In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shooting range

ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Any DFW area forum members use Quail Creek Shooting Range?
Any opinions or thoughts?
Benjie

Comments

• ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When im at the range, and im shooting, just doing my thing, sometimes people who arent shooting stand behind and watch other shooters, and sometimes when im done, they ask questions or just want to shoot the bull, they ask what im shooting, what im using, yada yada, and i always offer to let them shoot whatever i brought, but i usually get a wierd look and they dont want to shoot. You think theyre scared to shoot some one elses gun, or am i just weird for offering?
    edited November -1
    I've got a 7.5 acre pasture, no animals, and I'm thinking of setting up my own 100 yd. range for sighting in rifles and pistols. Right now I just use a big old oak tree stump for a backstop and wanted some suggestions on making a real backstop for stopping high power rifle rounds. Behind my pasture is my Dad's 90 acres of dense woods, so if I do get a stray it won't go far or hit any houses. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this venture, just want a nice backstop just because I'd feel better.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
    edited November -1
    I just got back from shooting my 10/22 at the shooting range for the first time.[^] The Remington hollowpoint ammo I had missfired 7 times, and jammed twice.[:(]

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
    edited November -1
    Anybody that lives here in Penn. have access or own a range that will allow bench shooting at 500+ yds. Even portions of the Hillbilly state(W.Virginia) or north west Maryland. I am bored to death with only being able to shoot 200yds and I would really like to see what my 7mm can do at over 200. It cuts holes at 100 yds and sub 1" at 200y. I really need to see what it can do. I'm kinda like a 16 year old with the first chance at driving dad's camaro. I gotta see what it will do! just to brag to you .22-250 guys, I just chronographed at sierra 100 grain varmiter at 4162 fps, slight over charge but WOW! and here I thought only a .250 would do that!
    when all else fails........................
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Try differant ammo in it see what it likes best.

(Misfires & Jams)
    Thats why I have a Marlin 60 eats anything

underway.gif
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    10 22,
    I prefer Federal's for most of my shooting,
    handguns and long bbls, but both of my Ruger 10/22 RPF's
    seem to shoot better with plain ol' Winchester XPERT hollow points in 36 grain.

As other suggest, try several brands,
    and enjoy finding out on your own. [;)]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    10-22's are no different from any other semi-auto when it comes to ammo. They like some and not others. Good advice to try other brands and see what yours likes.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    Thank I will take the advice and try other types of ammo.

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    If your 10/22 is new it will take some time (100rds should do it) for everything to settle down. I use the cheapo WalMart Federal bulk packs for plinking or CCI's for more accuracy. Might also tear it down for a really good cleaning around the barrell throat and ejector. Also check your clips for deformed lips.
    lots o luck
    Walte
    edited November -1
    Yes it was the first time the gun had been fired but I did put right around 100 rounds through it.

• IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Watch out for the 3 dowel pins that hold the trigger group in, they fall out easy & are easier to lose.
    Walte
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    ruger 10 22, If you had that many misfires, do not throw out the box they were in! SAVE IT AND ALSO SOME OF THE UNFIRED AMMO!!! Keep it and try the other brands of ammo and see if they function flawlessly! If they do then go to the Remington website and get their phone number and call! Explain what the experience was and they will probably tell you to send the unfired or leftover ammo to them and they will send you some replacement ammo! Probably will include some other stuff too! Like a cap and a key ring or other stuff! The factories don't like to hear about ammo problems! They do like to have boxes with lot numbers on them when a problem is found! GHD PS: BEEN THERE: DONE THAT!!!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey buddy, alot of people swear by Remingtons ammo, but personally I've had a lot of problems with it. Like somebody else said, try federal, always good stuff, and try some winchester too. Different guns like different ammo.

www.ammoday.com
    bulletline.gif