In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

B17 making the rounds

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
The wife insisted I book a flight on EAA's Aluminum Overcast tomorrow in Warrentown, Va.
With great reluctance I complied.

Comments

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you've never done it, you will not be sorry. If you have - do it again.
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy any excuse at all to post some pictures of my B-17 adventure. although rainy, lotta fun. I'm sure the regulars have seen 'em before, but what the heck.

390986.jpg

Some updated avionics but still a fascinating bit of history.

390981.jpg

Ah, just one more. [:D]

390980.jpg
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never get tired of B17 pics. Good for you.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great experience, took a lot of pictures and some video. Will try and post some.
    Hearing a radial engine start and run up has always been music to my ears.
    One has to wonder how crews got around in winter flight suits and got out of the plane in a hurry.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:One has to wonder how crews got around in winter flight suits and got out of the plane in a hurry.

To start with, the majority of them were young guys, a LOT more limber than most of us and a HECK of a lot smaller than the majority of us! And finally, when your plane is on fire, about to go into a spin, and parts are flying off it, my guess is you can move in a REAL BIG HURRY!

Glad you had a good time! Please post those pics! My great great uncle was kiled in a B-24 over Europe. He was a top turret gunner/flight engineer. When the only one left (b-24) came to my hometown several years ago, my grand-ma (who had cancer at the time and died about a month later) insisted that she wanted to go see it. When we explained her interest to the flight crew, they really went out of their way to get her up in the plane and let her sit at her brother's position and explain his job to her. Allowed her to fly at her brothers position for free to the next town on their tour. Brought her a small measure of closure over something she had carried for over 50 years at the time. Great guys! We will always be in their debt!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    There is a flyable B-17G at the museum where I volunteer.

www.sprucegoose.com

I love 'em.

Doug
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug, I've got a couple of sepia tone 8x10 prints of the Spruce Goose under construction with scaffolding around it. Could the museum use them?
  • ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    I love old planes! Here's a B-25 I think? [:D]
    moonplane.jpg
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    v35 - that would be very generous of you. If you'd like to send them to me, I'll take them in and get them into the proper hands. I'll see that your gift is acknowledged.

Doug Wilson
    c/o Thunderbolt Ranch
    32345 Savage Road
    Sheridan, Oregon 97378
    503-843-2020

Doug
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:Here's a B-25 I think?

No, not a B-25. B-26 or an A-20 maybe. I can't tell for sure, but someone here can, I bet. BTW...hope that pilot lands safely. He has a crack in his window. [:0][:D]
  • ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a marauder, except for the non-issue bombsight........