In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The new bar in town

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
In a small mid-western conservative town, a new bar/tavern started a building to open up their business. The local Baptist church started a campaign to block the bar from opening with petitions and prayers. Work progressed, however, right up till the week before opening, when a bolt of lightning struck the bar and burned it to the ground.

The church folks were rather smug in their outlook after that, till the bar owner sued the church on the grounds that the church was responsible for the demise of his building, either through direct or indirect actions or means. The church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the buildings demise in its reply to the court.

As the case made it's way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork at the hearing and commented, " I don't know how I'm going to decide this." As it appears from the paperwork, "we have a bar owner that believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that doesn't."

Comments

• jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Oh the irony of it.....
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Sad, ain't it?!? [:(]
  • swamp_thingswamp_thing Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see, what does the Bible say about denying the Lord? Seems to me that the Church would have been far better suited to have said that yes their prayers were answered, but it was in fact an act of God. Kind of puts the whole congregation in a real bad light I would say.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swamp_thing
    Let's see, what does the Bible say about denying the Lord? Seems to me that the Church would have been far better suited to have said that yes their prayers were answered, but it was in fact an act of God. Kind of puts the whole congregation in a real bad light I would say.

Often when I pray, it's for God to act. Don't often call down fire from heaven, but some healing, protecting, fixing, saving all come in handy now and then. [;)]