In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I knew something was wrong..

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
Lightning got the garage door opener last night. NO incoming calls this morning.. then this afternoon no incoming calls. I try and make a call... bingo NO dial tone. My DSL works but no phone.. Call ATT and they say the test to the home is OK. I go out and open phone box and plug in phone.. Dial tone. NO dial tone in home. I am screwed. ATT comes in the morning .

Comments

• Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    bababooeyY.....Hopefully it's nothing MAJOR....Best Luck
  • swamp_thingswamp_thing Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Select, do you by chance pay the $1.50 or so per month for whole house phone wiring protection? I know it has been an option anywhere we have been. Times like this sure make it handy to have.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop the land line. Use only cell phone and DSL.
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Drop the land line. Use only cell phone and DSL.

I thought about doing that before, but everytime I have to make a call on the cell phone, I loose my signal. It never fails, so gotta have the land line.
  • trevorustrevorus Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You usually cannot have DSL without a landline. Most companies require you to have home phone service first.
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trevorus
    You usually cannot have DSL without a landline. Most companies require you to have home phone service first.

That's how it is where I am, and it pisses me of to no end. I NEVER use my landline.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could not imagine trying to live without a landline, guess I'am an old fart!!! Some places in my area wont take your check without a land line #
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My landline stays. Business's are hooked up to it. I have a cell phone also only for emergencies ( trac phone ).
  • LKB3rdLKB3rd Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am an A T & T repair guy. One or more of your phone sets got fried and is shorting out the line. Unplug them all, and plug them in one by one. If you get dial tone in one set leave it plugged in. If not, leave it unplugged and move to the next one. DSL will work with a short circuit, which is how i know that's what it is, and it works on the side of the house because you have to disconnect the inside wires (thus removing the short from the circuit) to plug in a phone out there.
    edited November -1
    If you have to pay for inside wiring this will most likely be a half hour job ($65). If you are able to find the shorted sets yourself, and tell him when he arrives, they will charge you something like 20-30 bucks for the repair call to "prove " the problem to your inside wires. If you pay for the inside wiring coverage, there is no charge, even if he comes in and finds the bad set(s).
    You could also cancel the repair call to avoid being charged(if you are on the "pay for inside repairs" plan) if you find the fried sets before he dispatches on it.
    edited November -1
    Done deal. Traced with the tester the problem. Lightning took out the filter jack and the answering machine / phone in the living room. Hooked up the old phone and aswering maching and OK. Time to go get another filter and phone. Called ATT and scrubbed the meet up for repair.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I love happy endings.
    edited November -1
    Lightning could have took out the Heat Pump or the Well Pump... Been there and done that more than once. Who says lightning doesn't hit a person twice. Thru the years I can recall 6 times I have had lightning repairs.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you install lightning rods on your house?
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lightning rods will only protect the structure. You will need external & internal surge protection installed on ALL power & utility lines, (phone, cable, satellite, outdoor lighting, etc). There are no guarantees that even with this protection you will prevent damage. You can only hope to minimize it. High voltage surges must be "choked" down in stages. There is no one single arrestor that will do the complete job.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    gOTTEN HIT 2 TIMES BY LIGHTING. lOST 2 COMPUTERS. lOST 6 PHONES 3 ENTERTAINMENT CENTERS. NOW EVERY THING GETS UNPLUGED AND I STAY INSIDE.[B)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

First time in this home lightning has done any damage. Our old home was hit twice. Another home twice.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Lightning got the garage door opener last night. NO incoming calls this morning.. then this afternoon no incoming calls. I try and make a call... bingo NO dial tone. My DSL works but no phone.. Call ATT and they say the test to the home is OK. I go out and open phone box and plug in phone.. Dial tone. NO dial tone in home. I am screwed. ATT comes in the morning .

Cell phone finally pay off???
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sith Lord
    bababooeyY.....Hopefully it's nothing MAJOR....Best Luck

Wow a member from the darkside. Why in the hell do you need a gun? you can make a bullet do a U-turn!!!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    My next door neighbor's house gets hit by lightning almost every time we have a storm. I've replaced his garage door opener motor 6 or 7 times, capacitors on his heat pump about the same and various other electric devices over the years. Weird how it always goes for his house and never hits mine.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

The phone system has built in lightning protection where if a large jolt comes down the line it will blow the fuse and send it to ground. Unfortunately, some surges are enough to fry your equipment but not strong enough blow the fuses.