In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger...

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
I was browsing one of the local sporting goods stores and noticed something about Ruger products. How long have they been putting this on their packages for factory 10/22 and 22/45 mags? "Arms Maker For the Responsible Citizen." I really like Ruger products because they fit my needs and wants well and was willing to let go of what was said in the past. Obviously, that isn't the past though.[xx(] Think I am done with Ruger products and their anti butt-kissing ways. I will keep the ones I have because of their meaning, but no new ones.

Jon

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    March 30, 1989:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives."

Doug
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the mags, but that has been on their gun boxes for a long time.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    and the problem is? theres a store here in ct called hoffmans. their motto is "guns for the good guys" whats offensive about that?
    edited November -1
    I don't know, maybe I am reading too far into the message. The past comments of Bill Ruger kind of pop in my head as well. Just makes it sound like they are sucking up to the anti's and trying to degrade the other manufacturer's as low-life scum who sell their products to criminals. Probably doesn't help that they won't make and sell their 22's with larger mags and didn't with there Mini's until the NRA Edition.

Jon
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I think it's a good motto and says gun owners are responsible people. Would you like it better if it said "Arms Maker for the Irresponsible Citizen?"
    edited November -1
    quote:I think it's a good motto and says gun owners are responsible people. Would you like it better if it said "Arms Maker for the Irresponsible Citizen?"

No, I obviously wouldn't want it to say that.

Like I said, maybe I am reading to far into it. We as gun owners already know we are responsible people. Let's say that the motto does grab the attention of an anti-gunner. What is he going to think now? Maybe it won't affect him, but let's say it does. Now is he going to think that other manufacturer's like Savage, or Remington as examples aren't "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens?" Just seems like Ruger is throwing there fellow people(2nd supporter's) to the sharks IMO. I realize that they have to compete against these other manufactures, but they also have to work together. They have to have a Symbiotic relationship.

Jon
  • edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it would be better if they said "guns for psycho, serial killers and bank robbers".
    "Personally endorsed by Ted Bundy".
    Sorry maybe I got carried away..[:(][:(][:(]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I seen that a while back and decided I wouldn't buy any more of their crap. Just a little too touchy feely PC for this ol mountain man.[xx(]
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    People read the Boxes????[:o)]
  • groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you be talkin bout RUGER
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard some democrats work there.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    So Ruger is nopw deciding who responsible citizens are, eh ?

Obviously, they only sell to government vetted people...NICs checks..so you obviously ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE if you refuse to buy from a government dealer...ehhh ?

Puts me in mind of the selectfires of the world ;
    If you refuse to give 20 thousand dollars for a 800 dollar weapon, and refuse to allow jack-booted thugs to look under your bed...you are a thief and a criminal and live in an alley behind the dumpster to boot.
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill Ruger was a fud, as are the current senior managers at Ruger.
  • woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, Bill is dead and the mini-14 IS on the new ban list.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I think it's a good motto and says gun owners are responsible people. Would you like it better if it said "Arms Maker for the Irresponsible Citizen?"

I think "Arms Maker for the Drunken Hillbilly" would've been fun. Hell, I'd buy a few just to have that on the box!

I've had a total of four Rugers and loved them all. Currently, I just have three. I'll always regret selling the Security Six.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    What's wrong with "Arms Maker for the Responsible Citizen"?

Would you prefer:

"Keepin' It Real fo' Da Homies, Yo"?

"Arms Maker for Killers, Rapists, and Felons"?

"Guns for People with Anger Management Problems"?

"Supplier of Quality Arms to Anarchists and Terrorists"?

Geez... grow a pair, quit being so damned touchy, and get over it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you do not want to buy Rugers then you are not a responsible citizen correct?

Sage 1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    If you do not want to buy Rugers then you are not a responsible citizen correct?

Sage 1

Are you even being half serious?
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have refused to buy new rugers since the old man's letter.

Doug
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I have refused to buy new rugers since the old man's letter.

Doug

You're not missing much...My old Rugers are much better than my newer Rugers IMHO.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +++++ElMuertoMonkey,
    There's a lot of things that get me steamed. That ain't one of 'em.
    When the day comes that so many people are making what I want, at prices I can afford, then maybe I'll start crossing folks off my "preferred" list for such trivial "infractions". Not holding my breath, though.
    Personally I have a hard time imagining a world without the Single Six,Blackhawks, 77's, No. 1's, 10-22, Standard Auto, etc. etc.
  • groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL SAID RCROSBY AND FELLOW MONKEY. MY RUGERS ROCK AND IF YOU OTHER GUYS DON'T WANT YOURS, SELL EM TO ME, CHEAP
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Whatever his faults, Bill Ruger is dead and the company now has no relatives of his working there.

The Ruger company continues to make 3 of the best, most popular, well made and affordable "assault rifles" that you can find. The 10/22, mini 14 and mini 30. The new Ruger company is now selling hi-cap mags directly to the public. Ruger also makes some of the mose inexpensive but well made pocket guns like the LCP .380. All in all I would say that regardless of what kind of marketing slogan Ruger choses to publish, from the products Ruger makes that I just described, the company will never be friends with the anti-gun crowd.

That should mean that the pro-gun crowd should like the company. But I learned long ago that way too many gun people just like to find fault, gripe for little or no reason and complain. Funny thing is that instead of wasting time griping, those gripers could be cleaning their guns or even out shooting.
  • ZealotZealot Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems the OP is reading far too much into this. It's just a motto, and given the alternatives, it could be a lot worse.
    edited November -1
    I don't care much for their all CAST receivers, either - with prices like they are forgings.

Doug
    edited November -1
    I would venture to say Ruger sells more firearms in America than any other manufacturer.
    edited November -1
    If quantity/volume equals "good" to you, I venture that you spend a lot of time at Wal-Mart.[:)]

Doug
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no loyality to any particular firearms manufacture but have ended up with more Rugers that fill my wants and needs than any other brand.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    If quantity/volume equals "good" to you, I venture that you spend a lot of time at Wal-Mart.[:)]

Doug

What I meant was, they must be doing somthing right to log the sales that they do, year after year.
    I only own a few Rugers and they have been very good firearms.
    edited November -1
    Not arguing against Ruger products at all guys. Matter of fact, you read through my previous posts and I really praise them. My first rifle bought for me for deer hunting was a Ruger 77 Ultralight, my first pistol I ever bought was a 22/45 and I also own a Ruger 77 Sporter .270 and a Ruger 10/22. Three of those(the Ultralight, 22/45, and 10/22 are going with me to the grave and or being passed down) and they are probably the guns I have put the most rounds through so far.

I still don't like the slogan though.[;)]

Jon