In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dallas Gun Buy Back

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
It makes me ILL to think that something like this can happen in TEXAS. I could even accept and believe it better if it was in Austin, but this is Dallas. CRAP!

Dallas Gun Buy Back
BJ Austin, KERA News

DALLAS, TX
(2009-02-26) This weekend, the city of Dallas is swapping groceries for guns at Reunion Arena. Dallas Police and Schepps Dairy are among sponsors of a gun buy-back that will trade a 50 dollar Kroger gift card for each gun turned-in.

Police Sgt. Gil Cerda says the guns need to be unloaded, and bring your I-D.

Cerda: We will ask for identification from anyone who turns in a firearm, for legality reasons. But, we're not doing any background checks, so please don't say, "I'm not going because they're going to check me out." No we're not. I want to make that very, very clear.

The goal is to get guns off the streets and out of homes, where children may find them.

Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway says the gun buy-back is 9 to Noon on Saturday and is THE last, official event at Reunion - slated for demolition in April.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kera/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1474268&sectionID=1

Dallas "Gun Buy Back" Nets Nearly 150 Firearms

By BRETT JOHNSON

David Sutherland
DPD says a total of 147 guns were turned in during today's "Gun Buy Back" initiative at Reunion Arena.

Nearly 150 firearms were taken off the streets today by Dallas Police in an effort to keep them from falling into the wrong hands.

It was the result of a "Gun Buy Back" program the city has instituted in an effor to make the city safer.

"Great program. They're gonna get a lot of guns off the street. They should continue it." said Tom Reger who sold a .22-calibre rifle.

Reger is amoung scores of Dallas gun owners who opted to sell their unwanted weapons to police as part of the program.

"What we will do is we will run them through a series of testing checking them for stolen or being used in a crime and eventually they will be destroyed." said Lt. Gary Tittle, Dallas Police Dept.

The incentive for the gun owner is a $50 grocery card for each unloaded, operable weapon surrendered.

"We just had a gentleman turn in 5 weapons, he got $250. He's a retiree and he thinks that terrific to help him with groceries." said Frank Librio, City of Dallas Spokesperson

Mark White is getting rid of three old guns and will take home $150 in grocery money.

"Eventually a gun can easily make it to the street they could be stolen. These guns came out of my garage so there's no reason to keep these guns in your home." said Mark White.

Police and politicians say this is one of the best avenues they have for getting guns off the streets.

Deputy Mayor Pro Tem, Dwaine Caraway said, "I'm going to remain pro-active. I want to save lives and keep the citizens of this city safe."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas-Gun-Buy-Back-Nets-Nearly-150-Firearms.html

sb10069184a-001.jpg

Comments

• fullautogunnerfullautogunner Member Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone with a gun can bring it to Reunion Arena on Saturday from 9 a.m. -- noon and exchange it for a $50 gift card from Kroger.

The event is in not an undercover or sting operation, according to Dallas police Sgt. Gil Cerda. It is entirely voluntary, and no background checks will be performed on anyone dropping a gun off, although they will require ID. All guns must be operational and unloaded.

"Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway created the event to promote gun safety and get guns off of the street -- guns that could be involved in accidental shootings or in actual crimes," said Cerda.

A similar event took place back in the 90's, but he couldn't speak to how successful it was. He did say he heard very positive accounts from people he had talked to who were involved.

The event will use no public funds, and has drawn sponsorships from Kroger, Univision, Schepps Dairy and several area radio stations.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    $50 don't even get my Lorcin[:(]
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i have a few guns that i would gladly take 50 bucks for. only thing there good for is boat anchors. still sad though. i wonder how many officers are going to be getting new personal firearms from this.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:$50 don't even get my Lorcin

I was thinking the same about my 22lr Jimenez![:0][:D]
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local radio news covered this several times on friday. Fifty smacks credit at a grocery store seems like little more than a token. Look on the bright side - out of the millions of people and firearms in D/FW, less than 200 took the bait.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Sounds more like a * reunion.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "What we will do is we will run them through a series of testing checking them for stolen or being used in a crime and eventually they will be destroyed." said Lt. Gary Tittle, Dallas Police Dept.

I'm sure that he meant to say that if the gun was found to be stolen that it would be returned to the rightful owner, not eventually destroyed. [:(!]
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna hold my own gun buyback. I'll put an add in the paper offering $50 per gun. Make the streets safer by putting all those evil guns in my safe.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    I'm gonna hold my own gun buyback. I'll put an add in the paper offering $50 per gun. Make the streets safer by putting all those evil guns in my safe.
    I like that idea[;)]
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1

Im with you, but I bet there was nothin but junk turned in cuz while i don't have a gun I would give back for 50 bucks there are plenty in the world I wouldn't give 50 bucks for
    yet again, taking guns from law abiding citizens...I guess the drug gangs havent goten clear up to dallas yet?
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get alot of junk, but I would get some decent ones too. Even a decent Hi point would sell for a $100 not to mention all the folks who would bring in granddads old Smith or 1911 thinking it was worthless[:p]. I bet the cops would shut me down in no time though[V].
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What other states have buy backs?
  • Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $50 for each operable gun?

If by "operable" they mean "the duct tape holding it together is still kind of sticky in spots" then sure, I'll sell 'em operable guns at $50 a pop. Otherwise I wouldn't even sell them my junk guns for that.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1

Great idea!

The junk ones you could always sell at the next buy back the cops sponsor.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    You know, I normally shop at King Soopers, a Kroger company. I've been a loyal customer for many years (and they know that because of my loyalty card).

Today I am drafting a letter to them and returning my loyalty card. I'm also going to shop at Safeway for groceries today.

Kroger will never see another dime from me.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ

Great idea!

The junk ones you could always sell at the next buy back the cops sponsor.

That's an even better idea. Embarrass the brain dead politicians, and screw the antis out of some of their money to boot.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    OK, if these are "operable" guns, and you no longer want them or need the $$$...WHY NOT SELL THEM TO A GUN SHOP??

I'm sure you would get more than $50, plus you're not helping the anti's with their PR stunt.

We had one of these in Wilkes/Barre TWP PA. Not many homies turning in their Jennings for a Wal-Mart gift card, mostly older guys turning in Marlins, other hunting rifles and some nice looking stuff, I would bet some nice WWII stuff too[V].

Some W/B cops I'm sure added to their collectionsz that day.

And then, in a County that's basically broke..they destroyed the guns! Not even stripped them for parts, chopped them up. For scrap.

* convention is RIGHT[:(!]