In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Coin Collectors?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Tell me what ya know about one of these:

penny.jpg

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Comments

• H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What year is it, and mint mark if you can tell. Normally die errors aren't worth much, except to those people who collect die errors.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I got a coin book but it is from 1985 and that error in a lincoln cent was 5 bucks back then. Course the coin business is shakey at the best.

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

edited November -1
    Yeah, it's hard to say with something like that. Like anything else, it's really only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

• kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That coin looks like the year should be there. My US coin redbook puts it at $3-3.50

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
    edited November -1
    Its a 1999 no mint mark visable

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

• soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Used to collect coins years ago , before I started collecting guns.Got out of it because you couldn`t do much with em.Just look at em and keep them locked up so the kid couldn`t take them to the nearest party store and spend them on candy. Figured if I had to keep my collection locked up I might as well collect guns.At least you can take them out and shoot them once in a while.

Had a penny like your`s and sold it.Don`t remember what I got for it,but it wasn`t much.You might look for them at the flea markets you got to in your area to see what they go for today.
    edited November -1
    Look at this: http://www.coinsite.com/html/USErrorPrices.asp

edited November -1
    Thanks for the link. It helps[:D]

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

• BabalooieBabalooie Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This type of error coin is relatively common. Usually, they're culled by armour car type people who handle newly minted bags of coins and get first dibbs. Unless there's some rarity to it, the value is probably around $5.00 give or take a buck. That's the price you'd have to pay a dealer. If you sold it, you'd be lucky to get 3.00 for it. You're better off keeping it for the conversation value. Regardless, it's a neat thing to have; something not every collector has.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietsche
    "Only the strong survive."
    - Jerry Butler
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Hi, I am a numismatic expert. I have been a member of the American Numismatic Association since 1989 and have written on the subject extensively. What you have is a common Lincoln cent which is off center approx. 20% @K11 (clock position). The current Error Coin Encyclopedia and Error Coin Trends Magazine put the value at $2.75 wholesale. These are exceedingly common and are usually sold at national coin shows for $1-$10 depending on the degree of misstrike.
    Copper zinc examples are worth considerably less than copper examples prior to 1959. Memorial Lincoln cents have considerably higher mintages than Wheaties prior to 1959. I hope its been helpful.
    FYI: Certain errors and die varities sell for $100,000+, others like the 1955 doubled die are very popular with collectors and range from $300 to $2000, depending upon grade.

ANA R-179758

Brian Ostro.
    member: NRA, John Birch Society, American Numismatic Association.
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Classic, Now if you had found a 1955/55 double die then you might have something! But it's not so just put it up as a keepsake to remember that even the "most skilled employees" and their "most skilled supervisors" "make a let"(Grandpas term for a mistake) now and then! GHD