it going to hurt? If no on responds to it (and I'm sure no one will) then no loss. If they do, then it's nothing but gain! [^]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I was too harsh Roboman and I am sorry. I will tell you what; I have an extra copy of Jim Thompson's book "The Complete M1 Garand, A Guide For The Collector and Shooter" just sitting here and going to waste. This is a very handy book for the new M1 owner with lots of good info without being too complicated or boring. When you receive your M1 from the CMP just send me a copy of the CMP certificate of authenticity (you can blank out the serial number of your rifle if you wish) in your own name (which you have told us here many times)and I will send you the book (a $20 value) free of charge.

Mark T. Christian
    edited November -1
    Don't worry about it Mark. I'm not exactly a popular guy here so I don't expect much pleasantries from the board. However I do like it here, it's a nice atmosphere [^].

I'll tell you what, when I get home from college I'll take pictures of myself with every gun I own and maybe a few of me shooting so you know I'm not just a huge facade.[8D]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    edited November -1
    Mark, I sent him an email. I don't shoot it very often but offered him my Winchester WWII 1944 Garand VERY reasonable. Just a very little more than the Century. It is rebuilt of course with SA parts but receiver is Winchester. It also has a Winchester sling. It is a nice garand. Lets see if he is interested.
    edited November -1
    Reply sent

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Selectfire: That sure is nice of ya... if'n Robo's not interested, oh well, ummm..... how bout dropping me an email????

NSDQ!

American_IR_Flag.jpgr6team.gifNS_Crest.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
    edited November -1
    It definitely is extremely nice of Select-Fire. I feel bad though. It seems as though my constant questioning and posting about Garands drove him to shutting me up. I feel really bad if that's the case [V]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    edited November -1
    Rory, Too late.. Offer is off the table. Difference between the two of us is that I recognize a BARGAIN when I see it. You didn't. Absolutely nothing wrong with my garand. Tools was with me when I purchased it and drooled all the way home. You only left me excuses on the reply. Typical the way you are answering here. You snoozed and lost out on a great garand for $675.00. And what is funny you requested no info or pics of my gun. It is not for sale. See Mark you were right ( again )
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    robo...I must have missed a couple of posts in this thread as I read it this morning(Sat). One of the posts must have been dropped. Getting back to your CMP issues..Just go to the CMP Club at which you shot and have one of the officers certify in writing that you did. It's that simple. You get in your car during the summer or during the next couple of weeks and you drive over to CMP North. Other than the first couple weeks in June after school is out I am more than free to drive over to Perry and help you select an outstanding rifle. Both of my $400 Rack Grades had TE's about 2 and muzzles of just over 2. Now think about what you can get for $500 in the Service Grade. Simple math says it doesn't cost $100 to travel from Penn to Perry and back even in a Hummer! You show your documentation and you go home with a beautiful Garand(after you have bought me lunch for my time and effort!). It really is that easy and you won't be shooting anything but the real thing that way. Oh yeah and don't be too impressed by all that Winchester hype. Lots of history involved with Winchester and they do bring a premium to collectors but as shooting Garands go they are pretty much on the bottom of the food chain in quality. Try for a Springfield if you are going to be shooting a lot. Heck I just thought don't by me lunch...drive an economy car and buy a Rack Grade and take a couple of cans of ammo home with you from there. Just let me know....and if you do you can answer anynaysayers with your response on the range. Beach
    edited November -1
    Pretty much at bottom of food chain for quality..LMAO. I beg to differ on the accuracy with MY Winchester.. still LMAO. It is amazing to me of the KNOWLEDGE on this board of Garands. Just the other day at the range a member had a beautiful brand new HOMEMADE Garand. New stock, Douglas barrel, ect. ect. ect. That damn gun wouldn't hit a 18"x18" target at 100yds. but 2 times in a 8 shot mag. I was tempted to come home and show this guy what my ol' Winchester would do.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Rory, Too late.. Offer is off the table. Difference between the two of us is that I recognize a BARGAIN when I see it. You didn't. Absolutely nothing wrong with my garand. Tools was with me when I purchased it and drooled all the way home. You only left me excuses on the reply. Typical the way you are answering here. You snoozed and lost out on a great garand for $675.00. And what is funny you requested no info or pics of my gun. It is not for sale. See Mark you were right ( again )

Sorry to hear that. I was merely telling the truth in my response, not making excuses. Not much else I can say I guess. Thanks for the offer anyway though.

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    edited November -1
    Robo, I was just wanting to see just how serious you were to purchase one. Obviously not serious enough. I really didn't wanna sell it but would have to you,for that price.This gun is worth way more than the offer. Wanna play poker sometime?
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boys... boys... boys...

Do we have to argue?

I admit to a boatload of ignorance on the subject of Garands. When I was younger I didn't think they were particularly cool, so I had no interest in them. Then one day I saw a "Tanker Model" in a gun store. I think these were made by welding up cut receivers and rechambering in .308. I think these are pretty much disdained by serious Garand lovers, but I thought it was neat and bought it. It worked fine but I sold it a couple years later for a nice profit.

Then I ordered one from the CMP. Submitted scores and all that. I think the price was $165 delivered. Took two years for the local PO to call and tell me my gun had arrived.

It looked unfired when I unpacked it. In was an Internaional Harvester and I think the barrel was stamped 44 but I don't know if that's a date. The only flaw was one big gouge in the forend. Looked like it had been dropped and hit the edge of a table, or something. Other than that one ding in the wood, the rifle looked brand new.

I never could load that thing smoothly. Always fumbled trying to close the bolt. But it was fun to shoot.

In 1985 my home was burglarized and along with most other things of value, all my guns were stolen. Except for this Garand. I do not know why, but the thieves left it behind for some reason. Faced with having no guns save this one, I decided to trade it for something more immediately useful, like a 1911.

Now, all this talk about Garands has got me wanting one, again. Of course, let's be honest, it doesn't take much to get me interested in a gun! Unfortunately, faced with my recent period of unemployment when no money was coming in but the bills continued arriving (I guess they didn't get the memo), and the fact that I am looking at four more years of graduate school tutition for my wife while my new job pays a bit less than the old one, I fear any gun buying is on hold until further notice.

Well, maybe someday. In the meantime, like Roboman, we can talk about Garands and do a little wishful thinking, no?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
    edited November -1
    Saxon, Wow a IH . I guess I could start posting about an AK-47 Select-fire, I would like to purchase.. This could go on for months.. And if anyone has one for ..say.. $3000.00 I would buy it... Seriously , I love guns also but rambling on about the same thing for months gets real old, real quick. I called his bluff and offered him a Garand that is well above what I ask. I will believe he owns a garand of his dreams when someone verifies it. Nuff said, I am going to a gun show. Maybe I can find another deal on a Colt. The safe holds a lot more pistols than long guns...
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But isn't that why were are here? To talk about guns we have, or WISHED we had? I don't mind a little daydreaming in print. Don't take it so seriously. It's just for fun.

If you find that AK see if the guy also has a 5" Model 1950, will ya?

PS: Is the IH Garand rare or valued? I know these were made by various makers but I don't know which are held in high esteem. Didn't H&R also make Garands? Winchester, I know. Who else?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Interestingly enough Frank I received my DCM M1 at nearly the same time as you did. My friend Keith and I both shot for record at the same match, applied for purchase at the same time, and 14 months later (17 for him) each of us received International Harvester M1 rifles...both like new! At this time IHC Garands were very hard to find on the resale market and this aquesition for the DCM was considered a real gem for me. Now of course I have dozens of M1s and it is just another rifle in the safe with its brother M1s.

IHC Garands are actually amoung the lowest quality of all four manufacturers but were produced in low numbers by a non-firearms firm in many slight variations so they are of interest to collectors like myself. There is a two year wait for any IHC from the CMP (as the old DCM is now known) and prices for CORRECT IHCs are $1300 and up (often way up). Winchesters still lead the pack as far as collectors are concerned and probably always will since the name Winchester just has the certain appeal. H&R rifles have quite a following with collectors and their rifles are interesting and well made (as you might expect from an old line firearms firm). The best made of all of the M1s are those post war rifles from Springfield Armory since by that time they had been producing the rifles for well over 15 years (none were produced between WWII and Korea, instead exisiting stores of war worn M1s were rebuilt) and these post was Springfields are my personal favorites. Want to double your money on your DCM IHC? Just send me an e-mail and my check will be on the way overnight express...and I am not a tire kicker! In fact I'll pay you $100 more than the $400 roboman was offering for the CMP M1 he was hoping to find for sale on the Want Ads Forum.

As far as roboman and his firearms dream are concerned; I suppose we have to keep in mind that he is just 19 years old. Way back when I was his age I imagine I spent a lot of time talking about all of the great guns I was going to own some day, but of course since I worked at a gun shop I was surrounded by guys all talking about nothing but guns (and women). Now I've got more guns than I need (although no where near as many as I want) so I've become a bit jaded about these things and roboman's wish list and never ending dreams of purchasing expensive firearms can some times wear a bit thin with me (and it seems more than a few others). To put things in perspective, when I was shopping for a new car back in 2002 it would have made no sense for me to be asking about Bentley's and Ferarri's because they were all out of my price range and it would have served no good purpose to even ask about these brands. Instead I concentrated my efforts and questions on cars I could ACTUALLY afford, then went down to the BMW dealer, ordered the car, handed them the $60,000, and flew to Munich three months later to pick up my new 540i. Driving the 540 is far better than dreaming about any Ferarri and owning even low cost guns is better than dreaming about expensive ones (although a CMP $500 Garand is not all that costly).

Mark T. Christian
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be something I missed here because this makes no sense to me.
    Roboman, only good thing I've found that Century makes that is good is those pretty Romanian AKs. The rest of their stuff is a luck of the draw.

Save up for that CMP.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
    edited November -1
    Selectfire please continue to laugh your butt off if you don't know any better. My M1D is a Winchester so I really don't have any thing against Winchester since that is my most valuable Garand. And as I said in my previous post they do have significant collector value, that doesn't mean that they were quality wise up to Springfield in quality...They weren't...that's all there is to it. So you have one that shoots well....great!!!...Rejoice in it but you might try to learn a little along the way... Mark had it right; Springfield made a whole lot more M1s than anybody else..along the way making those Garands they picked up on a few things that fined tuned an already superior rifle.
    I love what I call the Winchester idiots...they'll pay me money for a Winchester part to replace a Springfield part. With what they give for a Winchester part I can buy the same Springfield part and have money left over. Now if you are trying to build a collector piece fine...but don't delude yourself. There is nothing superior about a Winchester over a Springfield. Every one has an accurate Garand...everyone!!! But ask a real M1 armorer what rifles gave them the most trouble and you will get your answer. My source is Don McCoy the most renowned M1 armorer alive today. But any armorer older than 65 years old(i.e. he really had to work on M1s for a living) will confirm it. The Winchesters almost always had headspace problems and other issues....yours doesn't rejoice in it and consider yourself lucky.
    Most of us come here to improve our knowledge...sometimes our preconceived notions are shaken but we learn along the way. Instead of laughing you might try learning. Have a nice day! Beach
    edited November -1
    Beach, I am laughing at you not with you. I never stated anywhere that I am an expert in Garands. Reread the posts. Just wanted to give Roboman a deal on a very nice garand.. and then you started harpen all about Winchesters.. Man what an expert you are.. Oh and by the way I didn't and won't say my gun is superior to the next garand. From experience on my end... SOME guns shoot better than others of the same make.. Or maybe it is just the shooter.[^] Have a nice day !.. Oh the gunshow was a success. Got myself a nice .308 VT Ruger and a decent price. And yeah I come down on Robo a little hard.. Maybe his wants are more than his needs. Sorry Robo.
    edited November -1
    Selectfire...You don't have to tell me that you not an expert...Your ignorance and stupidity come through loud and clear to anyone who reads your prose. I've always felt I could learn a little something from anyone....even from people with whom I disagree. But you... I don't think there is anything intelligent that you could contribute to any conversation. Keep laughing laughing boy. Beach
    edited November -1
    Beachmaster, I am still laughing at YOU. YOU are the one who blurted out and put down my Winchester. Ypu were the one to fire the first shot. You were the one to start the namecallin'.So, Everyone on here knows the facts. I have met and spoke with quite a few GB in person.. Knowledgeable folk and your not one of em'
    edited November -1
    Did the mean little beachmaster put down the little selectfire's pretty winchester? Oh my what a mean beachmaster, just think little selectfire's pride and joy and beachmaster said such mean things about it...oh he must be so mean to hurt little selectfire so.

Grow some hair between your legs selectfire and try to reread the postings. My comments were not directed at your precious Winchester(which quite frankly isn't worth nearly as much as mine). It was a simple statement that the quality of Springfield M1's was generally superior to the other manufacturers specifically Winchester. You took umbrage with that observation and became emotional. Deal with it when someone starts defecating on you as a result. Beach
    edited November -1
    Select-fire, I don't really see how you were calling my bluff on anything. I send one email response to you and you immediately took it as making excuses and saying no thanks. I thought the reason I gave was a valid one but I guess not in your eyes.

I still don't understand why I can't just ask questions. I know I've talked about buying a Garand for months on end and have yet to do so. I didn't know it would piss so many people off. I thought this was a nice and relaxed board where one can ask about guns (even if its the same one over a long period of time). I guess I was wrong.

Sorry to those of you I pissed off. I was just looking for advice and answers to my questions.

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    edited November -1
    roboman....when the time is right you just go over to the CMP and pick up your M1. If I have time I'll go over there and help you out...and even if you want a (god forbid)Winchester!!!Beach
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a gun board? Don[}:)][:D][}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    Beach, Take your Prozac and relax.. Is your blood pressure down yet? Maybe reach in your pocket and get out you hankie and wipe the sweat off your forehead. Damn.. I am deeply sorry your emotions get riled easily..

Robo.. Keep asking questions.. They are interesting. And it was a bluff, I am glad you didn't do it would have actually cost me some money. Like I stated before I wanted to see how serious you were wanting to purchase a garand. Save your money and get what you want.By the time you have enough you may want another type of firearm.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My wife "suprised" me three years ago with a Century Garand for my birthday. I have put several hundred rounds through it since and it functions and shoots pretty well. I haven't had the heart to get rid of it since it was a gift from "the princess". Over-all I can't complain about it. I know next to nothing about Garands so I have nothing to compare mine to, and I kind of like it now.

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is quite possibly the most entertaining/worthless thread I have ever read. Now if someone was calling someone elses wife a name or bagging on someones kids I could understand the hostility, but someone says something about a certain Garand and all hell breaks loose. Funny stuff. Well my Glock 23 is better looking than your Glock 23[:o)]
    edited November -1
    mkirkland there are many more more worthless threads than this one. This doesn't even rank in the bottom 100. Now about that Glock 23...it can only be described as an ugly mulatto with which no decent self respecting Colt or Ruger would ever be caught associating. I actually saw a Glock shooter out at my range a few days ago, but he had a bag over his head so we couldn't identify him

Just remember friends don't let friends shoot glocks!!:)Beach
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been my feeling for years now that gun people can be like religious zealots -- you often can't tell 'em anything, because they believe what they believe, chapter and verse, on this maker/gun and that maker/gun. One clue to these folks is, they are particularly fond of the word 'junk,' usually uttered without any accompanying explanation. I have navigated many a gun show quite successfully by keeping this "religion angle" in mind.

I doubt robo couldn't recognize a bargain. I know select's gun is a good deal at that price -- but I don't have $675 for his gun (if offered) any more than I had $750 for the M14 advertised in our Peddler's Post here two weeks ago. It killed me, because I got the paper fresh off the delivery truck and I could have gone straight up there to see the man, but there it was -- an M14 (one assumes an M1A) for $750 asking price. Now it MAY have been a Norinco, of course, but I couldn't even afford to make the phone call in good faith. I know I may have missed a bargain because it was over my limit.

I never liked a dealer who was impatient with window shoppers. The guy whose attitude is, "if you didn't bring cash I'll snub or insult you until you leave" is to be avoided at all costs. As far as I can tell, it is a kind of cynicism that sadly develops among a few dealers over the years. I understand how that might happen, but it is still self-destructive and not to be encouraged by buying something from such a dude. When I get the cash, I definitely remember the rude and arrogant ones, and they don't see me shopping then either. I swear there is one dealer around here who is ticked off by every gun you own that he didn't sell you. But if a dealer treats you badly because he thinks you never buy, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy -- where he is concerned.

I would just tend to agree with Saxon. Selling outside the auctions isn't allowed here anyhow, in any formal way, so talk is what we came for, and guns is what we have in common.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Selectfire: Does this mean I'm not getting your Garand? [:D]

NSDQ!

American_IR_Flag.jpgr6team.gifNS_Crest.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is robodude? Don[?][?][?]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    He could be:

Out on a date...

Buying several new rifles...

Applying for the FBI accademy...

Purchasing his new Ducati motorcycle...

Working on his hockey skills (this one I would beleive)...

Phoning his mom and making her search his room at home for his CMP M1 Garand paperwork. Just imagine what else she might find in his room!!

Mark T. Christian