In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bank accounts

glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
My father in law passed away a while back and we have just about got the estate in order.The only thing is my wife seems to think he had several bank accounts with different banks we could only find paperwork on one.Is there any way to find out if a deceased member of you familly had accounts in other banks is there some sort of registry that could be contacted.
Thanks for any information anyone can give us.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Might try searching past tax records. If there were taxable interest it would be listed there.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Tax records or pull his credit report. His credit report should list every open account he has.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    Tax records or pull his credit report. His credit report should list every open account he has.

My bank accounts are not listed on my credit report. I just got copies of my report recently...
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    it may take a while ,but all statements whether internet or book accounts ,shall drop through the post monthly & 1/4 yearly..
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    When my grandfather died, he had 3 accounts that the family did not know about.
    After about 5years, my sister his executor, recived letters from the banks. Stating that he accounts would be given to the state within 30 days if they were not claimed.
    This was back in the early 60's.
    None of his tax records showed any intrest 1099's on the accounts.
    He also had a safety deposit box with US saving bonds, that were also unknown to the family.

Lots of luck.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    You could try calling or writing the banks in the area or that you think he might have used. Let us know how it turns out in case we have to try it.