In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting cloths

22hunter22hunter Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in General Discussion
First time hunter this season. I will be hunting squirrels in upstate N.Y. I saw a great pair of orange camo coveralls on ebay that I want to grap but was told to wear hunter green camo for best results. True? THANKS!!!!!!!!

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends if the state requires you wear orange as some do during hunting season. Better safe than sorry or dead.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what the law on squirrels is in NY, nor do I know if squirrels are color blind- but I do know that the squirrels that I;ve hunted have been much more focused on movement and noise than anyhting else. My guess is that you could wear orange in a camo pattern and as long as you were motionless and not backlit or profiled, you should be alright.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loin cloths are a bare minimum.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    ... nor do I know if squirrels are color blind-
    dont know for sure if they are colorblind or not, but the one we had for a while knew the difference between my blue coffee cup and the wifes green one, both about the same darkness...
    up on the table and head straight for mine, the one with coffee, she didnt like the wifes tea.
    weather she could differentiate the odor that quickly i dont know, or if she could tell the difference in color, but even if they were pretty close together she always went right to the one she wanted!
  • chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can see colors. If you need to wear orange don't wear it on your arms or legs. Thats like walking in the woods waving a big flag.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Squirrels don't care what you wear. When I was a kid I hunted squirrels in the same clothes I wore to school. I've had squirrels get in the same tree with me while I was deer hunting in blaze orange coveralls. If you are hunting by yourself and without a dog, just find a likely looking spot and make a noise like an acorn. If there are squirrels there you'll get some. Clothes don't matter at all for squirrel hunting.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    While turkey hunting this past Spring, I was sitting up against a tree and had more than one squirrel use my legs as a springboard.

Of course, I wasn't in orange... but it was really cool.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most first time hunters get lost in the woods or shoot themselves by accident. Wear something bright orange so that the rescuers will be able to spot your body more easily.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Squirrels don't care what you wear. When I was a kid I hunted squirrels in the same clothes I wore to school. I've had squirrels get in the same tree with me while I was deer hunting in blaze orange coveralls. If you are hunting by yourself and without a dog, just find a likely looking spot and make a noise like an acorn. If there are squirrels there you'll get some. Clothes don't matter at all for squirrel hunting.

same here, I have never wore camo for squirel hunting and never had a problem bringing something home.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are hunting Squirrels, just hold a Peanut in one hand and a Hammer in the other. [:D] [:D] [8D]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most new hunters are not successful on their first year out. Might as well stay home your first season and wait for next season.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    If you are hunting Squirrels, just hold a Peanut in one hand and a Hammer in the other. [:D] [:D] [8D]

OR, climb a tree, sit on a branch, and act like a nut!!!!!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What JamesRK said. Orange camo is a waste of money unless you are making a fashion statement.
  • mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy yourself some BDU's and get an orange vest and hat at walmart.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1
    on that
    you are not going to be on a milan fashion runway