In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.327 Federal magnum

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Has anyone else read the latest article in American Rifleman about the new .327 Federal Magnum? I thought it was an interesting article and good read. So if they can use 6 rounds of .327 in place of 5 rounds of .38 Special, does that mean some of these Taurus revolvers that carry 7 or 8 rounds of .357 Magnum could now in theory fit 9 or 10 rounds of .327 Federal Mag? It'll be interesting to see how far manufacturers will take the idea.

I also found it interesting that the .327 Fed Mag could fit and be fired form any .357 Magnum chamber. Is that really true? It seems the round would be too narrow....

Comments

• MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a new .327 federal magnum revolver. Where can I find reloading dies for this load? This will also chamber .32S&W long, and .32 H&R magnum. Would these be the same dies?
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this might help

Handloading for the new .327 Federal Magnum presented a slight challenge, as there is yet no load data available. I used a set of Lee carbide .32 H&R loading dies, and crimped separately from the seating operation. The dies worked perfectly for all bullet weights tried, and all loading was done on a Dillon 550B machine. I based my powder choices upon what I have learned from loading the .32 H&R Magnum to higher than factory pressures, taking advantage of the .327's greater case capacity. My powders of choice were H110, Lil'Gun, Accurate Arms Number 9, H4227, Accurate 1680, and Winchester 571. I found H110, AA # 9, and to a limited extent Lil'Gun to work best in this particular revolver. With H4227 and AA1680, I could not achieve velocities equal to the factory load with a 100 grain bullet, so I gave up on those. I tried no light target loads in the .327, as we have the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum for target and mid-range loads, respectively. The .327 Federal Magnum is a true magnum, and that is the area in which I concentrated my efforts. Using Winchester 571 was a mistake. It is an excellent powder, but not at all suited for my purposes here. I screwed up, and found out that the Ruger SP101 is even a lot stronger than I had previously believed. Brass flows at 75,000 psi, and I exceeded that. I would have badly wrecked a lesser gun. The best powders for the .327 Federal Magnum proved to be H110 and AA # 9 for most all bullet weights, with Lil'Gun performing very well with the heavier bullets. I tested many different combinations using 60, 85, and 100 grain Hornady XTP hollowpoints, 113 grain cast lead gas check bullets from Cast Performance, 120 grain cast lead gas check bullets from Mt. Baldy Bullet Company, and a 135 grain cast lead bullet that was hand-cast by my friend John Killebrew. John designed this bullet with the help of Jimmy Pilcher, and it is a dandy bullet for loading the .32 H&R, .32-20, and now the .327 Federal Magnum cartridges. I was able to safely achieve velocities equaling the 100 grain factory load using AA # 9 and H110. AA # 9 also proved to be the powder of choice for the 60 and 85 grain XTP hollowpoint bullets. The little 60 grain XTP screamed out of the little Ruger at over 1740 fps. Moving to the lead bullets, AA # 9, H110, and Lil'Gun did very well. One thing that I really like about lead bullets is that they give greater velocity, as compared to jacketed bullets, with equal pressures. In the Ruger SP101, with its long cylinder, I was able to seat the 135 grain Killebrew bullets out longer than usual, crimping in the top lube groove instead of the crimp groove, taking advantage of the case capacity of the .327 Federal Magnum. I was able to push the 135 grain cast lead bullet to over 1250 fps with Lil'Gun. I achieved significantly higher velocities than that, but extraction became a bit sticky over 1300 fps, so I backed off. I used CCI magnum small pistol primers in all loads tested, but I am deliberately not listing powder charges, as none of this data has been pressure tested. By the time guns and ammunition hit the dealer's shelves by January 2008, pressure tested load data from reputable sources should be available. I will add that handloaders can safely reach factory velocities with jacketed bullets, and exceed them with lead bullets. Later, I will get into another article dealing with handloading the .327 Federal Magnum for hunting, but as for right now, the Ruger SP101 is a dandy little defensive revolver, but its barrel length precludes it from being a legal hunting arm in most states.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW! A real cornucopia of information, and I greatly appreciate every word. I looked at the Ruger SP101, but went with the new Taurus .327 Fed mag instead. Any idea how these stack up against the Ruger?
    Thanks again
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The February 2009 issue of "Handloader ammunition reloading journal" has an extensive article on reloading the .327mag. On store selves now. I've got one, its a good one if you're into reloading the .327mag cartridge. They used RCBS .32S&W/.32H&R magnum dies.
    edited November -1
    Mgderf, email me your address and I will make copies of the article and mail it to you. Lots of bullet types and powder combos
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been wishing someone would make this in a rifle like the daly little sharps or uberti baby rolling block.....thanks for info
    edited November -1
    Mgderf, I got your email, I will get the article out to you on Monday...very good info in it.
    edited November -1
    Mgderf, I put the article in the mail today..lots of great info and loads. reloader44mag
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hodgdon 2009 reloading annual has a write up on it with recipes.

For dies, check out Lee.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

For dies, check out Lee.
    I sent the loads from that one too, the Handloader mag article is much more detailed with 3 times as many powder and bullet combos.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    been wishing someone would make this in a rifle like the daly little sharps or uberti baby rolling block.....thanks for info

+1, I'd like to see a marlin lever gun in that caliber, one thats scaled down for it, and one that has a 44weight ballard barrel with full length mag tubes..
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

For dies, check out Lee.
    I sent the loads from that one too, the Handloader mag article is much more detailed with 3 times as many powder and bullet combos.

reloadersnest.com or similar sites should have some data worked up by now, as should hodgdon's and alliant's sites, which are updated regularly (at least hodgdon's is.)