In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recoil Buffer in an AK

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Did a little pictoral to help anyone out. Comments?

http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1290747/1

Comments

• bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Why would you pay $20 for a recoil buffer?
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Your link is bad. It tried to register me for some forum. I thought you linked us to a little pictorial?
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    link dont work
    Auction # 124011406
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I've heard a recoil buffer has actually caused some AK's to jam up. If I can jam mud in there and it is fine, I am not gonna put a buffer on there if there are some out there who say it can mess with the dependability.
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run buffers so the action takes a little less of a beating. Being the buffers restrict bolt or slide travel, you have to make sure the action cycles properly and if it doesn't, don't run it with a buffer.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Mikhail Kalashnikov thought his rifle needed a buffer, he would've installed one in it, originally.
    edited November -1
    Mine run well with or without the buffer, so I do use a buffer in mine in the hopes it will possibly prolong the life of the receiver and bolt carrier by reducing the recoil impact within.

However, the article says $20 a couple times, when these are easily found for under $10 on the net and at shows.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    Your link is bad. It tried to register me for some forum. I thought you linked us to a little pictorial?

It worked for me, but linked to the second page. Just scroll down, and click for page 1 instead of page 2 of the thread.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Sorry, been away a while. A recoil buffer keeps the bolt carrier from slamming into the receiver. If you also note, it says "under" $20.00. Last I checked, $10.00 is under $20.00.
    I fixed the link. Sorry, my bad.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the only thing which can cause an AK to jam, is a recoil buffer.

Bad jujubes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    About the only thing which can cause an AK to jam, is a recoil buffer.

Bad jujubes.

I'll be darned. Guess I have been lucky the last 25,000 rounds. Better remove it quick. [:D]
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

I'll be darned. Guess I have been lucky the last 25,000 rounds. Better remove it quick. [:D]

I wish I could afford to shoot that much. How many buffers have you gone through?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

I wish I could afford to shoot that much. How many buffers have you gone through?

Same one. I noticed it has a crack in it, but it still is functioning. It does take away that characteristic "Thwap" sound that the AK is famous for.

I do reload a lot. And I mean A LOT.
    edited November -1

Same one. I noticed it has a crack in it, but it still is functioning. It does take away that characteristic "Thwap" sound that the AK is famous for.

I find that interesting since most of the makers state their buffer are only good up to about 2,000 rounds.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at www.defendingusa.com.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of "www.mozilla.org")
    * Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
    edited November -1

I find that interesting since most of the makers state their buffer are only good up to about 2,000 rounds.

Maybe a fluke, but it has lasted about 10x that. Guess I should change it out someday. I just have the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    edited November -1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe a fluke, but it has lasted about 10x that. Guess I should change it out someday. I just have the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well then did you just contradict yourself? I am very confused. The AK has been around for over 50 years and now all of a sudden it needs a buffer? Didnt you just say "I just have the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    th_4.jpg

My favorite picture.
    edited November -1
    Ya'll get off him. He's new.
    edited November -1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well then did you just contradict yourself? I am very confused. The AK has been around for over 50 years and now all of a sudden it needs a buffer? Didnt you just say "I just have the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Well, if I can keep the bolt carrier from slamming into the rear of the receiver, thus extending the lifespan of the rifle, that is a good thing.

Guess you never put optics on a rifle. Cause open sites "ain't broke". Obviously I am not discussing this with a rocket scientist.
    edited November -1

Well, if I can keep the bolt carrier from slamming into the rear of the receiver, thus extending the lifespan of the rifle, that is a good thing.

Guess you never put optics on a rifle. Cause open sites "ain't broke". Obviously I am not discussing this with a rocket scientist.

Well if you feel a gun that was not designed to need a buffer is better with it more power to you.

No, I have never put optics on a gun that was not designed to use them.

As for rockets, well they never were my thing so I stick to guns.
    edited November -1

Well if you feel a gun that was not designed to need a buffer is better with it more power to you.

No, I have never put optics on a gun that was not designed to use them.

As for rockets, well they never were my thing so I stick to guns.

Got it. You must be that "special" poster that most blogs have. I have a neighbor with a kiddo like that. Harmless. Not real bright as long as he gets his orange posicles for lunch everyday. Sorry, I cannot help you with an orange popsicle. But here is a picture of a toy truck to keep you occupied while us adults discuss things.

24gr5uh.jpg
  • wdfaulkwdfaulk Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I always liked about the AK was the fact Ive never seen a failure outside of ammo or magazines, morons excepted.

If you have a shoulder or other medical problems you would look for anything to help with recoil. My solution has always been a muzzle break and a shoulder pad if I'm going to be doing a lot of shooting. I would hesitate to put anything in that mechanism that wasn't designed by the rifles manufacturer or proven beyond a shadow of doubt by the community. But that's just me.
    edited November -1
    I tend to thoroughly understand the concept and may even try one. I've replaced the one in my a Mac-11 many times.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wdfaulk
    What I always liked about the AK was the fact Ive never seen a failure outside of ammo or magazines, morons excepted.

If you have a shoulder or other medical problems you would look for anything to help with recoil. My solution has always been a muzzle break and a shoulder pad if I'm going to be doing a lot of shooting. I would hesitate to put anything in that mechanism that wasn't designed by the rifles manufacturer or proven beyond a shadow of doubt by the community. But that's just me.

I have had nothing but good results with mine. I do not remember the brand name, Buffer Tech I think, but I did not put it in to reduce recoil. I put it in to keep the bolt carrier from slamming into the rear of the receiver. A rather testy lot here aren't you?
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the report and pictorial.
    [:)]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    25,000-30,000 rounds is about the life span of most the Ak's that have stamped recievers, Or so I have been told, be carefull.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    25,000-30,000 rounds is about the life span of most the Ak's that have stamped recievers, Or so I have been told, be carefull.

Ok. That is 25-30K I have run through it since the recoil buffer was installed. Ran thousands and thousands through it before it was installed, back in the good old days when you could get the steel cased combloc ammo for $1.50/20. Course, I bought it used, so I am unsure how many rounds the former owner or owners put through it.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    not to change the topic, but you should be carefull what you post pictures of. you never know who or what will be looking at them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wlfmn323
    not to change the topic, but you should be carefull what you post pictures of. you never know who or what will be looking at them.

Example? I do not see anything inciminating.
    edited November -1
    Sorry, been away a while. A recoil buffer keeps the bolt carrier from slamming into the receiver. If you also note, it says "under" $20.00. Last I checked, $10.00 is under $20.00.

no it says "about $20" in one post, and "best $20" in another.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187

It cost me RIGHT AT $20.00 with shipping. As * as you are, you will make someone a good wife someday.
    edited November -1

It cost me RIGHT AT $20.00 with shipping. As * as you are, you will make someone a good wife someday.

right at $20, you just made a point of saying it was under $20, and $10 is under $20 last you checked.

so was it 10x 2k rounds or 25k rounds, you seem to have a problem with numbers
    edited November -1

right at $20, you just made a point of saying it was under $20, and $10 is under $20 last you checked.

so was it 10k rounds or 25k rounds, you seem to have a problem with numbers

Obviously you must be the board "special ed" case. 10x2500 is 25000. Let me guess. Public education? Go back up and look at the picture of the shiney red truck. Let the intelligent folks discuss things.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    I tend to thoroughly understand the concept and may even try one. I've replaced the one in my a Mac-11 many times.

The one in you Mac was designed to be in there and WILL cause damage (a broken rear weld) if you do not have a buffer in it. There are also many guns designed to have a buffer in them.

I do have buffers in a couple of my other guns but the #1 thing to make sure is they function in your gun since they were not designed to be used with them. The guns I have them in are ones that are suppressed. By adding them to my suppressed 10/22 it made it much quieter by metal on "plastic" vs metal on metal.

As far as the AK goes I have one that I am going to use in my PSL when I get it set up for my suppressor. The reason I am going to try one in there is the back pressure is increased in the gun. I have not shot this gun yet but will the buffer in the I can not get full travel out of the carrier so I may have to modify it or drop it completely.
    edited November -1
    True. If it impedes the function of the weapon in any way, I'll remove it or modify it until it works. To me it's trial and error and learning. Besides, I need something else to do besides sit here and read people berating other people.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew

The one in you Mac was designed to be in there and WILL cause damage (a broken rear weld) if you do not have a buffer in it. There are also many guns designed to have a buffer in them.

I do have buffers in a couple of my other guns but the #1 thing to make sure is they function in your gun since they were not designed to be used with them. The guns I have them in are ones that are suppressed. By adding them to my suppressed 10/22 it made it much quieter by metal on "plastic" vs metal on metal.

As far as the AK goes I have one that I am going to use in my PSL when I get it set up for my suppressor. The reason I am going to try one in there is the back pressure is increased in the gun. I have not shot this gun yet but will the buffer in the I can not get full travel out of the carrier so I may have to modify it or drop it completely.

I am unsure how it would work with a suppressed system. I know my personal experience with this rifle has been fantastic. I recommend it to anyone.

Here is a link. $15.00 plus shipping.

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/Recoil_Buffers_C2.cfm?UserID=1297106&jsessionid=8c30f737867fI$FA$D5$