In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Norwegian Police Recover Munch's "The Scream"

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
Thu Aug 31, 11:51 AM ET

OSLO (Reuters) - Norwegian police recovered "The Scream" and another stolen masterpiece by Edvard Munch on Thursday, two years after the works were seized from a museum by gunmen.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We are 100 percent certain they are the originals," police chief Iver Stensrud told a news conference. "The damage was much less than feared."

"The Scream" depicts a terrified figure under a blood-red sky. The other, "Madonna," shows a bare-breasted woman with long black hair.

Two armed men broke into the Munch Museum in Oslo in August 2004 and yanked the two works from the walls in front of dozens of terrified tourists.

The paintings, both from 1893, have been missing even though three men were convicted in May of taking part in the theft and were sentenced to up to eight years in jail. Two of them were ordered to pay $122 million in damages.

Comments

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 years in a Norweigian prison, is that anything like a Swedish Prison. I hear they can some of the most civilized prisons in the world.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Didnt a police officer loose his life during the heist? and they only got 8 years? Mobilephotos058.jpg
  • Happy GuyHappy Guy Member Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i heard the two guys were ordered to pay $120 million in restitution, lol
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the sentences...

I mean - it was only a painting..

Ok, too bad about the policeofficer - I'm glad they're caught.

A lifesentence in Denmark, is 16 years - then you're pardoned.
    Unless it's one or more policeofficers - but generally, a lifesentence is 16 years.

What I don't get is...

In the us.. you can get something silly.. like...
    875 years in prison, with parole after 410 years..

I don't know about the schools, but we know overhere, that a life-expectancy is about 78 and down to 70 years..
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, they should have *paid* them to haul that trash away. Looks like something an 8 year old did with fingerpaint. If that's "art," then rosie macdonald is a "hottie."
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Iconoclast
    Hell, they should have *paid* them to haul that trash away. Looks like something an 8 year old did with fingerpaint. If that's "art," then rosie macdonald is a "hottie."

Art!
    suri_cruise.jpg