In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HDTV & HDMI conectors question!

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
I tried going to a HDMI conector from my new cable DVR to my TV, I can get a picture but no sound!

Any Ideas?????????

Comments

• iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Turn the volume up!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    Turn the volume up!
    It was up !
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are using a HDMI connection and not a DVI, correct? DVI is video only.

If you are using HDMI, the DVR also has a volume control. Is the DVR volume turned up?

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Odd - there are 2 different HDMI formats and maybe they are at odds. Try using the regular HDTV output (Component out) and the optical digital output for sound (if your tv supports it). If that works, call your cable company.

one more thing to check - on your tv you may need to "turn on" the hdmi input.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    You are using a HDMI connection and not a DVI, correct? DVI is video only.

If you are using HDMI, the DVR also has a volume control. Is the DVR volume turned up?

Volume was up on the DVR as well!

And yes I am useing true HDMI and not DVI.

I am thinking I may have to call the cable company back out. It is thier DVR/cable box that I am useing. It works fine on the component RCA conector but I want to free up an A/V jack as I have so much stuff connected with all the game systems and my Bose system that I have no A/V jacks left! And in a couple weeks I will be getting a Wii to hook up as well!
    edited November -1
    GRD - What make and model is DVR?

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    On mine you have to go into the settings menu and tell it to turn on the sound for the individual audio outputs/inputs. First time I tried to watch a DVD it had no sound, but the DVR channels would sound fine. Took me a while to stumble across the solution. I am not sure if the settings were in the tv or the DVR or both, but that is how I fixed it.
    edited November -1
    GRD - What make and model is DVR?
    Sientific Atlalanta
    edited November -1
    GRD - I'm not sure what model Scientific Atlanta DRV you have, but some automatically configure the HDMI interface based on what the DVR detects from the TV. If it doesn't detect a Dolby Digital capable TV it will provide the Digital Video via the HDMI cable, but the 2-channel audio might be routed to a separate pair of outputs for audio. I believe this can be overridden though the DRV menu. You probably need to have your Cable Company check this out.

• scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for "Larry the Cable Guy" to pay a visit !!
    edited November -1
    GRD - I'm not sure what model Scientific Atlanta DRV you have, but some automatically configure the HDMI interface based on what the DVR detects from the TV. If it doesn't detect a Dolby Digital capable TV it will provide the Digital Video via the HDMI cable, but the 2-channel audio might be routed to a separate pair of outputs for audio. I believe this can be overridden though the DRV menu. You probably need to have your Cable Company check this out.

Translation-go to DVR settings-audio-output-hdmi/on
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior

Translation-go to DVR settings-audio-output-hdmi/on
    I was thinking that myself! But the Cable guy did not leave me the manuel for the box and I cannot figure out how to do it![:(]

There are very few electronics that I cannot figure out, but this happens to be one of them![:(][:(][:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    They always take the manual these days so you have to call them. meanies!
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may be able to find the manual online. Most companies now have a PDF file of the manuals on their site.

FWIW, I skipped the HDMI on my setup because I would have had to run HDMI from Sony Reciever to TV and then run audio back to the Sony reciever to send to the speakers. My Reciever is only a pass-thru HD set. Otherwise it would only work on my TV speakers.
    edited November -1
    You should be able to find your Scientific Atlanta DVR manual here:

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/new_consumers.htm

edited November -1
    You should be able to find your Scientific Atlanta DVR manual here:

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/new_consumers.htm
    Thank you sir! I will look![:D]
    edited November -1
    Old-Colts,

Thank you very much! The info was there!

I have not messed with it yet but I know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it now![:D]
    edited November -1
    You're welcome. I served my useful purpose for today and now I can be worthless for the remainder of the day![:D]