In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Charcoal or Propane?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Seriously who really prefers the flavor of meat cooked over propane? Man you could grill a leather shoe on Charcoal and I'd eat it..... Bless Hank Hill.

Comments

• Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    charcoal, not even close
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wood charcoal is the best

a couple of racks of ribs go on the smoker saturday, should be a good time
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charcoal by far, and toss in some hickory or mesquite chips.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Nothing like Oak charcoal with some damp hickory or pecan chips mixed in.
  • clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Propane is popular only because of it's simplicity and convenience. But for the taste buds, there's no comparison.
  • skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotta go with charcoal! love the smell, and the food taste better
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you soak your lava rocks from a propane BBQ(er), in a water and liquid smoke solution, then let it dry. (you need to do it about every 20th time) propane BBQ(ing) tastes as good as wood charcoal BBQ(ing)
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wood pellet grill made by Traeger. You get the wood smoke and flavor on the easiest to cook on grill ever. The pellets burn in a firepot and a fan circulates the heat. No flare ups, no turning the meat and the juices run out of what ever you have cooked. I was so hooked after seeing the first one I became a dealer.

Jim
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Charwood,not charcoal.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I have one of each actually. And the smoker takes charcoal/charwood as well, so I guess that is 2-1. Use the propane for "gee, grill this chicken up quick" and emergency cooking after hurricane and no power (probably will never be an issue again since I have a generator now... didn't even need it during Fay...). Use the char burner when we *plan* to grill/smoke/etc.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite grill was natural gas with lava rocks ... It took about 20-30 times before the lava was seasoned and I kept a few mesquite chips soaking most all the time.

No matter how windy, or cold (even in the dead of winter) I could put a potato and veggie in the micro for 5 minutes, step out the back door, turn on the grill for 5 minutes, crack open a beer, then throw down a strip or porterhouse, reset the micro for another 5, flip the meat and eat ...

... all in under 15 minutes.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    propane quick. charcoal good.
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a big green egg grill and lump charcoil w/ a mix of apple and cherry wood.Slow cook a boston butt for about 12-15 hrs. It just does'nt get much better.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Propane is for "the easy way out" folks and the flavour of the food pays the price.

...REAL wood charcoal or just real wood. I do cheat sometimes w/the smoker and start my hickory (my favorite) or pecan wood w/charcoal. LOW & SLOW using real wood is the only way for real BBQ...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both. I prefer the charcoal, but the LP one gets used on the days when it's too crappy to stand outside and enjoy the cooking out experience.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 button pushed and I am cooking in 5 minutes.... My gas grill is seasoned with 4 years of droppings so it smokes every time I start it up....
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sigarmsp226
    1 button pushed and I am cooking in 5 minutes.... My gas grill is seasoned with 4 years of droppings so it smokes every time I start it up....

It might smoke, but its not a good smoke. The drippings you get from food, when they are burnt, put off an acidic smoke. This can and will give a bitter taste to whatever your cooking.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Natural Gas doesn't run out and no bottles to take back,
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Strickland Propane; taste the meat not the heat."
  • B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    charcaol...gas....charcaol...gas...charcaol...I guess my taste buds are that sensitive cause I never noticed such a difference, that it would make me so prefer one way over the other.
    And since I'm such a simple pimple, I just use gas. And I do love to grill.