In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Florida Man Says He Forgot About Loaded Gun When Boarding Flights

b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A transportation safety consultant charged with trying to board a flight with a concealed 9 mm Beretta says he forgot the loaded gun was in his briefcase. Barry Brunstein, 55, of Tampa, Fla., said he took the weapon with him on a business trip to Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 18 , checked into a hotel, put the gun in his briefcase and didn't use either the weapon or case again until his trip to Memphis, Tenn. "It was the handiest place to put it. I never gave the gun a second thought," he said in an interview Sunday. Brunstein, who worked in the 1970s as a U.S. Department of Transportation safety officer, said he is worried the incident will affect his consulting job. Brunstein was making a round-trip jaunt Friday between Tampa and Memphis, with a stop in Atlanta, to complete requirements for a Delta Air Lines frequent-flier program, he said. Tampa security guards missed the gun when his briefcase was screened there, federal officials said. "It went through the scanner and got to the other end," Brunstein said. The briefcase was not screened in Atlanta because he remained near his gate while waiting for his connecting flight. But Brunstein was pulled over for a random security check in Memphis and arrested when a security guard found the weapon as he prepared to board a flight to Tampa. An investigation was under way at Los Angeles-based Worldwide Security Associates, which provides security checks at Tampa International Airport, a company official said. Brunstein's hearing is scheduled for Jan. 17 in federal court. Brunstein, who has a Florida license to carry the weapon, has no previous criminal record and was released on $5,000 bond.

Comments

• BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Just like in the AD in the mall, when you make a stupid with a concealed firearm, you WILL have to pay for it.There is no ground for "well, he mighta forgot" or "well, he probably didn't mean no harm" when you carry a pistol.Its almost like carrying a baby. You cant say "golly, I forgot I left it there! Sorry!" or "I dropped it alright, but it was an accident!".
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no excuse for this kind of "stupid" but I understand the "forgetting" bit in other circumstances. Ever since my Zippo was taken from me at the airport when I was 19, I now am VERY paranoid about what I pack and carry when I fly. However, I used to carry concealed for work and there were many times when I would accidentally get in my pickup and drive all the way home with my duty weapon before I realized that it was still on my hip. I never got in trouble (but should have).
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YA, and REID forgot he loaded his shoes.
    Just one more gun and I'll quit.....HONEST....
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    He can kiss his CCW good-by
    NRA Pistol InstructorP'cola. FL Home of the Blue AngelsnIshnabe'k
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The frightening part is that he got through not one, but two "security" checks before being caught.
  • S&W 629S&W 629 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell it to the judge... maybe he'll have a bleeding heart... but I wouldn't count on it!!
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BOB, I heard on CNN that they closed some airport down for three hours cause they found out a guy that was pushing a wheelchair wasn't properly scanned.Found nothing.Seems like some sort of training is needed.
    Just one more gun and I'll quit.....HONEST....
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Training? They need some people with BRAINS doing the job.The airport security people should all be fired. Let them go to the farm fields where they can at least pick vegetables.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Something like that happened to a local radio personality. The station sponsored a listener trip to Cancun. The jock tossed some stuff into an overnight bag and went to the airport. The check in folks told him the bag was too big to carry on, and made him check it through.After he got to his hotel room and unpacked, he found that he had left his Glock in the bag. Darn good thing he checked it through, so it did not pass the X-ray machine.Happened that the jock's good friend and lawyer was on the trip. Based on his very good advice, the Glock ended up field stripped and dropped in the sea.Lucking out once is OK, but you can't count on it twice in a row.I would have done exactly the same.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!