In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hi-Point 9mm 995 carbine

kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
My son just bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine at a gun auction near home today. Anyone own one of these? Are they any good? He just wants it for plinking. Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one when they first came out, its the loaded model. It has the muzzle break, laser, scope spare Mag holders. I still cant believe how reliable and well they shoot. Ive heard others say the same thing. Enjoy your new toy and safe shooting.

Best!!
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    ive had one for a few years now. cant say its the best looking gun ive ever seen but its always functioned flawlessly,pretty darn accurate, and just a good time to shoot.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one several years ago on the recommendation of a cop. He said all the cruisers in his department had them. I have shot probably 3-400 rounds of all types of ammo, and I have never had any problems with it at all. I've been trying to find a .40 caliber, but they are pretty scarce around here for some reason. Enjoy it, it will be fun to shoot. [:)]
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive sold 100's of them and agree totally with comments here .. Not pretty but boy d othey work well and shoot the lights out .. Have fun.. I had 5 40's all of last year . .tough to come by ..
    edited November -1
    i wouldnt mind getting a 40. neer seen one of them though.
  • JohnharleyJohnharley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the 40 cal models. It is ugly but trusty. I put a $40 Wal Mart red dot sight on it and I can shoot tin cans out to 100 yards pretty well. It is really reliable. My nephew has the 9mm with the aftermarket ATI stocks that looks like one of the Beretta carbines. It loosk good and shoots good. I spoke to ATI and they said they are not planning to make changes to the stock to let the 40 cal guys use them. Please call ATI and request the stock for the 40.
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard a rumor it was coming out in .45.I ahve a 9mm that's dead on the money for a cheap gun.My shooting buddy calls it the "PLANET OF THE APES" gun.
    edited November -1
    my borther and i took turns chasing empty beer and soda cans across the yard a few times. was surprised how accurate those things are.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one three years ago. I've put over 1K rounds through it and have have enjoyed every one. Accurate (within .5 inches at 75feet) and reliable. Minimal cleaning regimin required so far. Great Gun and fun to shoot. I'd like to get a few more, but the prices have been artificially hefted as of late...
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    I bought one three years ago. I've put over 1K rounds through it and have have enjoyed every one. Accurate (within .5 inches at 75feet) and reliable. Minimal cleaning regimin required so far. Great Gun and fun to shoot. I'd like to get a few more, but the prices have been artificially hefted as of late...
    Seems like ALL semiautos have jumped in price by about 15-20%.[:(]
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I should've bought one two years ago when I wanted to.

Gun-snob friends of mine talked me out of it.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder why Hi Point doesn't offer hi cap(20 or 30)round magazines for this weapon.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Solid as a cinder block and just as cuddly! Bernalillo County Sheriffs use them as issued, and they work every time. Best home-defense carbine out there for the money!
    Don't know why you'd need more than 10 rounds unless you don't have $15 for another mag. Why try to make it something it's not?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    I wonder why Hi Point doesn't offer hi cap(20 or 30)round magazines for this weapon.

i sent them an email about that a few years ago . they said something to the effect of with the cost of having to design a new mag and the uncertain future in firearms sales they didnt feel making hicap mags was a worthwhile adventure. i have seen 15rd aftermarket mags though.
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    I bought one several years ago on the recommendation of a cop. He said all the cruisers in his department had them. I have shot probably 3-400 rounds of all types of ammo, and I have never had any problems with it at all. I've been trying to find a .40 caliber, but they are pretty scarce around here for some reason. Enjoy it, it will be fun to shoot. [:)]

123548597 Hi-Point Model 4095 .40 S&W Carbine
  • bustinstainlessbustinstainless Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have had one for years very accurate and reliable