In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Questions about "Band of Brothers"

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen, if not the best. BUT:
1)What happened to Lt. Dike? The only thing I remember is one of the guys making the comment: "...remember what happened to Lt. Dike."
I know he was an total A--H--- and a coward and was relieved by Lt. Spiers during a combat situation but then I don't recall hearing any more about him until that comment.
2)Speaking of Lt. Spiers...did he or didn't he? I thought he had a great line when he was talking about the prisoner thing. Something to the effect that "...being thought of as the meanest SOB in the Army is not always a bad thing."
3)Maj. Winters talked about what he did after the war but I never heard anything about a wife. HMMMMM???

Saw the guy who played Winters (Damian Lewis) in a "British drawing room" type show on A&E and he had the most convincing "proper British gentleman" accent you've ever heard. Anyone know if he's a Brit that was affecting an American accent in the movie or an American affecting a Brit accent in this other thing I saw him in?

Anybody.....Bueller.....anybody???

Mudge the curious

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I think he took a direct hit from the nearly point-blank artillery during the assault where he was replaced. He was hiding behind a haystack or something, mumbling to himself, when he got blowed-up good. Blowed-up real good.[:D]

Buck Compton from the real band of brothers lives just up the road from me. I see him quite a bit around town.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Lt. Spears was one of those 'made up' for the movie. In the movie, he did kill the German prisoners in an early episode. It wasn't used as a 'flashback' till later.

Damian Lewis IS a BRIT, so the accent you heard in the other movie was his.

Bill Garnere has a website up about the men of Company E. I'll look for it and post it later. There's lots of info there. At one of the reunions in Toccoa, Ga. the real men of Easy Company met the actors who portrayed them. It's amazing how the actor who played Garnere looks like the real one. You'd think they were grandfather and grandson.

Also, there's a movement to give Capt. Winters the Congressional Medal of Honor.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rebel James, what do you mean that Lt. Speirs was "made up" for the movie. I read the book by Stephen Ambrose, and Lt. Speirs is not a fictional character.
  • rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as Richard Winters being awarded the CMOH, I couldn't agree more. In fact, Col. Sink put him in for the medal, for his actions at Brecourt Manor, but only one man per division was to be awarded the Medal of Honor in the Normandy campaign. That honor (for the 101) went to Lt. Col. Robert Cole for leading a bayonet charge. Winters was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions against the German guns.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Really, I didn't know that Lweis was a brit!![:0]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    All I can tell you guys is that enjoyed the movie alot!!

Brian Ostro.
    member: NRA, John Birch Society, American Numismatic Association.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Rordog, I stand corrected. I forget where I got that info, but after doing some research, I find you're right.

For more information on the real men of Easy Company, go to

wildbillguarnere.com

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems very strange in episode 10 showing the 101 A.B. capturing and
    clearing Berchtesgaden when on May 4 '45 it was captured and cleared
    by the 3rd Bn 7th Inf Reg. 3rd Inf Div. I know as I was in the 3rd Bn.
    Even Gen Ike wrote this capture by the 3rd Inf Div in his book, Swords
    and Plowshares. Gen. Taylor,then Commanding Gen. of the 101 A.B. also
    admitted to this fact in his book of memiors. Steven Ambrose was made
    aware of the true facts but did nothing about it. At least that part
    was pure fiction. The 101 AB did however come in and stay as occupation
    troops later, after its capture and clearing. Check out the website
    www.warfoto.com for the facts.
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, Joe,
    Sure is good to hear from a man who was there! I hope you had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!
    OleDuk