In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pitbull

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
yes, another sad story about one of the most loving, caring, wouldn't hurt a flea dog.
in the little town of RIO wv. not far from where i live, another attack from a monster. yes a pitbull. this time a three day old baby, killed. when will people that these animals cant be trusted

Comments

• IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy are his dancers healthy.[:p]

Pitbull-2-DWTS-300x269.jpg

Saw the Show on GMA just now.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Me and the wife were walking to get the mail tonite when the neigbors pitbull came out to say hi. In not a nice way luckly we made it back to the house ok. Thw Animal control showed up a little while later. I guess that it had injured someone earlier. The lady got out of her van walk around a little and got back in the van a drove off. Now we still have a dog on the lose
  • Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    "LOCK & LOAD"....As far as I'm concerned it's open game now..[:(!]
    edited November -1
    only if i wasn't in city limits.
  • kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    City limits mean nothing! It doesn't matter if it was a poodle either, If that dog approaches you on your property and you feel threatened by it, BLOW ITS HEAD OFF!
    edited November -1
    NOW, THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT....[:D]quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    City limits mean nothing! It doesn't matter if it was a poodle either, If that dog approaches you on your property and you feel threatened by it, BLOW ITS HEAD OFF!
    edited November -1
    I have seen the A C folks over there a number of times. does someone have to get hurt before they are going to do anything about it.
    edited November -1
    Sad but true.quote:Originally posted by big800
    I have seen the A C folks over there a number of times. does someone have to get hurt before they are going to do anything about it.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be it's up bringing. After all those cute little puppies are just plain lovable and adorable, wouldn't hurt a flea. You just know it can't possibly be genetics.
    edited November -1
    absolutly....my buddy has two, they are only about 9 months old bro & sis, any they are great, even with kids.quote:Originally posted by mcaso
    Must be it's up bringing. After all those cute little puppies are just plain lovable and adorable, wouldn't hurt a flea. You just know it can't possibly be genetics.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    went to petco today to get some frontline flea control and the lady there had a pitbull. she was walking it around on a retractable leash that was ment for a 30 pound dog. it had been tied and tied again from the dog breaking it. she was telling me how the dog loved to run up to people to get attention. this dog was very mellow and i dont think you could have aggravated it if you tried. but with that said if a pitbull came running up to me friendly or not i dont think it would make it all the way to me.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pitbulls have "dog-agressive tendencies common to all terriers". Had to look that up. The diffeence is pitbulls are stronger so their bite is more damaging. An analogy; Kind of like a little rat dog nips at your ankle with no real harm done, but a pitbull crushes the bone. "Pitbulls are Staffordsire Bull Terrier crossed with OTHER fighting dogs, including the extinct Fighting Bulldog." In other words one "dog-agggressive tendency" fighting dog crosed with other "dog-aggressive tendency" fighting dogs. All with strong crushing jaws.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Exactly!quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
  • LKB3rdLKB3rd Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pitbulls CAN be great gentle pets, but with jaws and muscles like a vise-grip, the consequences for teaching one to be mean, or if one just happens to be a bad apple, are severe.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the law does nothing, sit out front on the porch or in the yard drinking tea or lemonade until he comes for another "visit", then he never makes all the way to you.[}:)] Done deal,.....cover with dirt, go out to dinner and come back late.[8]
  • chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's alot on how they are raised. Going back about 10-15 years, my brother inlaw and his cousing where into these pitbulls. Two dogs from the same litter. My bother inlaws was as nice as could be, it was raised with his kids and very friendly. The cousins dog was mean and nastly. He keep it chained to a pole and you couldn't get near it. The best thing for that dog would have been a slug to the head.
    edited November -1
    nothing was done last night with this dog. Next time he gets out I think i will take care of the problem
    edited November -1
    I thnk you've made a wise decision. quote:Originally posted by big800
    nothing was done last night with this dog. Next time he gets out I think i will take care of the problem
  • green milegreen mile Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pitbulls are "trash" dogs that were so inbread and trained to fight in the past that most (not all) have fighting dogs in their bloodline. A neighbor down the street a few years ago was going for a walk after dinner with his wife and a pit came out to greet them. Unlucky for the dog my neighbor is a retired law enforecement officer and the pit took a .45 hollowpoint to the head. My neighbor quietly left the dog in the street and went home to write a check for $35.oo (the fine for discharging a firearm in city limits). I don't even think the city fined him (self defense is a beautiful thing).
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--big800. if you're "plannlng" SOMETHING, just remember your "RULES of ENGAGEMENT"--

----JIMBO
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now guys...You know it's the owners, not the dogs...No, I'm gonna drop this one. No point in stirring.
  • green milegreen mile Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't know Micheal Vick lived in your neighborhood!
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot my neighbors pitbull while I was living in rural Georgia. It was trying to get under my fence to get at my dogs. He was pissed but I had told him, when it happened the first time, what would happen the second time.

I don't like shooting dogs but I'm pretty sure what would have happened if he had gotten under the fence. My dogs were young shepherd/collie mixes. I did the right thing.
    edited November -1
    It would be one thing if this was the first time but this dog is out atleast once a week.
    edited November -1
    Solve the Problem, before someone gets hurt!!!!quote:Originally posted by big800
    It would be one thing if this was the first time but this dog is out atleast once a week.
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot the owner....thats where the problem is ! Most likely a crack dealer or crack head.
    Abort Cuomo
  • turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forrester has it right deal with the dogs owner. i'm seeing alot of trigger happy woosies
  • KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    definately talk to the guy before you murder his dog. Than if that doesnt work, SSS.
  • 511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the least you can hear it coming. Some drug dealers remove a dogs vocal cords so during home invasions or the cops sneak in and get chewed to death only totaly confused by the pitter patter of racing feet before the first bite. It happens when a person climes in through a window and is forced to climb back through that same window to escape and most-likely doesn't make it out in time. Really just talk to the owners like others have said. If their dealing in drugs take pictures and video. Just think how cheap you'll get the property when it goes to auction after it's confiscated. And you can rent it out to neighbors of your own choosing. Always remember there is opportunity through difficulty. A wise man once said that and it's true just find it. Oh..one other thing don't for get to tell the cops there about silent dogs. They may have one.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a handgun is what you have by all means use it. I had a situation, actually several, where I was forced to shoot dogs in the line of duty. Each time I had a shotgun in hand.

The last one I shot was a big pitbull male that had charged me twice. Each time I turned my back to walk away he would charge. The third charge he wasn't bluffing. I shot him at close range with a round of double 00 buck shot. It rolled him but to my suprise he got up and ran off. Later, the owner flagged me down to tell me his dog had been shot. I looked at the dog and recognized it as the one I had shot. I told him what had happened. He didn't fuss too much at the moment but came in later wanting the city to pay for the vet bill.

Point is, one round of double 00 buckshot through the neck at close range and the dog is still alive to this day. I never would have believed even a pitbull could take that and live but I am now a believer. I normally try to head shoot em unless I have orders not to but this one dodged at the last second. I shot one at close range with a .410 shotgun but a head shot put it down post haste.

Bode
  • ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I work at a vet clinic, I have absolutely no trust or love for pits at all. Their jaws are very powerful, yes, but instinctively, when a pit bites, it locks down and will not release. Therein lies the kicker. Almost impossible to get away from. I'd probably plug him in the head, too, if he came at me. We just lost our Doberman not too long ago, and he was the sweetest most gentle thing you could ever meet, and every dobe that we've had in our clinic has been the same way. I'm in agreement with y'all though, it's the owner's training mostly that causes certain behavior tendencies in a dog. If a pit's rushing me, he gets plugged in the head.

Peace
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Flying Clay Disk,

My first sentence states, "If a handgun is what you have, by all means use it". My point was to illustrate that one shot from a handgun may not stop the attack and folks who have never been in that situation need to know that. A head shot is probably the best bet but I'd be willing to bet if I were being attacked by a dog I'd have a hard time shooting him in the head with a handgun. At least with the first shot.

Obviously, even a shotgun at close range will not pattern very wide and is not always 100% effective unless you head shoot em.

Just be careful, use your head, (ie remain as calm as possible), make the shot and report it to the Police and/or Sheriff's Office. Tell your side of the story then kindly asked that someone come out and remove the carcus from your property.

Bode
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was at my friends house friday to pick some grapes . hispit came to me and snifed, as i went to pet him he growled. the owner grabed him and told him to settle . he was then fine with me being there and we even played a little. then my buddy and his dog went to the house, and i continued to pick the grapes. when i was finished i went to the door to tell him thanks for the grapes and bang it happened the damn dog come right through the storm door glass . just as i went to retreat the owner grabed him as the dog bit my pants. i told him dont worry about me comming back as long as you have that devil. i have never seen a dogs personality change so quick
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard a survey invitation on the radio to poll how many people think Pit Bull Terrior's should not be allowed to be pets. I never heard the results. When we renewed our Homeowners Insurance they evidently sent a guy to come look at the property, of course the Dogs would not allow him in the yard. But he noted my Boxer Buddy who is Brindle in color as a pit and I got a cancellation of insurance notice. I had to call and tell them he was no pit bull. That fixed things but Nationwide will not insure someone with a pit bull. They didnt say a thing about my Dobermans or Buddy after they found out he wasnt a Pit.
    edited November -1
    Pitbulls are one of the best breed of dog out there! They are one of the most loyal and loving breeds of dog there is. Not to mention the character and personality of each dog is so unique and cool, these dogs are like drinking buddies they are cool to hang out with. They are VERY smart and VERY VERY active, think of a pit as a 12 year old kid with a hyper active disorder. They need lots of attention and love and they will make the greatest pet and FAMILY protector a man could ask for.

I wish some of you people would quit implying that this is the devils breed, that is simply not true! I think you guys are just jealous cause your "high dollar" 200lb guard dog would get its * kicked by a 40lb pit.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I am not going to have either a 200 pound guard dog or a 40 pound pit. I don't need a brutish dog to validate my masculinity, and I darn sure don't want to be mistaken for a banger or a tweaker.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber

I think you guys are just jealous cause your "high dollar" 200lb guard dog would get its * kicked by a 40lb pit.

Now if this statement doesn't take the 'Stoopid Statement of the Day' prize, I don't know what does!

Hangin' out with Michael Vick these days are ya?

What do I win?

besides the day isn't over yet, you have more posting to do [:o)]
    edited November -1
    Weather it be a pit or a pug, If the animal has bad intentions, causing problems for neighbors and can not be controlled by it's owner then it's open game. It just so happens that when a pit is involved, there is a greater possibility of damage or harm that can be done. As I said before, I stongly beleive it's all about the raising of these animals......but you have to call a spade a spade. In the current situation big800 has a problem with a poorly trained pit, it is what it is.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sith Lord
    Weather it be a pit or a pug, If the animal has bad intentions, causing problems for neighbors and can not be controlled by it's owner then it's open game. It just so happens that when a pit is involved, there is a greater possibility of damage or harm that can be done. I stongly beleive it's all about the raising of these animals......but you have to call a spade a spade. In the current situation big800 has a problem with a poorly trained pit, it is what it is.

agreed.

I would have to get dirty hairy on that dog...
    albumpicphpsr7.jpg