In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting Wild Pigs...................

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
Any Forum Members ever hunt Wild Pigs? If so where might a good place be?Sounds to be pretty exciting.

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a ton of fun! especialy if you run into a whole herd. largest taken in my area was 868 lbs (we have a serious pig problem) But for eating the 80-90 pounders are good, but then It depends on what the have been eating. Cleaning them is the only thing I cant do. The smell makes me sick.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Select fire and I are trying[;)][:D]. Good place to start is swampy areas. Look for sings of rooting and rubs on trees.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have them bad around here. Have traps and have caught up to 14 at onetime. we useually keep them and feed them out before we butcher.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might go down to Texas to hunt hogs with a friend of mine that lives down there. I'll either use my .454casull or my 30-30. Either one should do the trick. Although the .454 may be overkill.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around Uvalde, Texas. Great pig hunting. Lots of ferrel hogs the size of small yugoslavian cars. There are several hunting ranches in that area, I'm sure you can find info online.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going in the morning with the 12 gauge slugs/ 00 buck.
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    s.gun - We've shot and butchered lots of "wild" feral hogs here in south Louisiana. Not much of a hunt, but A+ groceries. I have found it just fine barbecued (ribs and chops) and we grind and mix lots of it with deer for sausage. We lack the scalding/scraping/hair slipping skills and merely hang them and skin and butcher like a deer after a soapy scrubbing and hosing down. Mostly shot from elevated deer stand over pile of corn generally late in the evening. Here they are as nocturnal as deer and I don't know how one would hunt them in the daytime without dogs - now I had an uncle who used to run hogs in the woods and he had dogs but that's a story for another time and not what you're looking to hear about now.

Over here they are along the river and hardwood bottoms. Not hard to kill with rifle shot to the head - these shots are 30 feet at the most with a still target from above. I've seen at least 4 killed with a 22 long rifle in the forehead. This has been my only experience with them and we do it like that every winter. Again, very fine table fare. Good luck to you.

timbroman@aol.com
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF--Let me hunt with you and I'll do the work afterwards. I used to work in a piggie packing plant and the sights and smells of piggie innards don't bother me a bit--even the big hairy nasty smelling boars.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Los Padres national forest here in Calif. has Russian/Feral cross breeds that get huge.Purebred Russians got loose from the Hearst castle zoo years ago. Carry a large cal. handgun if you are in heavy brush, these bad boys will come after you. They can't see worth a darn but their sense of smell and hearing are excelent.FRANCF..where you located? Lets go get some bacon!
    edited November -1
    idsman- Its a funny thing, I can gut anything else no problem. Pigs I don't know what it is! the smell just turns my stomach. The only thing I can think of is, its always been during the summer and the heat Intensifies the smell.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
    edited November -1
    TRAP55
    just down the coast about 2 hours I have huffed a few parts of Los padres on the Fort hunter ligget side. I had a good friend about 10 years ago that was hunting with his two sons. These guy ran across 6 of them in a bowel 9 shots six pigs[:D] Right now I am still trying to hook up with the wifes friend that has a winery in N. Santa cruz that has a big problem with them tearing up the vinyards.

When me and the other guys get another pig hunt going I will give ya a shout. We go as a group, but we hunt 2x2. More fun than a person should be alowed to have![:D]

The place I really want to hit bad, is around the Heast Castle area. Got a 25-06 that I have wanting to try on hogs[:D][:D][:D]

Forgot to add That is my Varmint area Just over the bridge leaving Hunter ligget and into los podres (through the main gate). There is a nice long 800+ yard canyon full of ground squirrels.[:p]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear the wineries in the Sonoma valley are having a real bad problem with them too. My problem is they don't want you hunting on their property because of liability issues. Pigs and G-squirrels? Thats just too much fun in one place! Please do give me a holler when ya go.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mainly trap them. My buddy and I caught 31 last year. I butchered 8 small ones (under 150 pounds) for the freezer.

Another buddy took me "hog'en and dog'en" last Febuary. We let the bay hounds chase them down and bay, then we would bring up the pit bulls for the takedown. That morning we caught 9 hogs...alive! Needless to say, it was one of the wildest experiences I ever had.

But if the folks at SPCA ever saw it, they would pitch a fit.

Rafter-S
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No hunting today.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I have numerous reports that we now have feral hogs in western Washington. A friend and I are looking into hunting them. Sounds fun.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Used to hunt wild pigs every weekend, when i was single.....then found a nice girl. Friday night hog troll....2 Pabst Blue Ribbons, attatched to your belt loops with mono line, walk slowly around bar, or dance floor, punctuating air with calls of ...'my trucks paid off, my trailer has a jacuzzi, wanna go to denny's? it's big...ask my sister'. Also found that having at least half of my teeth blacked out, a baseball cap, and flannel were great attractants.

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like mike was at Murphys Law a little too long today..

www.ammoday.com
    bulletline.gif
    edited November -1
    haven't been there in years. Used to close bar down more than Murphy...laffs

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    Used to hunt wild pigs every weekend, when i was single.....then found a nice girl. Friday night hog troll....2 Pabst Blue Ribbons, attatched to your belt loops with mono line, walk slowly around bar, or dance floor, punctuating air with calls of ...'my trucks paid off, my trailer has a jacuzzi, wanna go to denny's? it's big...ask my sister'. Also found that having at least half of my teeth blacked out, a baseball cap, and flannel were great attractants.

What the hell does all that mean, maybe those 2 pabst blue ribbons are getting to ya! [?][?]

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent) crosshair.gif
    edited November -1
    pabst was bait....i drink labatts.......