In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Not a single kid this halloween

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in General Discussion
I didn't have anyone come to my door at all this year. I live in a neighborhood, that's a little out of the way but I would have thought at least a few kids would have worked there way over here, I'm not in the middle of nowhere or anything. Did you have people show up at your house?

R/

Dave
th_bigclay.bmp
How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller

Comments

• robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    No kids here either. Of course I live in the ghetto... [:(][xx(][V]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Visit
    http://www.cafepress.com/RightToBearArms for great Second Amendment Merchandise!
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I live 16 miles out in the country 1 mile off the highway with no yard light. No kids just a few coyotes

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I live on the edge of a very small town of 500. It has been raining here since about noon, but we did have several little ghosts and goblins show up. Probably 20 or so.

Just call me "Griffin"

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Its after 8 PM here and I've had a total of two, although they were both sweet little girls and each was dressed like a princess. I picked this place to live because it was as far as I could get from the nearest school, park, public pool or any other place kids might be found, but there are children in the neighborhood who could have stopped by.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here. Not one kid, and I live in town.

sg_550_neu_gr.jpg

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the same as I get every year......none.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We got several hundred I would gues, my mom wasnt there the whole time so I doubt the usual count was done.

My parents also run a daycare so of course about 20 of our daycare kids stopped by.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    At 9 PM the porch light goes out and I'll just leave the bag of candy hanging on the door knob and anyone who shows up after that can help themselves. I remember my first year here (12 years ago) I was swarmed by kids and the candy ran out in the first thrity minutes. Pretty soon I was handing out cans of soda, lunch box sized bags of Doritos, dimes, just about anything I could scrape together. For the following year I packed in about 10 pounds of candy and no one even showed up. Its almost 9 now and it looks like two kids is all I'll be seeing this evening.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Had three small groups of 3 or 4 each. Looks like I have to eat 50,000 candy bars myself.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was at a friends house in Windham,Maine tonight they had by actual count 245 kids.What a gang.[:D] [8D] [^] [:)] [:p]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  ATF,Eagle Guns
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had over 150 as usual. We live in a newer subdivision so our area has a large turnout. My wife has been a school teacher for many years so most of her students from the last several years all come by....

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    We live in a tiny little community about 3 miles south of delta.
    We had no kids except the grandkids. The neighborhood kids went to the bigger towns where they could get lotsa loot. They only have from 6:00 to 7:30 to gather the goods.

The candy we had to give out went to the grandkids.

Delta.gif
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    We used to get hundreds, recent years it kept getting smaller.

Last night we only had 4 or 5 small groups, mostly neighbors.

Mammahooter and I talked about it and we think its because the kids today have so many other distractions like cells, games, computers, instant messaging, music of all sorts, MTV, Brittiny, etc., that trick or treating is becoming a thing of the past.

I also notice this trend in the local ball parks. Unless there is a school game, the fields are empty. Heck, we played in them all the time.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    None showed up here, altho a couple of oldtimers with their walkers were trying to make a run. [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

BUSH AND CHENEY--NO MORE YEARS!
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Anywhere from 250 to 300 here.All within maybe 2 hours.Same way every year.

Can't complain though.Kids in my neighborhood when I was a boy Halloweened 2 evenings.We received maybe 15 Lbs. of candy each.Could fill a Pillow Case clean full.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was talking with the wife about this very thing. Here in NY it seems that since 9/11/01 there have been declining numbers of children trick or treating in our neigborhood. Before then I've had to go out on candy runs to the local grocery store after running out by 7:00pm. In many areas I think the trust in people that makes Halloween so successful has slowly eroded and many parents would rather not take a chance.

In related news the #1 liberal in the Senate John Kerry has blamed President George Bush for the dwindling numbers of Halloween revelers.

GEORGE WASHINGTON (First President)
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." (Address to 1st session of Congress)
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]Same here in N. Calif. fewer kids each year- we had two last night. I think Moms are too worried about the contaminated candy thats been in the news[:D][:D][:D][:D]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Mark,I will come trick or treating all the way acrooss the Country if you will scrounge up a Garand to give out.[:D]

My wife had quite a few considering alot of people dont know we put the dogs up.But she left the gate open and put a sign over the other one saying dogs were shut up,so we had our regulars and some she didnt even know.I gave out several plastic badges and Mcgruff coloring books and tootsie pops when I was sitting stationary the children come right up to the car,and thats good because alot of them are afraid of us due to parents telling their children to put their seat belt on or get in your seat or that police man will take you to jail.I hate it when parents do things like that.Ive had them to bring them up to my car and they were crying their eyes out and scared to death because mom wants me to tell little Billy he has to wear his seat belt.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had 133. Thought for sure we were going to run out of candy. Not much left for me to fatten up on for the winter.

2-barrel
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had latino gangs literally circling the block looking for trouble. I was out with neighbor's wife doing a community watch in the back alley way. My back yard is right off of the down town and it looked to me like a riot, punks running around shooting paintball guns. Two cop cars were zipping up and down our alley chasing gang members.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in the boonies. We usually get between 8 and 11. This year we had 11.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.